Chuck - Gunnel Construction | SouthernPaddler.com

Chuck - Gunnel Construction

JEM

SGInterior.jpg

How thick are those strips to make the slotted gunnels? What kind of wood did you use? How solid? Any flex at all?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JEM said:
(SNIP) Anyone else have a technique they use?
Yep. But Chuck did a better looking job. Here's what I did.

I used 1 X 2 and cut off triangles. I used 45-45-90 right triangles because they could easily be cut from a strip and easily measured off with a tri-square. Additionally, I bored a large hole in the center of the triangle for lightness. I didn’t sand them enough to smooth them as I should have. I had a great idea from an engineering point of view, but sloppy executo0in from a finish carpenter’s point of view.

They were too thick, but I didn’t realize that until I put the inside gunnel (inwale) strip on. I spaced the triangles evenly along the inside edge of the boat, with the 90 degree corner hidden. I had two rows, one for the top edge and another for the bottom edge of a 3â€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My construction is almost like Jacks. I used screen trim molding 1/4 inch thick and 3/4 inches wide. Cut the center pieces at a 45 degree angle and 2 1/2 inches long. (you can see that on the right side of the boat , picture , since the inside ,full length strip has not been attached yet)

Each one was epoxyed on with the longer part at the top and spaced 3 inches apart. Then the inside railing was attached. The railing was sanded so everything is flush and what wasn't was filleted with epoxy and wood flour to make it even.

The whole process adds about two more days to the building ... most of the time is waiting for the epoxy to cure or set up.

All of the wood is epoxy saturated. I use them as lash points if necessary and I also hang my water bottle from them. It has a Velcro strap on it and the strap fits thru the slot to hold the water bottle close by me.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Wasn't it Kevin who used a router straight bit to route out a 1/2" inwale and set into the hull and out wale? It was very clean. Don't know what the wood was..
swampy
ps he has a picture of a fish ( bonefish?) on the forum here and you can see the inwales there. In fact I think below that he shows his jig for cutting out the notches.