Core Sound 17' sailboat | SouthernPaddler.com

Core Sound 17' sailboat

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Been a while since I posted on a build, not a kayak,canoe or perogue though, a 17' cat/ketch sailboat. Started back in early march pretty much full time (did take time out to build 2 Toto's for my fishing/camping buddys and cristen them on Brazos trips)see Toto buildhttp://www.southernpaddler.com/php ... 516#p85499

Anyhoo finaly finished and splashed last night, put her in about 5ish took quite a while to rig, had to do that at my dock rather than at the ramp as I need to do a fair bit of tree pruneing
Had to motor out of my creek area before raising the sails, then the wind completly died on me off to the north I see the dark clouds of the front so I'm determined to spend some time on the water now I'm here so good time to learn how to reef whilst on the water. Discretion being the better part of valour ( read chicken) I went with the maximum double reef on main and mizzen. No sooner than I got that done when here comes the wind out of the north, by gps even fully reefed I was enjoying a downwind run at 6.5 mph.
thats the leadind edge of the front to the south.

Ran south for awhile playing and getting a feel for the boat,then about face and do some tacking into the wind still managing a respectable 5+ mph. Played until it got dark then sail to creek entrance, douse the sails and motor on in against the wind, and unrig at the dock in the dark (thankfully good moonlite between breaks in the cloud).
so a good 1st impretion, couple of minor things to improve sail contol and make up some weather protection for camping aboard then put in some real time.

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I love to paddle, but nothing - nothing in the world - has the sound of a sailboat quietly plying the water. Given clearance under and around overhanging branches, that should be a neat boat for tripping and excursioning (new word here). Pack it up and head out.

If you're going to be out on waters in stormy weather, you might be interested in one of these lightning detectors.
http://www.weathershack.com/outdoors-te ... _1000.html
I understand that half of the folks killed by lightning, get it in the half hour before it starts to rain, and a half hour after it stops. Over-the-horizon lightning can still getchya.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
Jack, thank you, didn'y know about those detectors, my 1st line of defence thinking was from other sailors who made up a conducter from a length of copper pipe flattened and drilled to increase area attached by grounding wire to the main mast then tossed overboard if a storm was suspected.
For sure it will not always possible to beach the boat in the event of a storm, so that's my thinking for now, but always open to other idea's. Not to old/proud to learn.

MM

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Saying (that could have been) found scratched into the hull of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
"'Tis better to dodge the lightning altogether, than trying to outrun it."

Tossing the copper overboard makes you the best lightning attractor in the area. Kinda like carrying around a real tall tree? I was going to maybe ask about camping with you in your area, but am reconsidering.