Cincinnati Chili | SouthernPaddler.com

Cincinnati Chili

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Single digit temps, wind chill well below zero, blowing snow, freezing rain, man we're eat'n just to keep warm. This is one of our winter favorites, not exactly a Dr.Atkins favorite.
Cincinnati Chili
2-3 lbs lean ground beef
Couple onions chopped fine
about a 100 cloves garlic chopped fine
green pepper chopped fine

Brown the ground beef, drain the grease, add the onion, pepper and garlic and stir it in to cook.

After the beef and veges are cooked, put in: 3 Tbsp wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, about 1 1/2 C. ketchup, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, 1 C. of water(you may need more if it thickens up too much), as much cayenne pepper as you can handle, a couple of pinches of allspice, 1 pinch of ground cloves, 2 pinches of dried mustard, a bay leaf, 1 tsp cinnamon, dash of salt and black pepper, 3 pinches of ground cumin, about 3-4 tbsp of chili powder, about 12 ounces of tomato sauce, a little grated unsweeted chocolate(just a little), 16 oz. can of kidney or chili beans(no need to drain 'em.)
Stir it up real good, cover and simmer for about 2 hours, add water to thin if you need to.

Pull out the bay leaf and discard.

Serve the chili over cooked hot cooked pasta, top with shredded cheddar cheese and fine chopped onion. (I like to sprinkle a little dried habenero pepper on mine as well)

There are a hundred ways to make this chili so you can adapt it to suit your taste. Add or take away.

Jean

Hi Oldyaker,

Now that sounds to cold to go outside! Swampy got the cold weather in this state. We didn't get any snow in western NC for once.
Believe it or not, I have one large scout group that had me convert the Cincinati Chili recipe to dry for them to use out camping. I usually fix a dry bulk blend up for them every summer. I think sometimes they use Ramen noodles just to make it quick. Anyway they love it!

Jack, pineapple in chili? Might be good, I like sweet and sour oriental dishes, so why not chili.

Jean

P.S.

Here are some good corn sticks to go with the chili:

Cheddar Jalapeno Cornsticks
Makes 14 cornsticks

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 large egg
4 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (1 cup)
1/4 cup finely chopped scallion (white and pale green parts only)
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh jalapenos (no seeds)
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

Use a well-seasoned 9-inch cast iron skillet or 2 cornstick pans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat pans in middle of oven 10 minutes. Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in another bowl and add cornmeal mixture with cheddar, scallion, jalapenos, and 2 tablespoons butter, stirring, until just combined. Remove pans from oven and divide remaining 2 tablespoons butter among corn stick molds. Quickly divide batter among molds (about 3 tablespoons each) and bake until a tester comes out clean and tops are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool corn sticks in pans 3 to 5 minutes before removing from molds. Serve warm. Note: If using a cast-iron skillet, pour all of batter into it and bake 15 to 20 minutes.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Calamity I haven't a clue as to why you, way up there in the sky , didn't get this winter storm! :lol:
Not a good day to go outside at all. Freezing rain and a small wind to add some chills..
Jack, a word on pineapples. Try a pizza with ham and pineapples on it.
Try Tempora mix to fry up some pineapple slices! yum-yum
Jean, didn't get to the shrimp & coconut w/rice tonight... :cry:
youngest son treated KT by making dinner tonight instead....
Tomorrow !!!! :D
Now fog rolling in.... thick....

swampy

Jean

Swampy,

I love fried pineapple. The chinese resturants around here fix it for their buffet. Great stuff, fried bananas too!

How about sharing that recipe for shrimp, coconut and rice. Sounds interesting!

Sounds like KT really got a treat. Our son loves to cook, and would fix dinner for us now and then. Now that he is married, he does all of the cooking for his family. My daughter - in - law, great girl, but doesn't cook at all. :shock: Yes, I still send her recipes. :lol: I think it must be working some, she fixed my chocolate chip pie recipe for Christmas. It's a start. :wink:

Calamity Jean

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

I like garlic myownself, but 100 cloves? Sometimes I git mixed up usin' naughts....reckon that happened ta you too? Reckon how long would it take ta fine chop 100 garlic cloves? :wink:

Ya'll kin put all the pineapple 'n stuff ya want in yer chili, but dont never go ta Texas talkin' that way. It would be kinda like gwine over ta Rome City 'n tellin' how ya think the Pope wears some mitey funny hats. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. Bambi (not Kayak Jacks) goes good in chili. Black beans, if ya gwine ta use beans. Duck breast chili wuz good too. I dont know bout possum, but coon would do fine.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
?

Bar, To borrow from a movie line. You can't handle a 100 cloves!
I'm from the school of the more garlic the better. At the begining of the last century when the world wide killer flu was going around, Grandpap and his boarders and relatives were the grave diggers. The Doctor came to these guys to help dig the large number of graves for the flu victums. No one in his house got the flu. According to him, "We ate alot af garlic and hot pepper. We also drank alot of home made wine and snake bite medicine. No one got sick in my house!" I guess the argument can be made that no one wanted to get near these guys so the germ wasn't passed to them. Any way it worked.
So yep, a 100 cloves, no typo error here!
:wink: :wink:
:) Swampus Chefus. Like Jean said, pass on the coconut shrimp recipe, I wanna see if it's like the one we use. Thanks!

Jean

Garlic ‘smart bomb'

Hi Oldyaker,

Thought you folks might like to see this information I have on garlic.
Makes that chili of yours sound like the perfect thing for sore throat and flu. :wink:
Jean

Garlic ‘smart bomb'

- 08/01/2004 - Scientists in Israel have developed a new delivery method that allows the garlic compound allicin to selectively kill cancer cells, leaving healthy ones intact. Testing currently is on mice.

Allicin is the substance that gives garlic its distinctive aroma and flavour. It is also potent and has been shown to kill not only cancer cells, but also the cells of disease-causing microbes, and even healthy human body cells. A researcher in the UK is currently using it to fight the hospital superbug MRSA.

Allicin is also highly unstable and breaks down quickly once ingested.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
You can't handle a 100 cloves ?

I know you aren't taling to me... :!: We all love garlic in my house...they have to... being Italian/Polish that is a requirement :!: KAHUNA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
CAUTION - Chili with 100 cloves of garlic - STRIKE NO MATCHES!

Reminds me of the story about the difference between a cocktail lounge and an elephant fart - one is a barroom, and the other is a BARROOM!!!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Oh Brother

Jack, You havn't lived until been in deer camp with these guys! :roll: A large bowl of chili and beers while playing cards until bunk time. The only thing worse than the torture of sleeping in that bunk house, was the tear gas training building at Fort Polk, LA. in 1967 :cry: .
And there have been nights when I would have chose the tear gas :!:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker

OK

Lets rename this to Garlic Chili, mostly Garlic.

The benefits are great and to many to list all of them down on this small forum with only a limited space of 10,000 members.

I would think the main benefits are .........

1. Cooking it all of the critters in the house are chased out into the frozen weather. Better to cook it in the South where the windows can be opened and only the neighbors will be chased away. :D

2. When eating it, again no one would be in the neighborhood so there is not any worries there.

3. Going out in public, like shopping at a crowded mall .... One exhale and the mall is yours. :wink:

4. No worries about getting sick no self respecting germ would even get close to you.

5. A new form of birth control, unless you are good at holding your breath. A Tic Tac forget it. :roll:

6. About three days later, or sooner, any bathroom is all yours for the next five days, unless you are in a military town where everyone has a gas mask.

7. Make sure you have purchased a lot of stock in the garlic market. :lol:

Darn this chili is sounding better every day. Take it camping and after supper have the whole campground all to your self, providing the National Guard did not show up due to the use of a weapon of gastric destruction. :oops:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dry Chili

I liked Jean's comment about dehydrating the chili. That seems to have slipped past most of us. Since dried garlic looses some potency, I'd double the load there.

(conversation overheard from near a simulated gun pit)
"Target acquired. Bearing 276 True, distance 1 meter. Load and lock"

"Gas rounds loaded. Fuses set for zero delay and proximity. Canisters set for max dispersion pattern. Phasers set to stun."

"On my mark ... 5, 4, 3, 2, WAIT - - - WAIT .... HOLD YOUR FIRE ....HOLD YOUR FIRE. We have called in napalm on our own position. ABORT ABORT ABORT!"

(soft tapping heard at a door, then) "Chuckie, are you asleep yet. Mommy and Daddy are hearing noises from your room again, and ... MY GOD YOU STINK! What have you been eating??"

(Not a darn thing ...just forgot to use my Right Guard today... :lol: :lol: ..Chuck )