Converting Harbor Freight trailer into kayak hauler | SouthernPaddler.com

Converting Harbor Freight trailer into kayak hauler

JEM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The one I had rigged up to carry canoes the frame work was bolted onto the frame. They used some U shaped brackets ( designed for square tubing)
They fit on the backside of the trailer frame and extend over and under it to where the uprights are attached. It does require drilling two holes in each upright to accept the ends of the U shaped bracket , then it is bolted together. It's the same way they attach the supports for the bunks on a trailer for the boat to sit on.

Pipe insulation slipped over the cross bars does a good job of protecting the boats. I could get one on the bottom and one on the cross members. It was modified later to accept two boats on the top since I put a cargo box on the bottom.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt, many trailers have axles bolted on. And, many cars were partly bolted together for years. The wings are bolted onto airplanes. I suspect that bolting will hold. It will also let you adjust things if spacing isn't right the first time.

Once you get the trailer rigged exactly as you want it, you could use castellated nuts (drill a small hole in the bolt for wire or a cotter pin), use LocTite, or get it welded.

JEM

Saw some of those set ups but not all of them. Neat stuff!

I have a drawing of what I want to do with mine. Using it as a guideline for when I start constructing. Right now, I have some rust spots to clean up and repaint until the metal tubing I ordered arrives.

juliet99

Sep 10, 2010
This is indeed a good project, converting harbor freight trailer into kayak hauler. I suggest you weld it together instead of bolting it. Welding is more sturdy than bolting. But if you want to be sure, you can actually do both, after welding it together, you can bolt it as well together. I hope you are able to do this project and post pictures of the your new kayak hauler.