cowboy food | SouthernPaddler.com

cowboy food

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The food channel haz British cowboys eatin' cowboy food in central Florida on a cattle drive at 7:30 central time. 14 authentic cowboy vittles cooked on a real fire...no Coleman gas burners.

I swear I didnt make this up. Really.....

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend DM,

They didnt show any British cowboys, but they did show some cooks who musta spent the nite at a Holiday Inn Express. They cooked up a meal fer 450 folks on a Florida cattle drive. I didnt see no beans 'n sourdough. Aint nuthin' safe these days. :wink:

Put on a stylish hat 'n start glazin' the frog legs in white wine.....???? I never seen so many iron skillets 'n pots. All the cookin' gear wuz real heavy cowboy stuff. Mebbe they wuz Florida cowboys? :mrgreen:

BTW, I am doin' some horse tradin' with the Italian fella where I buy wine. Tryin' ta work a deal on that Black Box stuff. He dont import olive oil. So nobody will make an offer the other caint refuse. :lol:

regards
bearridge

The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife's infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine. unknown high school student

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pork Loin with Cranberry Apple Stuffing on the cattle drive , get real.

The old time Florida Cow Boys did have pork , see it , shoot it , then cook it and eat it. There sure wasn't any cranberries or apples down here back then , just oranges and grapefruit with plenty of corn bread stuffing , and don't forget the swamp cabbage with fat back.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
DM,

The guviment dont allow 'em ta tell where it kin be found round here, but the local liquor stores kin sell it. After taxes, folks round here iz havin' a hard time. :wink: :cry: 8)

So Chuck, what desserts do Florida cowboys like.....sorbee? parfait? chocolate mousse? Mebbe Ole Ponce D. Leon wuz lookin' fer the wrong fountain? Mebbe there iz a fountain down there that turns cowboys inta girlie men? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: 8)

Lord I apologize fer tellin' that 'n bless all the little pygmies down ta Tallahassie.

regards
bearridge

ps When I wuz a cowboy, a Stage Plank 'n a RC Cola wuz dessert. :lol:

Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction. Sir George Tucker

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear

These idiots doing things today in the name of the way it was done have no idea of what in the he%% they are doing or talking about.

Take them back 100 years and they would starve to death , if they did not go into shock because of the way things were done. Salt pork ( fat back , bacon) and beans , Venison or Wild Turkey and greens (or swamp cabbage) with grits if you were lucky while mostly living off the land. The sweet tooth was cared for by Cane Syrup with some corn pone or corn cakes.
A cow was worth to much to eat while driving them over to Miami ( or one of of the other cattle yards) to sell. . A typical cattle drive would last 40 days

Some interesting information.

Juan Ponce de Leon' sailed from Santo Domingo to St Augustine in 1521 ( Only 486 years ago) with six heifers and a bull , from that small beginning has come a Florida cattle population that numbers in the millions today.

Those Andalusian cattle are the ancestors of the Texas Longhorns, the Mexican Fighting bulls and most of present-day , original , Florida herds.

From 1763 - 1783 When the ranchers had a good herd of cattle one place they would drive them was to the St.Johns River and a place called Cow Ford which was the river crossing. That crossing is known today as Jacksonville.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister Chuckwagon Chef,

Thanks fer the history. Lookin' at the Sunshine State today, I dont think of cattle, altho I seen all the ranches round Ocala whilst lookin' fer the Oklawaha Outdoor Post. I didnt see no cowboys. :cry: The ranches all looked like country clubs.....a heap of 'em had stables that looked better'n the homes most of the folks I know live in. I figgered it wuz mostly fer horses. Cows are truble 'n hard work. Ya never seen Roy help Dale up on a cow ta ride off down a happy trail.

That cookin' show didnt show much cattle drivin'.....jest the wild west hardships of havin' ta cook a heap a fancy vittles. I figger the cattle drive wuz jest az phony az the cookin'. :lol: Only authentic part wuz the cookin' pots 'n knives.

regards
bearridge

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago. Gus McCrae

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ocala is a all horse area , no or very little cows. The rest of the state is cow territory providing it is not subdivisions , shopping malls , condos or paved over land. A lot of those use to be orange groves.

Florida still produces a lot of beef and is one of the higher ranking states in that production. One rancher here by me sends a semi truck load of beef out to Kansas every Thursday. There is a better then average chance that everyone has had Florida Beef for a meal at sometime.

I have to agree , that (so called cattle drive) the only thing authentic on it was probably the cast iron cookware and the open fire cooking. Not sure about the cell phones , lap tops and I-pods they had with them. :roll:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
What a bunch of tight arsed cynics! Paul Bunyan had maple syrup, Judge Roy Bean had tacos, and by gawd Floridian cowboys ate cranberry stuffing in their garlic bread, had croissants for breakfast, and ate pheasant under glass every other Thursday.

They had food stamps, and wore pink boots too.

Zeb

Dec 18, 2006
Co.Durham England
BRITISH COWBOYS
Dont ride horses.......... drive transit vans
Dont drive cattle........... repair(?) your roof
Dont say howdy pardner.........Ive just noticed a tile has slipped on yer roof!!!!
Also sighted refitting fascias soffits guttering,plumbing,electrical,tarmac and even tree surgery....yip thems real versatile fellas

p.s. A pakistani fella had a decorating van with "youve had the cowboys,now try the indians" written on the side. :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Man fellows Sparky is a way back!!!!! geezer. Chuck I have to agree with you . Not only them so called cowboys but alot of other people today would starve if they had to live off the land today. Most younger people today including mine don,t know what good food is. The only bad thing there isn,t much land to live off now or paddle. :cry:

Like I said before I ain,t no real old geezer yet , but I grew up on a farm. I know what hard work was . Have done alittle bit of all including tobacca , watermelons, soybeans,corn, wheat , hay , hogs & cattle.

P.S Bear & Jack that was sparky on the cattle drive that was cooking. :wink: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
catfish said:
Bear & Jack that was sparky on the cattle drive that was cooking.
Friend catfish,

Now ya gotta wonder if it wuz the Sparkanator 'er seedtick. :roll: The High Sheriff wuz buildin' a Chuckwagon. He likely fell asleep 'n when they wheeled him back inside 'n he plum fergot about it. One time when he wuz takin' hiz medication, he fergot the shuffleboard contest. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin

arrondo

Sep 28, 2006
Seattle, Washington
catfish said:
P.S Bear & Jack that was sparky on the cattle drive that was cooking. :wink: :lol:

I can just see it!

Clay Stone: "Well, folks, there's Cookie now. Hey, Cookie! Tell the folks what's for dinner!"

Cookie: "You ain't gonna like it! The food's brown, hot, and plenty of it!"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
Bear & Jack that was sparky on the cattle drive that was cooking. :wink: :lol:

If'n I was the cook on that drive those horses they are riding would be so sway backed from the weight the riders gained the riders feet would be dragging in the mud.

Ya can bet ya grits on that and take it to the bank. Only complaints I ever have had is that everyone eats to much. There bottom lip beats there nose bloody trying to get to the chow.:D

Chuck.
PS. No one has lost any weight on the trips I set up and do the cooking for the crew. No Sir re'bub.