Cooler Corn | SouthernPaddler.com

Cooler Corn

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A bit late in the season now, but next year....

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blind-sided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly. I found it while visiting my family in Quebec. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. A Ouebec cook with years of camping experience, says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the heck is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed. Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours. Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling and great on your Boat. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.

Another neat way they butter there Corn in Quebec, is take a pound of butter and put it in a deep narrow jar full of boiling water. Butter is lighter than water so the butter is floating on top. About 4 inches deep in butter. You dunk your corn into the hot floating butter and it's totally dripping with hot butter. Have a napkin or do this out side. All you need to do now is salt it and enjoy