Commodores take on the St Marys | SouthernPaddler.com

Commodores take on the St Marys

Commodore

Dec 13, 2003
Melbourne Beach, Fl
TRADERS HILL

Although the weather reports were not that great (cold weather and possibly rain with a front moving in) your intrepid fellow paddlers showed up at a spot called Traders Hill near Folkston Georgia. Believe me when I say it was cold late in the afternoon. In the middle of this night I had my doubts of any pleasant trip. How wrong I was.
Our trips, as far as I am concerned starts off with introductions and laughing and finishes with hugs and laughing. Our trips are more beneficial than appointments with your local physician. We sat around a blazing fire until time to retire, generally around ten. The drink of choice with us is rum and coke although it is possible to find just about anything you might desire.
My partners on this trip was my pal Ray and Harry Jr. and his buddy Gary Dean. It was especially pleasant to have my son who is recently retired go with his old Dad. Also on the trip: Chuck, Joe Fennell and his friend Larry, Mac McCullough and the big Bear. Thank goodness for the Bear as later developments will explain.

1st Day: Breakfast at the local restaurant. Very good. We then went shopping at the local grocery. Steaks, pork, kielbasa, hot dogs, potatoes, regular and sweet, beans and all the accoutrements. I am sure that we could have fed another five guys or maybe I am just not a big eater. Suffice it to say we had plenty.
After about a ten minute ride we were at the outfitters. Steve who runs the place is a great guy, very accommodating. I have my own trailer that can carry four canoes and all the necessary equipment. He supplies a driver for me which eliminates unpacking and packing twice.

After going up stream for about thirty five miles it is time to unload. The real journey is about to start. This is the time I like.
After paddling for about sixty years I still look forward to shoving off. I like to think of it as an adventure. Each time something different.
After each storm the river takes on a new appearance. The fall colors were still showing on this trip. Reds, browns, orange and green. However we knew it was winter when flocks of robins begin showing up on their way to South America. Also on the river were many ducks. The gators are long ago holed up under the banks.
We paddled from noon hour until about two or two thirty and begin looking for a place to put up seven tents. The river really has many places to camp.
Paddling for two hours and our days quota was in. Set up tents, build fire and ready the Commodores chair and all is ready for snacks and drinks. After a dinner of steak and potatoes its time to get around the fire and talk the talk. To me it is very interesting because of the diverse backgrounds of all the fellows. We had a heavy equipment operator, 2 carpenters, an automobile mechanic, a sheriff, a power and light engineer, boat builder, Navy career man and a lawyer.
It is amazing to me with this diversity we all love the outdoors. Needless to say it is permissible to stretch the truth a bit although I am sure no one did.
Around ten the lights went out except for the full moon and on to the sleeping bag and tent. Day two, three and four later.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My Friend Harry,

The vittles wuz swell, jest like the coffee 'n the purty leaves. The water wuz fine fer us thrill junkies. Paddlin' downriver all day long jest aint my cup of tequila. The weather wuz first rate fer December.

When a fella haz been paddlin' 60 years, he oughta know how ta spoil hizownself in the evenin'. :wink: I learn somethin' frum you 'n Ray ever time I paddle with ya'll. I learnt a fair amount frum Chuck 'n the others too. I learnt some frum Mac, but nuthin' ya kin tell on here.

Folks pretty near ruint all the natural rivers, which iz awful sad, but the best part of our trips iz the paddlers. A sadness come on me when we wuz pullin' the canoes up the bank at the Thompkins take out. We wuz all headed back to the civilized world....tv 'n Mister Sam Walton stores everwhere ya turn.

regards,
bearridge

... the (United States) army has carried the American democratic ideal to its logical conclusion in the sense that not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed, and color, but also on the grounds of ability. Tom Lehrer

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Commadores Report

Thanks for your report Commadore. Each geezers report gives the reader a new vision of the trip. Looking forward to days two, three, and the pullout too. Dapper Al.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Dapper Al,

It wuz a purty motley crew without ya. I reckon ya seen that in the pichurs? The Edisto expedishun needs ya.

Ya gotta look good....ya gotta show some style when yer gwine downriver. Most of us looked like Mr. Alnott in that Afrikan Queen movie....before he lost all hiz gin 'n shaved hiz whiskers off. :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge
bodine gentleman society

A fine is a tax for doing wrong; a tax is a fine for doing well. Anonymous

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Mr. Alnott

Bear: My grandpappy (part Cree) told me many, many times. Young man, never, never go a day without shaving. When your alone in the woods for a long time it is easy to skip these daily chores but each one you let slip away moves you closer back to your native ways and those days will never return so wash every day, shave every day, keep clean, neat and watch everything all around you all the time. You don't have to talk about it but make sure those things are going thru your mind and you'll have few surprises. Nothing can hurt a man more than to be surprised by something happening without being aware of the possibility of it happening and and having a plan on how to handle it. (Or something like that) (Wise old man), and I guess some of that soaked in. May make for a dull outward appearance but I don't step in too much shit along the way, or take too many spills in the sharp curves of the river.

I have got the two trip dates on my calander Edesto and AuSable. I am living about four miles from the AuSable my favorite river (at the outlet, where it enters Lake Huron) and I invite all you guys to try and stop at my house as a part of your trip to the AuSable in May. It is quite a way from the put-in and/or take-out but there is plenty of room, could save some guys a few bucks vs. motel cost, and if anyone is interested let me know and we can work out the details. Later. Dapper Al.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Mr. Alnott

michstripcanoe said:
... and watch everything all around you all the time. You don't have to talk about it but make sure those things are going thru your mind and you'll have few surprises. Nothing can hurt a man more than to be surprised by something happening without being aware of the possibility of it happening and having a plan on how to handle it. (Or something like that) ...
In a fighter plane, it's called "situational awareness". IE: knowing what the hell is going on around you. Baron von Richtoven (Red Baron) said that most of his kills didn't even know he was any where around them until bullet holes started appearing in their aircraft. Major “Oooops!â€Â