Clunker Math......... | SouthernPaddler.com

Clunker Math.........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The person who calculated this bit of information went to high school in Pittsburgh , Pa. He is now & has been a professor at The University of West Virginia in Morgantown , West Virginia for the last forty some years. I never looked at the clunker program in such depth.

Clunker Math

Think of it this way: A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per year. That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.
More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.
We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved. :wink:
I'm pretty sure they will do a great job with our health care, though.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Chuck, I wish you would stop posting items such as this. My day was going well, have just put the final coat of varnish on some cabinets. Had a nice ham sam-witch for lunch and am thinking of watching She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.
Now, after reading your post, I'm getting a headache, becoming more, if that is possible, annoyed at the wasteful govt we have elected and am working on my retirement ulcer.

THANKS A BUNCH

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
This is a two year old fiasco. How about anything recent?

I had Breakfast today , even followed it up with lunch and just finished Supper ...Fixing to take a shower and then hit the sack but the last two items are yet to be done at this time and place. Will be completed when you read this but then I am not the government , just a tax payer.

As far as the government the other information takes time to complete then to be published so anyone can dissect it....... Two Years is quite fast in these days and times. :lol:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
All that math doesn't even take into consideration the carbon footprint of digging,transporting, smelting, making the steel, transporting the steel, forming the steel into new car parts, transporting those parts, building the cars, transporting the cars to the dealer. Most of this goes for all of the other materials that a car is made of.

Add to that crushing the old clunkers, shredding and sorting, transporting, re-melting, reforming parts, transporting those parts, etc. , etc. ............

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
jdupre' said:
All that math doesn't even take into consideration the carbon footprint of digging,transporting, smelting, making the steel, transporting the steel, forming the steel into new car parts, transporting those parts, building the cars, transporting the cars to the dealer. Most of this goes for all of the other materials that a car is made of.

Add to that crushing the old clunkers, shredding and sorting, transporting, re-melting, reforming parts, transporting those parts, etc. , etc. ............

Joey

Joey went and gave me a headache. :? :(
Bob