Cranky Yankee Expedishun | SouthernPaddler.com

Cranky Yankee Expedishun

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

Its me all rite. I'm way up near bout in the tundra. We aint seen no snow 'er eskymoes yet, but it iz a heap a folks that like ta say "eh" 'n drink beer.

Day #1 we ate grits over ta the Icebox Cafe. I had 3-4 helpings, but dont tell Swampy 'er Chuck. Before we left the waitress come up 'n put her hand on my leg cuz she liked my tie. Dont none a ya'll ever badmouth my tie agin. I hope Bambi dont take her ta Fist City.

After we ate, we went ta the Canuckamart. Its like Wal-Mart but it dont have nuthin' but lumberjack shirts, crosscut saws, beer 'n Mister Stinky (thats outdoor oil ta run off the skeeters 'n flies). Dapper Al sez he aint wearin' none cuz a hiz image. Ya'll ought not ta egg him on no more, cuz now he figgers he iz a Quarterly Gentlemen.....kinda like Ole Clifford Jacobs.

Later we had ta throw Bears Buddy in the lake cuz he spilt the Mister Stinky all over hizownself. It warnt eazy 'n Draino had ta wash down cuz he rubbed up on Bears Buddy too much tusslin' round the lake.

As the sun went down we went ta singin' campfire songs....mostly Coon by Ya 'n some I leant back when I went down ta Cuba ta fight the Spanish. After a few songs, the loons went ta singin' real loud, so we put away the guitars 'n popped some a that United Nations seed corn we bought off the Rhodesians.

I went ta sippin' the single malt 'n fired up a cigar. Mister Stinky aint near bout az rank az my cigars. That evenin' we never seen the first skeeter 'er black fly. The stench wuz first rate. It aint eazy ta tell how bad a smell iz with a word. We all tried ta find a good one, but we jest give up after a while.

It iz a good thing the Sparkanator, Swampy 'n Oldyaker aint on this trip. Ever nite we tell Clifford Jacobs tales 'n tie knots 'n build fires jest like Ole Cliff done fer them midgets that went off in the woods with him.

We didnt bring no midgets with us. It would hold us back on the Superior Lake. They got little bitty hands, little bitty feet, little bitty voices gwine "cheep, cheep, cheep". We dont want no short people round here.

I tole some mitey fine jokes, but ever body wuz so tired.

best regards,

jack
real ole fart

P.S. Oh yeah. After supper injuns come at us. We fought 'em fer hours, but jest before midnite, the injuns begun ta fall back. Wonder what the injun word iz fer "really bad stinky"? :mrgreen:

We plan ta leave the KOA with the sunrise 'n git on the lake by noon.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
What a bunch of paddlers ........ Camping at the KOA and stinking everyone out of there ......... Darn Jack, just thinking about that, what a good idea and you guys are not even on the water ...... YET.

This has to get better...............(keep ya batteries dry) "O" and Al's shirt pressed , hate to see him with a wrinke in it. :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Day #B

Up early we went fer more grits back down ta the cafe....after we cleaned up the dead injuns. Dapper Al sez they didnt look like no injuns he ever seen. They looked more like homeless folks who got in the sterno. We stopped scalpin' after that.

That Superior lake sho iz big. It wuz water az far az ya kin see, cept when ya turnt round 'n looked back ta the parkin' lot where all the high dollar urbanized trucks wuz settin'. We gathered up fer some prayin', then everbody went ta the outhouse. That iz the Path of the Geezer. That set us back til noon, like I figgered.

A tip fer Ole Clifford...take some a that grease Miz Clarice shoved up her nose that time she had ta look fer a butterfly inside that dead gal......the one that queer fella kilt 'n skinned so he kin make hizself a pancho. Last one in the outhouse needs that stuff mitey bad.

We paddled fer a while, 'n it wuz mitey hard. The water wuz shiney 'n wet. There wuz a heap a water. Ever now 'n then it wuz some birds. One took a dump on my shoulder, but I figgered it mite cut down on the Mister Stinky smell.

Bears Buddy pulled out hiz ole Dirt Navy hat......looked jest like he wuz in McHale's Navy. Dapper Al had a high dollar hat that turnt color when the sun hit it. It drove off bugs 'n made all the little girls talk outta their heads. I near bout fergot ta tell ya'll how the waitress put her hand on hiz leg while he wuz shovelin' down the grits....I reckon she iz jest a fool fer a sharp dressed man.

Frum outta nowhere it come a heap a Pirates shootin' cannonballs at us, jest like in the 1812 Overture War when I wuz out behind Fort McHenry. Draino pulled out a huntin' rifle with a heap a foot long clips.....he wuz always worryin' bout pirates. After a few hours, even their Jolly Roger quit laughin'.

Rest of the day went jest fine, cept ever now 'n then we seen this big dinosaur swimmin' slow jest a few hunerd yards out. I thought they wuz only in Scotchland, but I reckon it iz one 'er two things I dont know....besides pickin' horses 'n brain surgery.

We come round the bend 'n there wuz a real Oldtimer settin' on the bank out in front a hiz log hut....readin' a book bout pirates. He sez "come on pilgrims, pull up a log, take yer shoes off, set a spell". I gotta git off now, cuz he iz fixin' us frog legs fer supper. I never ate a frog, but I sho am hungry.

dont let no bedbugs git ya,

Mister Kayak Jack

P.S. Tomorrow its some more lake paddlin'. Lots a shiney water. Ever now 'n then a bird 'er two. Did I mention the water wuz wet? I'll tell ya'll bout pitchin' camp 'n scrubbin' pots tomorrow. :mrgreen:

All ya little pardners "eat yer grits ever day"!

I spent most a my dough on women. Then I spent some more on 'em.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Jack! LOL I had to scroll down and see if this was really you! LOL

You guys are the cat's meow!

There have been just short minutes of the past days that I haven't thought of ya'll.

Did ya get a picture of them thar pictograms the red man left some time back? Sure would like to see 'em.

Not to fret about scalp'in them folks... Wal-Mart is doin the same down here everyday....

Pirogue and Sparkey are now at war with the world and insurance companies.... Allen is surviving .... and the rest of us are hunkerin down for some more rain. Ardvarkk is gittin ready for a wind storm of his own... others too. Miss Jean has reported that rain is now everywhere all the time. :shock:

You boys take it easy too. Draino and Al should have ya'lz supper ready tonight... fresh fish!!!!

Gosh i do envy everyone up there this week.

swampy

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Matt, I gotta side with you too.... Jack eating gritz!!!!!! :shock:

Speaking in native tounge?????

The Stinky part I can believe.... :p

It's the trace of "being nice" that has me....
swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It has to be Jack .... He said " Ever now 'n then it wuz some birds. One took a dump on my shoulder, but I figgered it mite cut down on the Mister Stinky smell'.

Only Jack could have something like that happen to him. The birds sure would not even think of doing it to Al and his ironed , fresh , clothing.

I have to find that iron one day and misplace it for him ... that would be a hoot.

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
I didn't see the pictographs but the "Lady" looked to be nice for you all.

What senery.... breath taking.

That first day out looked to have nothing to offer on shore if the Lady wished to show herself off as she sometimes does.

I'm guessing.... You got out near Wawa?

swampy
now I can sit back and enjoy the pictures... sigh...

A

Anonymous

My Dear Pal Sparkey,

I lost the number myownself, but call the operater. She knows a heap.

Day 4

Dont eat a frog....'er if ya do dont suck the heads. That ole geezer nearly kilt us. The pinto beans 'n raw cabbage wuz tasty, but the racket kept everbody up all nite. It wuz kinda like Blazin' Saddles meets Hurricane Frances. Everbody put on a heap a Mister Stinky on the way back ta the outhouse this mornin'. A goose flew over 'n fell rite out the sky.

We thanked that fella (sez hiz name wuz Hannibal, but I figger he jest didnt want ta give hiz real name bein' way out in the woods 'n all) 'n shoved off in the mist. Bye 'n bye a bad fog come in. I reckon we mite a got lost cept fer the pinto beans 'n cabbage. After a while Ole Charlie went ta callin' me a lighthouse.

In time that fog lifted 'n lo 'n behold we seen some injuns comin' up in a bark canoe.....near bout purty az Dapper Al's. They held up one hand (ta show they aint carryin' no gun 'er dirk knife) 'n sez "how". I reckon they aimed ta know how come our group wuz way off in the Big Superior Lake.

Bears Buddy tole 'em we wuz a bunch a high trained perfessionals frum the big city. He tole 'em bout inspectin', foreclosin', regulatin'.....after a while the injuns heard enuff 'n we got down ta bizness. [Injuns dont git down ta bizness til they jaw fer awhile.]

Seems they aimed ta trade. One young injun went ta talkin' bout how hiz folks swapped New York fer some beads, a few mirrors 'n a heap a cheap whiskey. They sez it warnt rite cuz they didnt figger we would keep it after the whiskey wuz gone.

I seen we wuz in a tight spot, so I sez "Okay, mebbe ya'll got a raw deal on that one, but we mean ta make it rite.....how bout if we swap ya New York 'n Massachusetts fer Canada.....west of frog city?"

The injuns paddled off a ways 'n went ta arguin' bout the trade. Draino asked if I had lost my mind. That wuz one a them questions ya ask, but ya dont really figger the other fella iz gwine ta answer....all full a rhetoric....signifyin' nuthin'.

The injuns come back 'n sez we purty close, how bout we throw a big shindig over ta the reservation? I tole 'em we wuz on a expedishun 'n besides our bowels wuz still rumblin' frum them frogs 'n beans. [See....I knew the next thing would be boild dog 'n some loose injun women....jest like when me 'n Merriweather 'n Louis had ta put up with that time we went over the Big Rocky Mountain.]

They grumbled a bit cuz they figgered they'd git the upper hand after a hot dog meal 'n some saucy injun ladies, but they sez they'll be studyin' on the deal some 'n git back with us later. Jest before they left Draino had some thunderous flatulence seldom heard in those parts. The injuns wuz danged impressed 'n wanted ta give him small bag with dried dog parts, but the sight of it sent Draino over the gunnels blowin' out all the grits he had fer breakfast.

It aint eazy ta expedishun in injun country. Reminds of that time me 'n Ole Ganja Din wuz up in Kazmiristan huntin' up our Masonic pals.......oops.....ya'll stay tuned fer pot scrubbin', hammocks ropes 'n how ta make granola stew that smells jest like Kim Chee.

regards,

Ole Kayak Jack
Moderator without moderation

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
mmmmmm seems "Artic Bar" iz amongest th' pilgrims up thar....

Thought that pre-1975 type looked fermilur.... :wink:

Now I'ma wait'in fer Shashquash to sit down fer dinner amongest them all......... :lol:

Recon Lance iz up thar too.

Sherlock swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Canuck Grits..

Cranky Yankee,
Does Canuck Gritz taste like Reb gritz? :x

Bring me back a pitchure signed by Red Green!

Any sign of spandex wearn'n 'ol Reb's from NC?

Be real careful of girls touch'n yer leg, :shock: I hear some of those lumberjacks in that nick of the woods dress real funny!

If'n ya start see'n midgets, ya mite wanna cut back on the single malt. :?

If ya quit smok'n dem seegars, ya mite just see some skeeters and black flies.

Have fun guy's, I'm stuck in this hangar tonight and wish'n I was there. :cry:

A

Anonymous

Day IX

Sorry I aint wrote ya'll bout our trip fer a while, but danged if we didnt git lost. Yep. The magnetized pole ruint my GPS. When it quit on us we wuz out in the lake so far we couldnt see no rocks 'er trees 'er can-ya-hear-me-now poles.

Then it come a hoodoochie. I mean a bad hoodoochie. Raindrops big az biscuits 'n the wind wuz blowin' up near category 7. I looked over ta the rite. Lo 'n behold it was Dapper Al lookin' jest like a Californey surfer.....like Ole Shawn Penn in the High Ridgemont pichur. Geezer canoe surfers!

After a hour 'er two on that big wave, we all washed up on a island. We wuz all layin' round sputterin', but glad ta be off that Big Superior Lake. We pulled up all the canoes 'n built a log cabin outta boats. Ole Clifford would be mitey proud. We used truckin' hitches 'n crawled up inside til the hoodoochie wore itself out.

Jest when we had near bout got used ta the smell in there, we heard some gnawin', bellowin', slobberin' noise. Dang if it warnt a polarized bear...bout 25-30 feet tall. I went out ta run him off, but he wouldnt have none of it. I had ta jump back inside, but a claw torn my leg open....purty deep.

After I sewed my leg back together (I had my sewin' awl handy), I went back out on a paddle crutch (thats anuther Clifford Jacob trick) 'n began ta tussle with that bear. We fought all afternoon. Finally, I kicked him in hiz private parts. He fell down 'n went ta hollerin'. I wrapped my Hennessee hammock round hiz head 'n that wuz it fer that polarized bear. [Draino had used all hiz ammo on them pirates....jest in case ya'll wuz wonderin'.]

Polarized bear iz mitey good eatin'. I had some olive oil, oregano 'n salt. Bears Buddy had some taters 'n onions. We made a heap a stew. Everbody ate good that nite. After supper everbody tole how it aint nobody az brave az Ole Kayak Jack.....aint nobody smart az Kayak Jack neither. Near bout everbody agreed it warnt nobody handsomer than Kayak Jack. Dapper Al 'n Bear got some votes, but it wuz jest like that time down in Florida.....they musta got mitey confused.

Then I went ta tellin' bout the snakes I rassled over ta Vietnam, but they wuz mitey tired by that time. I reckon I'll tell 'em bout big snake rasslin' tomorrow nite.

stay tuned,

Kayak Jack
King of Modesty

A

Anonymous

Thats it. We done had enuff. It wuz like in "Deliverance" cept fer the aliens bearridge warned us bout.....horny space women. It wuz jest after dark when it come a shiney spot in the sky....more colors than the whirl-a-jig at the state fair.

I grabbed my single malt 'n headed out in the woods. On tv they always fly off quicker'n a rat off a hot stove. Rite off we seen wuz how they kin have the body like Miz Brittany 'n the head of a snake....'er a grasshopper. [We finally seen how they could look like purty much whatever they liked.]

We went ta talkin'.....kinda like mind readin' cuz nobody spoke alien. [We tried some injun tongues 'n some Greek, but we jest couldnt jeehaw.] First thing they asked wuz if we had any spare grits. We wuz on our last 20 pounds a Aunt Jemima, so we tole 'em we wuz runnin' kinda low.

Dapper Al asked 'em what it wuz they required 'n one Ole gal sez "we require that ya'll git up in them trees 'n squeel like a zebra. [I figger they meant "pig"....alien mind talk aint eazy.]

I caint tell what all happened next cuz some little pardners mite be readin'. All I kin say iz we slept late the next mornin'. After a big bowl a grits, we pulled up stakes 'n hightailed it fer home.

Cuz it wuz a kinda strange expedishun, we all had ta swear not ta tell nobody. Ya'll best keep this under yer hats. I aint near bout az handsome in a hospital jacket. We kinda went ta school on Ole Randall McMurphy's putt....so ta speak. :mrgreen:

I hope this river goes thru Aintree.

Smilin' Jack

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
"Geetars and Banjos, Hill Billy Music"...........

[quote]Modest Jack said:
Thats it. We done had enuff. It wuz like in "Deliverance"
Like "Deliverence" huh?
I'm just dy'n ta know which one of you fellas had to squeel like a pig?
Or was there more than one?