concrete boat | SouthernPaddler.com

concrete boat

henry j

Jun 17, 2007
PO-DUNK SC.
Hi CATFISH
do you remember the guy in Jesup that built the big concrete boat in his yard, he worked at the paper mill and he built a 40' or so foot sail boat in his yard, I know he died before he finished it, It had turned green and the pine trees grew up around it some up to 85 ft. tall,I always wondered how they move it to water because the river was not deep enough for the thing to set in. I have tried to remembered his name something that started with a (L) like Lander or Lamb ??? who knows I met him once a very quite,smart,gentel man, I was about 15 at the time. Everyone said that it would sink,those were people that didn't know anything about concrete or anything else I am guessing.

Anyway I just wanted to know what happened to it.

henry j

henry j

Jun 17, 2007
PO-DUNK SC.
concrete boats

I have heard of several big boats being made out of concrete, I guess you could say drydocks are just concrete boats. I like to see things that people come up with like the sail boat in Jesup,it took him I know for a fact 30 years to get it to the point it was when he died. He was a HYD.ENG. at the paper mill and he did it all his self. The last ten years a ext-latter 20ft.long was propped up on the side so he could get in and out,but it rotted down way before he finished it.That was back in the early 1990-ish. One day it was just gone, best part is its 40 to 50 miles to any deep water.

Well it will be interesting to see how may people have seen concrete boats of any kind!!!

You can see I don't have anything to do or think about :lol: I really do its just to dang hot to fool with it.
henry j

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend henry,

When my brother wuz in college, he 'n some fellas built a concrete boat. They went up ta a lake out frum Memphis 'n raced it agin concrete boats made by boys frum other colleges. He didnt win. That wuz 35 years ago. He iz almost over it. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either. Anonymous

henry j

Jun 17, 2007
PO-DUNK SC.
concrete boats

First I would like to say everyone will please over look my spelling, my fingers move faster than my old brain and I never go back and proof read it because then I would just delete the whole thing :lol:
This has become a great past time for me and I enjoy all of the replys. Just wanted to get that out of the way. It would be nice if there was a spell checker on HERE! If anyone has one please drop it in the POST BOX.
I hear the HMFIC call me to dinner so I will give you's guys a break for a while.

Thanks for having me I do enjoy!

henry j

P.S. someday I will tell you the story about the 52 henry j!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: concrete boats

henry j said:
It would be nice if there was a spell checker on HERE!
Friend henry,

We had one, but it blew up.........kinda like Nagasaki. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Cyncicism, as a state of mind, produces more accurate observations about the universe that practically any other. Michael Wikoff

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
hi guys,
Many concrete liverty ships were built during WWII. They didn' last too long but they did their job. If anyone wants to see the remains of one ride the Galveston ferry from Bolivar to Galveston. What is lest of one is beached on Pelican Island. +
Bob

islandpiper

Concrete Canoe is a big deal many places. My son, now a civil engineer in Minnesota was very active in the program while in school. His girlfriend has continued the tradition and after being a part of the design and manufacturing team she went on to paddle to a Third Place in Womens Sprint at the Nationals this year. If you want to read more about it and see lots of pictures of these boats visit http://content.asce.org/inside/nccc2007/index.html Click on the gallery button on the first page for the pics.

Oh.....the important part (they'd both strangle me if I forgot to put this in....they paddled for University of Wisconsin-Platteville. GO PIONEERS!!

Piper

henry j

Jun 17, 2007
PO-DUNK SC.
un-sharp!!

Well friend wammabe I think the ,not being very sharp comes from the heart attacks I had back in Oct.(2)in ten days. Things just are not the same anymore but I didn't know how bad until now Sorry Guys. :shock: I will work on it!

henry j :eek:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Henry can,t say that I can place the boat you are talking about right now. there was one right as you was coming into brunswick. That isn, the one your talking about is it.
He was building a shrimp boat I believe . It took him several years too.

Where was it located exackly @ in jesup. I will see what I can find out. Man we need to get together one day I bet we could have some good times & remember alot of things.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: un-sharp!!

Friend henry,

Northwest South Carolina iz mitey purty. Swamprat's Dad haz a place out frum Clemson. Miz Bear 'n me looked at a place bout a mile frum the Chattooga River. If yer in that area, yer a lucky fella....cept fer all them dang heart attacks. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. Daniel Webster

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
There are plenty of concrete, home built yachts running up and down our coast.

They seem to go allright but are generally built by the sort of people who are not in a hurry to get anywhere and seem to travel from place to place as the season dictates. ie north for the winter and south for the summer.

Back in the 60s a heap of blokes were building concrete prawn trawlers (shrimp boats) but the idea never seemed to last very long. I haven't seen one in years.

henry j

Jun 17, 2007
PO-DUNK SC.
boats home/st

well catfish friend I am going to have to get a map of Jesup :lol: , I know you can throw a smooth flat river rock across it but its been a while, so I will do that today.
Yes I think it would be great to talk about Jesup and the long time ago stuff, I am going to come down in the fall( because I don't go anywhere in the summer time)just to hot! My old school chum James knows everything I don't know,he has always been there.
The boat down in Brunswick was small compaired to the one I am talking about. I asked my wife this morning and she said that the house was sold and the boat torn-down but that may not be correct. but that would not surprise me much.

I guess you new the Strickland Brothers that ran the old ice house and gas station for so long, they also sold boats and motors for a long time, but that was 10 years or so back.I am thinking they may know also.
Let me find a map because I can't remember the street names, funny I didn't think I would ever forget that!
It was good to hear from you again

henry j

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Henry Yea I do know the Strickland brothers. One works part time @ mcdonalds in jesup. I don,t know where the other brother is. I went to school with one,s son. They were good people. I used to buy ice all the time from them. You could get it in the block put it in your cooler & it would last all week even in the summer . :D Sure hated tosee them quit with it.

I don,t know why they quit with the gas station & ice house. I think the electricty bill was a factor with no more than they sold ice for. Henry i,m not old as you but I say those were the good times too back then.