cool morning on Grand Bayou | SouthernPaddler.com

cool morning on Grand Bayou

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Due to the crummy weather this winter, it's been a few months since I've been in the Swamper. This morning was clear and cold enough to sting the hands a bit. I put in at the only 16 foot section of clear bank I could find in the area. Most of the banks looked like this.

Saw grass 5 to 15 feet out from the bank makes for almost impossible entry/exit from a kayak.

I paddled by an old boat shed that has seen better days.

Guess why this section of Grand Bayou is nicknamed Muddy Bayou.

I paddled upcurrent (Ha!) about 3 miles and found a semi-clear bank to get out on and take a break. I put a mite too much pressure on the paddle when my foot started sliding in the mud and the shaft snapped at the center connection. A small oak branch and a little light carving with a pocket knife gave me a pin to insert in both halves . Probably stronger than the factory piece. And, Oh yes.........I did get a wet butt.......but just one side.

I saw 3 bald eagles.....one white headed adult and 2 almost full grown adolescents that didn't have their signature head color yet .

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If it's not posted property ( private or used ) that area around the Old Boat Shed looked like a good camping spot , plenty of trees and what looked like a fairly high bank. Even a open spot in the switch grass and a place for the boat to stay dry if it rains.

Guess it is still used and that is why the grass has not closed it off. :roll:

Chuck.....

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, it wasn't completely new. I think the last time I was on this section was about 40 years ago. I haven't been bringing a spare paddle on my short jaunts, but this made me rethink that practice. Better to have and don't need, than to need and don't have.

No fishing today. I just wanted to get the kinks out and see some different scenery.

Chuck, sad to say that's private property. Almost everything is around here. No sand or gravel bars to pull up on and camp. Many bayous had been dredged in the last 70 years leaving low, but quite steep banks. Devilishly hard to pull up to and get out to stretch your legs or water a tree. Not too difficult with a pirogue or canoe that can nose straight into the bank, but VERY hard in a kayak needing 16 foot of clear, easy sloping bank........hence one broken paddle and a wet butt. :x

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
.......... No sand or gravel bars to pull up on and camp. Many bayous had been dredged in the last 70 years leaving low, but quite steep banks. Devilishly hard to pull up to and get out to stretch your legs or water a tree. Not too difficult with a pirogue or canoe that can nose straight into the bank, but VERY hard in a kayak needing 16 foot of clear, easy sloping bank........hence one broken paddle and a wet butt. :x

Joey, just go build yourself another pirogue. You know you want to and, it is time to mess up that new shop.

beekeeper