Creepy Crawlies | SouthernPaddler.com

Creepy Crawlies

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I learned a new lesson this spring. Though I've used permithryn sprayed onto clothes and tent doors to kill bugs for years, I learned something new. This last spring, we had an estimated 6 times as many ticks as usual in northern Michigan. My estimate would have been more like 60 times as many.

I've wandered the outdoors regularly since the age of 4. Ticks have never, ever been a concern. This year, I had 6-10 of the little buggars. It took me a while to put it together. They weren't coming into the tent on my clothes, or through the zipped up screen doors that are also sprayed. I think I transported them in on the sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc. that laid in the grass before being tossed into the tent. They were then crawling into the sleeping bag at my neck. Next year, I will also spray permithryn into the hood and neck area of the sleeping bag.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
That is some good stuff Jack. Using it on my tomatoes keeps the stink bugs, ect. off the tomatoes. Pick, wash and eat as it is made from Chrysanthemums and is a natural product. You can buy it at the stores premixed at 2% but I haven't had very good luck with it. Buy a small jug of 10% and you can keep your plants bug free. It is also sold in a 36.8% concentration that is used to spray large areas and cattle, but is NOT to be used on gardens. The 10% will also keep your dog flea free. Do not use on cats. For you Southern boys- it will also give a fire ant hill a bad case of the Blues.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Fire ants! Another pest. When I lived in Looziana, in 64-65, the little buggars would build ant hills in my backyard. I'd pour a ring of gasoline around the outside of the hill, then thoroughly douse the hill and stir it in a bit, cap the can and remove it downwind, then drop a match onto the pyre.
That was usually good for a couple of weeks.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Can't beat permithryn , it's the best for creepy crawlers , even mosquitoes. If a tick was in a football field and I took two steps in there it would find me. Now when they do they die.

Yep , Jack it's a safe bet the ticks rode into the tent on the stuff that was in/on the grass.

At Gold head State Park the Florida Trail passes threw there and on one visit I thought I was being careful to avoid any ticks. Had the clothes sprayed with the permithryn just in case one would find me.

Hiked along enjoying life and the trail. Later when I was done I went to the cabin I had reserved for two nights. After all if luxury is available why not enjoy it when you can. Ya know , modern convinces like air conditioning and especially HOT Showers with a flushing toilet.

I checked my clothing and found a tick on my shoulder. The clothing was clean , nothing on it. Later I was talking to a Ranger about finding the tick and my clothing being treated. His guess is that the tick was in a branch of a tree close to the trail and when I passed by it fell on me. Now I treat/spray everything with the permithryn , even my hat.

Ha Ha Ha , Only in Florida would it rain ticks.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I spray the permithryn up into the insides of lower pant legs, sleeves, and shirt tails too, just in case a bug crawls up on me. Hadn't thought of hat, but will now, thanks.

Maybe what we need to do is get a good recipe for a soup or omelette that includes, ticks, ants, mosquitoes, etc.? We wouldn't have to carry as much food that way. And, the bugs would hear of our plot, and begin to avoid us!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Me to , I do the inside of the lower legs of my slacks as an added precaution along with the outside of the socks and shoes. Besides stopping any ticks it also kills any mosquitoes that try to get me there.

Later here at the house we had a tick invasion in the back yard and to make sure they were killed I got a professional exterminator to do the job. He sprayed the yard , the bushes and even the lower branches of the trees , up to about 1o feet from the ground. I asked about that and he told me the ticks like to get in branches up to that height.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
NOTE to Chuck: I originally intended for this thread to be in "camping", where it fits better. I obviously missed. You may want to relocate it, and then delete this post? Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited: