Corn Tortillas | SouthernPaddler.com

Corn Tortillas

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
There are lots of recipes, that's why I didn't say exactly. Take a look HERE for now, and I'll tell you how I do them after I get home.

Mike

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Ok, I do a fairly simple version of King Ranch Chicken. I think it would be a great camping meal done in a dutch oven. You can get canned chicken for camping and it becomes really easy. You can also use flour tortillas instead of the corn, but I like corn the best.

2 cups cooked chicken (cooked with cumin, onion, celery and garlic) shredded. ( I use however much it takes to make the layers)
10 corn tortillas ( or whatever it takes to make the layers. I tear them into quarters.)
1 onion, chopped
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese (I don't measure this - just use what looks right when making the layers)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup of chicken broth
1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes ( I like HOT)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine soups, broth and Ro-Tel tomatoes; blend until smooth.
3. Place a layer of tortillas in a greased casserole dish. (I use olive oil)
4. Add layers of chicken, onion, bell peppers, cheese and sauce.
5. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
6. Bake uncovered for half an hour or until brown and bubbling. (It may take a little longer. I'd cover it in a dutch oven.)

Enjoy!

Mike

islandpiper

I was in the store on MOnday and they were stocking three-pound packs of corn tortillas, about five feet wide and four feet tall and about ten packs deep.....all those tortillas are being used for SOMETHING besides enchiladas and KING RANCH CHICKEN......I'm going to have to stop some Mexican gardeners on the street and ask. piper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Piper,
A lot of folks use tortillas instead of bread to eat with their meals. It's a rere thing not to see tortillas in our kitchen. They are handy in a lot of situations but they will just not sop up gravy like bread.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I can get corn tortillas that are hard, but no soft ones. I like the whole wheat tortillas, and use them in camp. I can get dehydrated refried beans here that go really well on tortillas. When I add some diced onion & peppers, it's JARVIS good eatin'!

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I'm a little late posting on this, but,

Use them as a bread substitute, like Wannabe said.

Or make soft corn tacos. Much better than hard corn, in my opinion.

Or use them cut up into soup.

To use them for any purpose where they aren't going to get cooked (like for tacos) learn to heat them. You don't really toast them, just get them good and hot. Makes them more tender and improves the taste too. You can do it in a cast iron skillet or an electric skillet.

In an electric skillet, get the heat up around 300f, put a little oil in (just enough to wet the skillet, we aren't frying, just heating) and heat the tortilla maybe 15-20 seconds per side. When making tacos, you want the tortilla still flexible, not hard and crunchy.

Some shredded cheese and picante sauce on a tortilla makes a quick and satisfying snack.

Also, you can get white corn tortillas and yellow corn tortillas. Experiment and see what you like better.

GB

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Flour Tortillas out of the store is kinda bland. You can improve them a lot by spreading a little butter on both sides andheating them in a skillet until browned a bit on both sides. Deep fry flour torillas, remove them and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them for a tasty treat. I think there is a name for them, but I can't think of it at the moment. To do this, the tortilla is cut into quarters.
Bob