Conversion Guide for using Olive & Interesting Facts. | SouthernPaddler.com

Conversion Guide for using Olive & Interesting Facts.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was surfing on the web looking for information on the processing of Olive Oil and found this which I found quite interesting about olive oil from http://www.napoleon-co.com

Chuck
Some of the benefits of using Olive Oil :D

Olive oil is enriched with vitamins, A, B-1, B-2, C, D, E and K, and is strong in iron. Olive oil, which offers benefits to the digestive system, does not necessarily keep you thin - it contains just as many calories as other oils...namely, 115 - 125 per tablespoon.

Olive oil acts as a light laxative, and is a friend to the intestine - and an enemy of ulcers, and gastritis. Olive oil is a good tonic, with specific influence for people suffering from heart disease.

Olive oil has been regarded as the "beauty oil" - more than skin deep - the body's sells incorporate the valuable fatty acids from the oil, making arteries more supple, and skin more lustrous.

The amount of oleic acid in olive oil is about the same as that found in mother's milk. Drunk before a meal, olive oil protects the stomach from ulcers. If a spoon or two is taken with lemon or coffee, it prevents constipation without irritating the intestinal tract. It is also effective in treating urinary tract infections and gall bladder problems. It is a perfect remedy for gastritis in children, hastens brain development and strengthens the bones. Olive oil dissolves clots in capillaries, has been found to lower the degree of absorption of edible fats, and consequently slows down the aging process.

Olive oil enjoys anti-anemic, diuretic, emollient, and hypoglycemizing properties. Only animal-derived foods contain cholesterol. Plant foods are cholesterol-free. Olive oil, then, is cholesterol-free.

Cholesterol is not all bad - it is an essential building block for cell-membranes, nerve fiber coverings, vitamin D, and sex hormones. The trouble is, the body manufactures all the cholesterol it needs, so any cholesterol in foods we eat, results in an excess. Excess cholesterol causes a gradual accumulation of fatty deposits and connective tissue, known as plaque, along the walls of blood vessels. Eventually, plaque builds up, narrows the arteries, and reduces blood flow - increasing the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Cholesterol is manufactured in the liver. In order to circulate through the bloodstream, it is "packaged" in fatty-protein wrappings called "lipoproteins". The low density lipoproteins (LDL) distribute cholesterol throughout the body, dropping it off, where needed. The liver also packages another type of cholesterol called high density lipoproteins (HDL), which picks-up circulating cholesterol and returns it to the liver for reprocessing, or excretion.

The LDL's are the ones that build up the walls of the arteries, and so are tagged "bad" cholesterol.Polyunsaturated oils lower LDL ("bad") and HDL ("good") levels. Cholesterol is not the issue here - the problem is polyunsaturated oil itself, the use of which has tripled in the American diet since 1900.

Monounsaturated oils (such as olive oil), lower only LDL cholesterol, leaving HDL to help clean out arteries. Olive oil, then, has become the "guilt-free" fat. All fats provide 9 calories per gram, which make them the highest energy producing nutrient in our food supply. We see in a 250 ml (1 tablespoon) serving size of olive oil: 14 grams of fat - which can be broken down into...2 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 10 grams of monounsaturated fat, and 2 grams of saturated fat, with 0 grams cholesterol.

Olive oil has 120 calories per tablespoon (9 calories per gram of oil), which is the same as all cooking/salad oils. But, because of its greater aroma/flavor, you may use less olive oil when cooking, thus cutting fat calories even further.

The FDA recommends you limit all kinds of fat to 6 teaspoons a day for women, 9 for men. The FDA encourages consumers to use natural liquid oils like olive which contains no trans fatty acids, and cook in oils high in healthy monounsaturated fatty acid.

http://www.napoleon-co.com/consumers/oo_health.htm

The North American Olive Oil Association offers a handy conversion guide to use. To use olive oil in baking, substitute a mild or light flavor. For all vegetable oils, follow this conversion chart:

1 teaspoon butter
¾ teaspoon oil

1 tablespoon butter
2 ¼ teaspoons oil

2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons oil

¼ cup butter
3 tablespoons oil

1/3 cup butter
¼ cup oil

½ cup butter
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons oil

2/3 cup butter
½ cup oil

¾ cup butter
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon oil

1 cup butter
¾ cup oil

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
This is all true. I cook with extra virgin olive oil (picked from some of the world's fastest olive trees) and I modestly admit to being devastatingly handsome. Humble too.

Jack

Here is a little history about the Olive Tree. From http://www.napoleon-co.com/

The long, rich tradition of the olive tree, which Sophocles described as "the tree that stands unequaled," is woven through the tapestry of human history...the olive tree dates back to 3500 BC, and archaeological discoveries show that the olive has been used since 6000 BC... a history of almost 8000 years. The oldest known record of olive oil is on earthenware tablets from 2500 BC, from the island of Crete, in the reign of King Minos. Today, there are some 5 million acres of almost 800 million olive trees throughout the world.

The culture of olive trees requires the patience of generations of agriculturists. The olive tree is green and non-deciduous, with a gray trunk that comes to appear wrinkled and knotty. An olive tree takes twenty-five (25) to fifty (50) years to mature, however, it begins to give fruit six (6)to eight (8) years after planting. The olive tree is an evergreen tree, and stands anywhere from 10-50 feet high.

An average tree will yield about 22 pounds of olives during harvest, and the best yields are often from mature trees exceeding 250 years of age.

Some olive trees live to be more than 2000 years old, many are 400-500 years old, but most average 200 years in age.

Darn .. Jack some of those trees are older then you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
On your trip with Lewis & Clark some of those trees were just planted then and I bet they are the ones you & I get our oil from today. :roll:

Chuck.
PS. Folks I am not saying Jack has been around for a while ...( Not Me.. :wink: .. No Sir I would never do anything like that ) just that he was getting Social Security payments before the system was even thought of , much less up and running. Now he does know boats ... when you were a cabin boy on the Mayflower you get to know about boats .. or so he told me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... Darn .. Jack some of those trees are older then you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
On your trip with Lewis & Clark some of those trees were just planted then and I bet they are the ones you & I get our oil from today. :roll:
Yep, Cap'n Meriwether had me carry along a jar of olives to plant. Johnny Olive Oil they called me. In Arkansas, we planted some with the pimento in. They're still bearing today. Martini olives we call'em.

The Nez Perce preferred ripe olives. Northern Cheyenne liked'em pickled. Mountain Utes didn't care for olives; preferred cocktail onions.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
For all of you new folks and some old timers..... As I have told all of you..........We are just normal everyday people on here ... :roll: ... there is no one on here that would ever stretch the truth just to make a point. :oops:

We have been there .. Did it and even got the "T" Shirt, even if it was made out of buckskin by a Native American a few moons ago ... OK ... A lot of moons ago and they did not know they were Native Americans back then.

Chuck.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I have grow some varieties here, but the ones that can take the cold rarely produce fruit. There is a house near me that plants a dwarf cavandish every year down their driveway.... looks very tropical.