Clark Hammock | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Clark Hammock

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
O K, so I’m a couple of days late. For me, that’s right on time.

TENTING WITH A CLARK NX-250

Well the book says it can be done and they are correct. Do you want to?. I guess if there is NO other option then go for it.

I personally think that just using a ground cloth and the tarp set overhead would be a better option. The bugs may get at ya but,…… your choice.

As a tent, it is about like a coffin. Not much room at all. It is doable tho.

I followed the directions the first time and was a bit disappointed in the result. So, I made 4 loops out of small line and put them on the tabs. That helped quite a bit.

The one thing I would recommend while setting the hammock up this way is. Peg the 4 tabs first. Then string the peak lines for each end. The last thing is to put the stakes at the gather points for each end.

Using the extra loops on the tabs allows you to get a “bathtub” effect and TO ME seamed to work a bit better. In that set up, there was no problem zipping the shields.

001.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
In the above picture do you have the bug netting tied off or is it just laying there loose.
The reason I am asking is with the Tropical when it is set up the netting is nice and tight over the top of the hammock. Almost like there is a ridge line holding it up but it is just tied off to the trees or supports being used.
Just trying to get an idea about the two of them and the differences. You definitely have more bells and whistles with yours. :D

Chuck.
In a few weeks I will be able to give a report about the sketter proofing ( no bite) part of the hammock. I'm sure there will be a lot of those little swamp angles where I will be. :lol:

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
The bug netting is an intergral part of the hammock. It looks loose but, when I get in , it tightens up and there is plenty of room.

I like the fact that I can twist and turn, scoot from end to end and not feel as if I was going to fall out.

This thing is stable.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
a Bald Cypress said:
The bug netting is an intergral part of the hammock. It looks loose but, when I get in , it tightens up and there is plenty of room.

I like the fact that I can twist and turn, scoot from end to end and not feel as if I was going to fall out.

This thing is stable.

They say it is a very stationary hammock and they are right while trying it in the back yard . As far as the rest I trust them 100% on there claims and will more after my little excursion into the Florida wilds in a short time from now.

If something is not worth anything the proof of it pops it's ugly head up while camping in the swamp , that is what separates the junk from the good stuff. Heat , Bugs , Critters , Humidity , Rain and all sorts of things that like's to make your life miserable while out there camping. If you can have a enjoyable time then what you have with you is the key to that enjoyment , especially a good nights sleep.

All I can say is that in the back yard it is a top notch hammock and I have been camping , sleeping or just relaxing in hammocks all my life .... Really looking forward to the swamp test ,in more ways then one. It will be fun and this recon trip can't get here to soon.

Good or bad I plan to file a report with Clark Hammocks , actually a link off the one I will post on here for there information if the want to use it.
Same thing I did with the Hennessey Hammock , it has served me well in all sorts of weather , good and some that was really nasty , really nasty weather , and is one great camping hammock.
Now for the Clark.

Chuck.
PS. For anyone wondering about what I post on here concerning the camping merchandise I use ... I do not have any sponsors or commitments of any type to anyone , everything I post about is purchased out of my pocket and used by me with no favors or obligations owed to anyone........ All reports are my own ideas , likes or dislikes and only mine.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I really like the one picture with the Jeep in it , wish I had that Jeep. :D

"O"Well on this upcoming trip I have a almost modern one ( 6 years old) but not as nice as the one in the picture ( The Jeep) but will give the Clark Hammock a try since we need canoes to float the river threw the swamps.

In all seriousness there are a lot of hammocks out there and they are all great methods for a good nights sleep when camping. Just depends on what one you like and fits your needs.
Yes... I do like them a lot better then all of the tents I have had or have.

I have to try the Clark to see if it is really Swamp Angle proof while sleeping... not the ones that get in with me the ones that want me for a meal while I sleep , arms away from the netting. Not sure about the snakes or Gators , I could care less about them if they are not in the hammock.
One gps coordinate I got from someone who is there a lot told me about this little Island ( about 20 feet by 20 feet ) to camp on..... When he was there the last time he chased about 20 small gators off that high ground to put his tent up.... NO IDEA ....on what he thinks a small Gator is. :lol: :lol: Me , I would say anything under 6 feet.

Ya can bet we will have some swamp angles , South Florida swamp and wet lands in the middle of nowhere and late summer to boot .... "O" Yes they will be there.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
He said he made a bigger rain fly from clear plastic sheeting and really like the fact you could look out.
Ron

Lazyriver guy when camping in his hammock ties off a 16 by 20 foot tarp over his. It all just boils down to what the person wants or is willing to do for there pleasure and comfort.

I do like the idea of the clear plastic , lets you lay there seeing everything , one of the privileges of hammock sleeping. Heck you could even do it in a tent. Leave that solid rain fly packed in the bag. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ronnie, thanks. The Mosquito Hammock is the first one I've seen that looks more useful and has some design features I wish the Hennessy had. Other hammocks I've seen are not very well designed, are heavy, or are unnecessarily complicated. It took a long time for someone to put out a hammock that I would consider as better than a Hennessy.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Well there are no pics. so maybe it didn't happen. however, I felt as if I went camping this last weekend and spent two nights in my NX250. We went to

the Martin Dies Jr, State Park just west of Jasper, Tx. The park is on the B.A. Stinhagen Reservour. The purpose of the trip was to canoe about 12

miles of the Neches River which we did on Saturday. The park itself is very nice with lake sites and others. We chose to camp by the lake and had

beautiful views. One thing that was a bit of a spoiler was the traffic on 190 which bisects the lake. Our camp was about 1/2 mile from the road but, you could still

hear the traffic. Other than that, it was very enjoyable.

There was no problem picking out trees for hanging. After checking aloft for dead limbs, I set up right by the lake tied to a couple of six or eight inch pines.

I do not have any of the "fancy" rings and things for my hammock. It is a standard original strap and rope setup. I do have some home-made tie-downs

for my tarp but, nothing to extravagant.

The temps got down to the 38-42 degree range at night. I had an old, 20+ years, polyester sleeping bag which I used plus I have one of the $2.00 felt

blankets/throws from Wally World. I fold the blanket/throw up about 1/3 of the length and lay it in the hammock using the folded area for a pillow

and the rest goes under the bag and covers the area about down to my waist. Both nights I was comfortable. Not hot nor cold. I feel as if I could

have easily gone down to 32 or so using this setup.

So that makes a grand total of one week in the 250. All in all, I am very happy with it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The drip rings that came with my Clark Hammock are designed to pass the main lines around so if any water comes down the lines it hits them and then drips off in place of making it all the way to the hammocks body. A simple principal since the line from the tree to the ring is one line width lower then the line going to the body by passing threw and under the ring.

The other use ( which I really enjoy) is using the ring set up the way it is intended and then bringing the main line back to it and running it threw the ring and tieing it off to itself with three half hitches. That lets me have the ability of adjusting the hammock without having to tie and untie then retie the lines.

That is how I tied it when on this last trip and it does not slip or move when you are in the hammock but can be moved or adjusted by the camper.
They have a video of it in there news Section on the left side of there web site http://www.junglehammock.com/
. Look for the ......... See the easiest way to tie up your hammock.
Chuck.