1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawfish Paddle

Discussion in 'Making your Own paddles' started by beekeeper, Apr 6, 2013.

1. beekeeper

beekeeper Well-Known Member

A new one for my son.

[​IMG]

beekeeper

2. FlaMike

FlaMike Well-Known Member

Looks good! Hope he puts it to good use, too. :D

Hmmmm. . . Longer, narrow blade. Is that a more traditional pirogue paddle trait?

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

3. mike

mike Well-Known Member

It's for stirring a pot of boiling mudbugs. 8)

Mike

4. catfish

catfish Well-Known Member

bee what kind of wood did you make it out of

5. FlaMike

"It's for stirring a pot of boiling mudbugs. 8) "

Then I definitely hope he puts it to good use! :lol:

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

6. beekeeper

Pine 2"X4". Cypress is traditional and may have been better, but I didn't have any at the time. I don't think the crawfish will know the differance. :roll: :)

beekeeper

7. beekeeper

I have seen "real" paddles with similar lines. We need a seedtick or Keith history lesson on pirogue paddles. I did find this:
    http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOLKLI ... sp?Page=43
    beekeeper

8. FlaMike

beekeeper, you are right! I'd love such a lesson. On that same web site, I found a picture of the narrow, long blade paddle I was thinking of. It was here:
    http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOLKLI ... asp?Page=7 There is a larger pic, something of a close-up of the blade, but I'd really like to see a side-view as well.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

9. beekeeper

10. FlaMike

That last link will be helpful to me. But I really would like to hear more about traditional pirogue paddles, if anyone knows about it. I'd be surprised if seedtick didn't have something to say on the subject, but I haven't heard from him in quite a while. In fact, the Forum itself seems to be very inactive right now. Thought I could generate a little activity by asking some questions, but had only limited success.

Heck, I just like hearing from all you guys every once in a while!

Well, if I can turn up any info, I'll certainly post it.

Thanks!

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

11. FlaMike

I don't know if I can "hot link" these pics, but I'll give it a try. These are what I've found when I searched for pics of traditional pirogue paddles. They are on the louisianafolklife.org web site and describe the paddle as being "soft shouldered," with a long, narrow blade and a squared tip.

[​IMG]

The second pic shows one paddle that is what the builder calls "pagailles indiens" ( Indian paddles,) and the one below it is supposed to be a traditional pirogue paddle.

[​IMG]

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

12. catfish

catfish Well-Known Member

bee i assume it was white pine or fir? i have made one out of this before .it is really light weight.

fla mike i thought it was just me the last few weeks ? i know the spring fling was going on but it sho was dead on here. yea enjoy reading all of you geezers post. yea some of the geezers havent posted in a while. i guess they working on knives and boats? :?: :roll: :lol:

13. beekeeper

catfish
    It was white pine. HD store has a cut off/reject bin that has 2"X4"X4' for $.50. Can't pass them up. I keep thinking I can make something useful from them. Most of the time it would be easier to start with better wood.

Mike S.
    There may be a "traditional" pirogue paddle. I really don't know. I would guess there are many variations. About as many as there are paddle makers. The shape is probably determined as much by what the wood the maker has. A scrap piece of lumber, or old fence post 4" wide 28" long will only make a paddle 4"X28" long or less. A cut off 12" wide plank could make a wider one. Time and experance may disreguard, or leave behind designs or sizes that don't work well.

beekeeper

14. FlaMike

Well, at least we got a conversation going! :D

I wouldn't have had much to say if I hadn't forgotten what the thread title was. . . :oops:

Now, I have some ideas about making a pirogue paddle, something I can do even if I can't get the boat build started just yet.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill FL