Creamy Spinach-Pepper Pasta | SouthernPaddler.com

Creamy Spinach-Pepper Pasta

JEM

This looks pretty good. Best it would be tasty as a side dish with pork.

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 scallions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 small red or green jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 package ( 9 ounces) fresh spinach fettuccine
1/2 pound soft goat cheese, crumbled

DIRECTIONS
1. In a 10-inch skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add scallions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally 2 minutes, or until scallions are tender. Add bell pepper and jalapeno pepper, raised heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently 4 minutes, or until bell pepper is crisp-tender. Add spinach and cook stirring 4 minutes or until heated through.

2. Add broth, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. boil 4 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by one-third. Pour pepper sauce into a large bowl.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook according to package directions until al dente.

4. Drain pasta and transfer to a bowl with pepper sauce. Add goat cheese and toss until cheese has melted and sauce is creamy.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Looks like a possible for tomorrow night's supper. (Pizza tonight) I have a couple of questions, Mattus Spinachicus.

If I have no goat cheese, (goats are nimble and hard to corral), what are some suitable subs? And, what is spinach fettucini? Is it chopped spinach?

JEM

Kayak Jack said:
Looks like a possible for tomorrow night's supper. (Pizza tonight) I have a couple of questions, Mattus Spinachicus.

If I have no goat cheese, (goats are nimble and hard to corral), what are some suitable subs? And, what is spinach fettucini? Is it chopped spinach?

ok I'm no food expert but I hear monterey jack or sour cream is a good sub for goat cheese. Cream cheese should work too. But goat cheese is supposed to be the best to cook suaces with. If your lactose intolerant, then avoid it.

Spinach fettucini is just a kind of premade, flavored fettucini. Probably could use plain fettucini.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
OK, looking up fettuccine, I see it is a pasta. You're talking about a flat spaghetti with spinach in it. Now I got it. Thanks.

What can I say ... some folks live in a glass cage , JEZEeeeeeeeee he never knew the benefits of gritz till he was on here. :roll:

We will learn that uninformed Yankee a thing or two about good eating , even if it takes forever. :lol:

Chuck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
good lord goat cheese is expensive!!! :shock:

Get rid of your lawn mower and get a couple of goats to mow and fertilizes your yard at the same time. Then milk them and make your own goat cheese.

I will get some flack on this statement........ :oops:
When winter comes then invite the goats to a BBQ in your back yard. They are a relative of the Deer ( venison) family and so very tasty.

Chuck.
Before anyone hollers at me I am a member of P.E.T.A and at the top of the food chain. ( People Eating Tasty Animals) Except when I am enjoying some TOFU , then it is To Our Flushing of Undesirable cholesterol

JEM

ok I tried this. The jack cheese doesn't melt real even. Might want to a different soft cheese.

But I was smart and only tried a small piece so it didn't all go to waste. Instead of cheese, I used a jar of alfredo sauce with a 14 ounce package of spinach fettuccine.

Turned out pretty good.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

What if ya jest combined all the stuff with the Monterrey Jack in a pyrex dish 'n baked it til it did melt like ya wanted? How bout redneck cheese....Velveeta 'er American?

I ate a goat one time. Tasted like chicken.

regards
bearridge

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
... How bout redneck cheese....Velveeta 'er American?
Velveeta is no longer cheese. It once was, but when it didn't sell, Kraft re-collected it and mixed it all up together. YUCK!

Any good cheddar would do, I think, or cream cheese. As I said, them goats are fleet of foot and nimble hoofed, and hard to catch.

Would feta cheese do? God knows THAT stuff's good!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I make mac & cheese using sharp cheddar. A bit of warmed milk, diced cheese, salt & pepper, and some flour until it's the right state of gooiness.

Side note: for guys who carry cheese into the outback: To keep it from molding for a few days to weeks, rinse off and dry the cheese first. Then wrap it in cheese cloth that was dipped (and mostly wrung out) in white vinegar. This will keep a long time. Any mold that does form is surface mold only and can be easily scraped off.