Coop's Bayou Blend (of spices) | SouthernPaddler.com

Coop's Bayou Blend (of spices)

islandpiper

First, credit where credit is due.......Coop's Place on Decator St in New Orleans is the original home of this blend of spices. They are a great, but small, eating place.....not on the usual tourist information maps, but more of a place where the locals eat. People who work in the Quarter may be found there all day and most of the night. Great food, great drinks, great, if a little near the edge, atmosphere. When in New Orleans be sure to visit, eat the best Gumbo you will EVER eat and enjoy a real slice of the Big Easy.

4 parts salt, I use Kosher, coarse
3 parts Cayenne Pepper
3 parts black pepper, ground
3 parts granulated garlic, dry
2 parts MSG
1 part ground cumin
1 part Paprika
2 parts onion powder if desired

Combine ingredients. I use a food processor to mill it to a fine powder. Store in a sealed bottle. Use this in or on nearly anything. Caution; please don't let this hit a hot cooking surface like a skillet in a house........the results will chase mice, vermin and
Bible Salesmen out of your house, and really burn your eyes!!

But.......it's good stuff. I use it on fried potatoes, scrambled eggs......mashed potatoes, fish, burgers.......everything but cold beer.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers, Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Piper.....this weekend I'll mix it up. Dang! You keep kick'n it up up about Nawleans eateries..........I ain't had a great bowl of crawfish etouffee since I've been there! You know...the kind that turns your forehead red and beads of sweat break out......you take a giant gulp of cold beer to cool things down, and than you dig back into that bowl 'cause ya just have to have more!
I've made it myself and it was good, but not great like down there. Must be a secret spice I'm missing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pipers (Coop's Bayou Blend ) Spice Mix
teu42.gif

Well, folks .... You have heard of Puff the fire breathing dragon ... now meet the fire breathing Chuck.

I made a batch of pipers spice mix, (without the MSG) was very careful not to get any on my hands but when I had it made and safely put into a fire proof container ...... curiosity got me, sprinkled a very, very, very small amount in my hand and tasted it.
teu89.gif

Not a swift thing to do but one way to find out if it has a kick to it ..... It kicks and in a darn good way. The paramedics said I should get the bandage off my tongue in a week or so and after that no one will notice the burn marks and scares if I don't stick my tongue out at them.

Seriously....... I can tell you right now it would be good on anything else. I put a small container of it in my camping cook kit. :D

So I am trying something with it ..... put 1 1/2 teaspoons of it in 16 oz or water with 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke and poured that over a pound of sliced TOFU, will let it sit in the frig for a day and then dehydrate it to see how it makes some tofu jerky. I have never been able to make really good tofu jerky , looks like this is the answer to that problem.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... I have never been able to make really good tofu jerky , looks like this is the answer to that problem.
Asked and answered. There is NO SUCH THING as really good tofu jerky. Just like there is no such thing as really good dog poop jerky - and for the very same reason. The basic material is flawed. Anything you make with shrimp is good. Anything you make with tofu isn't.

As Adrian Kronauer told his buddy Forrest Whitaker, "It's a simple thing, Private garlic. If the engine is already running, you don't turn on the starter."

islandpiper

Glad you like it guys. It is good stuff, and can be used in lots of places. Chuck, roll your tofu jerky in grits and it'll have a little more crunch.......and Jack will stay out of it then no matter how good it is.

Here's the link to coop's: http://www.coopsplace.net/

the building was built abour 1722 (no joke) and was an office and mission center for a group of nuns in EARLY New Orleans........two or three times since then they have mopped the place out and it never seems to really detract from the ambience of the joint. I like it.......no pretenses, just good food, good company.

If you are of a praying nature, drop a line to the Big Guy for the people in New Orleans.....things are still pretty tough there. Some things are tough because of the people's own inability to act in a positive manner.......some things are tough because the local politicians are incapable of doing anything which serves the population, not their own desires......very little is tough because of the Federal government or President Bush......for the most part problems in New Orleans are locally produced and directed.

Thanks for allowing me to sermonize. Cheers, Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As I said in the above post.........

So I am trying something with it ..... put 1 1/2 teaspoons of it in 16 oz or water with 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke and poured that over a pound of sliced TOFU, will let it sit in the frig for a day and then dehydrate it to see how it makes some tofu jerky. I have never been able to make really good tofu jerky , looks like this is the answer to that problem.

The tofu jerky turned out OK but a little bland. You take a chunk of it and chew away, there is not really any flavor but about three or four minutes later it is ... WHAT did you put on this, the spices kick in and let you know they are there. We have the spices and the part that gives it a kick covered .................. Soooooooo

Making another batch, this time I am using .........
1. 1/2 cup of soy sauce (lite)
2. 3 tbsp of liquid smoke
3. 1/3 cup of water
4. 1 tsp garlic powder
5. 1 tbsp of onion powder
6. 1 tbsp of black pepper
7. 1 tsp of honey..................... Then I added one beef bullion cube and a liberal sprinkle of the spice mix. Stirred it up till the metal butter knife started to melt..... Sliced the tofu and put it in a zip lock then added the flavors to soak (I don't marinate things, I soak them ........ I don't portage either, I tote my boats). squished the air out of the zip lock bag so everything is swimming in the spice mix.

In the morning onto the dehydrator and then I can see how this mix works.

Besides there is nothing else to do today, have the AC on to cool down and it is raining harder then three cow's (relieving there bladders) on a flat rock outside.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
Besides there is nothing else to do today, have the AC on to cool down and it is raining harder then three cow's (relieving there bladders) on a flat rock outside.
water, water, water, water..........[chanted to the tune of "toga, toga, toga, toga].......
1244.gif

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I thought that was .... Tora , Tora ,Tora
Friend Ole Sparkey,
I reckon it dont matter what tune ya like....jest az long az it runs the mark up the guage.
915.gif

regards
bearridge

You've got city hands, Mr. Hooper...been countin' money all your life. Quint

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Oldyaker Ya gotta try Emeril Lagasse's ettoufee receipe. We use shrimp instead of the mudbugs. Gets you the red face and sweating and clears the sinusis all at once.