Cool Canoe---The Movie | SouthernPaddler.com

Cool Canoe---The Movie

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks to me like you're enjoying yourself. Either you have a heckuva telescope lens, or you were able to get really close to that bird (heron?) Either way, nice work. Here in the Great Lakes area, we call the blue herons the "Keepers of the River".

My late wife used to look for herons fishing along the shore, and anchor her boat nearby. Herons don't fish where fish aren't at.

Kayak Jack said:
Looks to me like you're enjoying yourself. Either you have a heckuva telescope lens, or you were able to get really close to that bird (heron?) Either way, nice work. Here in the Great Lakes area, we call the blue herons the "Keepers of the River".

My late wife used to look for herons fishing along the shore, and anchor her boat nearby. Herons don't fish where fish aren't at.

Hi Jack

The bird is a Cormorant. You probably know them. No, it wasn't a tele lens, just got that close. The reason he flew away was that I bumbed into his tree':)'

I'm sure that your wife was right about the Herons.

BTW...The Brunswick River is about halfway down the east coast of Australia. Its only a small river, not long and not deep, but plenty of fish and wildlife.

hairymick said:
Heya Ferret,

Welcome back mate. good to hear from you again. :D :D

Hi Hairymick

Yeah, still around.

Did you have a look at the vid?

If you are ever down this way (Byron Bay area) let me know and I'll take you out on the Brunswick River and introduce you to a couple of local 'mangrove jacks' ':)'

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Ferrit, Nah, I'm only on bloody dialup mate. can't get braodband or cable here in the sticks.

Re coming down that way. Thanks for the invite mate - would love to. :D I originally come from down your way (Iluka/Maclean) but haven't been back in many years.

If I ever look like getting down your way, will certainly give you a shout.

hairymick said:
Heya Ferrit, Nah, I'm only on bloody dialup mate. can't get braodband or cable here in the sticks.

Re coming down that way. Thanks for the invite mate - would love to. :D I originally come from down your way (Iluka/Maclean) but haven't been back in many years.

If I ever look like getting down your way, will certainly give you a shout.

Hi mate

Your welcome any time.

You may want to have a look at the website. http://www.johnluck.net/index_canoe.html
Dialup should be ok

I made a new canoe / kayak trolly this morning. Cost all up $30 Its on the website.
Also put a version of the movie for dial up on the site so that you could see it.

John

Obie

Mar 15, 2006
Wisconsin
I like your outriggers, most of the outriggers i have seen so far have bends in them to get them to be on the surface, but your's are straight---do they work the same? it seems like it would be a lot easier to make the straight ones.

Obie said:
I like your outriggers, most of the outriggers i have seen so far have bends in them to get them to be on the surface, but your's are straight---do they work the same? it seems like it would be a lot easier to make the straight ones.

Hi Obie

The outriggers work well. When you are cruising along, they are only in the water an inch or so creating very little drag, no more is needed. Its when there is a bit of rough water or when you move aroung in the canoe is when they really do their job.

The outriggers that I have are 'store bought' but if you are interested in making your own, have a look at:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html
They are rather long but I'm sure that you could make them any length that you like

John

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I have a question. I see that the centerline of these pontoons is straight. I have the idea that rather than the entire main body of a pontoon touching down at the same time, maybe it should touch down by degrees.

If the bottom centerline of the pontoon had rocker so the center touched down first, and the ends settle in slowly, would that be a good effect? And, rather than rounded, this center section would be a sharper vee to slice the water and gently settle in.

Thoughts?

Kayak Jack said:
I have a question. I see that the centerline of these pontoons is straight. I have the idea that rather than the entire main body of a pontoon touching down at the same time, maybe it should touch down by degrees.

If the bottom centerline of the pontoon had rocker so the center touched down first, and the ends settle in slowly, would that be a good effect? And, rather than rounded, this center section would be a sharper vee to slice the water and gently settle in.

Thoughts?

Hi Kayak Jack

I think you're right, curved would be better. However, making the foam that shape should not be a problem.

The pontoons that I have are a great shape but as I said, they are factory made. But if anyone wants detailed photos and dimensions of mine I'll be happy to post some on the forum

John

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
At present, I have no plans to construct nor use pontoons. But, who knows what a future or three may hold? Were I to want to sail a canoe/ kayak, I would strongly consider them. If they served the Polynesians for tens of thousands of miles in open sea conditions of the Pacific, they ought to do well here in the Great Lakes basins.