Chucks' Reminiscences | SouthernPaddler.com

Chucks' Reminiscences

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
Just for fun I've reviewed this entire board over the last few days. One of the things that really struck me was some of Chucks' memories that were the fuel to start this particular campfire. So I've edited a selection of them---taking a few mild editorial liberties here and there. Forgive me Chuck----but I think it makes a very good read!

I've reviewed my own contributions and except for being opinionated and the occasional lack of diplomacy there's a world of factual airgun data in them for future new airgunners with unlimited questions. Some things I would like to have said more clearly or tactfully but in retrospect I'm hardly without a few warts as a person so if that is reflected in my words it's only just.

Bearridge oughta be pulling in at the Bluff any time now----unless he decides to push for home---he's stopping off for the night on his way back to MS after paddling the Buffalo.

Enjoy! Tom @ Buzzard Bluff
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck wrote:
Thinking about things.......... General section post about running a trap line and the pleasures of it. Got me to thinking---------

I have one of the older Crosmans--anyway I think it is older one---only have had it a good 50 years. .22 cal with open sights. I have shot it so much I don't have to use the sights, just point and go. It has gotten everything from coons to robins. Even used it when running a trap line, 'cause it is nice and quiet and I could do a little hunting while working the traps. Had a neighbor (widow woman) and she liked those tree rats so I would get her a few while running the line and the darn thing had to be run twice a day.

Today I just shoot for pleasure, not hunting or competition but just punching holes in a target, which I enjoy. At a later time it might provide some hunting pleasures but for now it is all I can ask for.

For you folks stepping into the middle of this conversation what we are talking about is the Benjamin/Sheridan (Blue Streak) 177 cal , Pneumatic Air Rifle and Bushnell Scope ,I ordered from Cabelas.

I am----just enjoying it in the back yard for now. Later when out paddling it can furnish supper. If not then I have plenty or items here that can....but I like the Benjamin/Sheridan the best. Just call me ole fashioned........those times were a lot simpler and a darn sight more fun and I sure as heck want to go back for that, I really miss them.....even the Beenie weinees.... :roll:

You can have today ........... I will take yesterday or yesteryear and now I have the ability to do it .... Air rifles and wood boats on a river just to let me enjoy the rest of my life in the style I did when I didn't know any better and thought things would be better.

Back when I was able to do anything I wanted I have gotten a lot of critters with a Bow. In fact I still have quite a few here at the house. Might have to get them back out and see if they still work. Long Bows and Recurves not this modern crap with all of the gadgets.

My take with a bow has been ... Deer .. Turkeys ... Hogs ... Quail ...Tree Rats...Bob Cats .... Dillers... a ton of fish and some other things I can't say because of the laws down here..

Yes-----we had a group I use to hunt with .....We called ourselves the Bushmen. (and still do) .

As time creeps up on you and you get older sometimes a person has to regress and with the Air Rifle ( just like I did when I was a kid out camping) I can still get supper when out paddling.

No----not what we use to get but today I am by myself out there, the rest of the guys are in different parts of this country. So my needs for supper is a lot less.

They are with me in my thoughts but that is about it.......... When I sit by a campfire enjoying the pleasures of being out there it makes me feel like a teenager again remembering those times.

As we progress in today's world ......... we regress for pleasure......... any way I do.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom...

Ya caught me. I use to be on the outside of the law to a small degree :roll: , nothing serious.
Now remember this was back in the dark ages when a person could sort of side step the rules to make a buck and have something the eat , which we really appreciated.
Nothing like today with subdivisions all over the area and even in the areas that use to be so rich with game.

Anyway that life taught me how to be quiet in the woods , see everything and know what was going on. There are a lot of folks back then that never knew I was there noticing/watching them without them seeing me or even knowing I was in the area. There was this one couple .... I better not go there Jack will have a heart attack or a bad night sleeping thinking about what they were doing and it was not the only time or only ones I noticed for that. :lol: :lol:

That life helped me when I stepped over to the right side of the law and was out there paddling / camping and catching those guys. As soon as the locals found out I was playing Game Warden for the Sheriffs Office the sale of hunting licenses tripled in this area. Heck , I use to hunt with them before that switch in my life and knew exactly what and how they did things. You want to get someone , then paddle into a area , camp and you will get them.
A bicycle is also a stealthy item on dry ground like a canoe is on the water ....Peddle the bike , a vehicle shows up , hit the bushes with it and after it passes then continue on your journey. That trick nailed a lot of folks. :lol:

Like I say ... Energy is wasted on the youth and later only the elderly gain the wisdom , the whole system is backwards but that is just life and the way life was back then.

Yep... Been there and did a lot of things , some good and some questionable and some I will never tell you about. :? Guess that is one reason I have solo camped for the most of my life , no one to worry about but myself and one person can go where two can't , if you get the drift.

Chuck.
Tom you are a dangerious person ... Just brought back some really good memories of those days and some days not that far back , not that far at all. :lol: