Crockpot Pot Roast..... | SouthernPaddler.com

Crockpot Pot Roast.....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'll most likely be tak'n the Grandkids to see the trains next Sunday while visiting them in DC. I'll be making this for Sunday dinner since once you start it, you leave it alone, no fuss. We get back from the trains, dinner will be ready and good!

Marinade
*Cup and a half of water
*1 tbsp lemon juice
*2/3 c. soy sauce
*Quarter C. brown sugar
*1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
* Half cup of Bourbon

*About 4-5# pot roast
*Couple of onions
*Half dozen potato's
*Half dozen carrots
* And of course, S&P to taste.

Mix and place the marinade ingredients in a container that is plastic or glass. Place roast in container and roll it around in the marinade. Put it in the fridge overnight and roll it around in the marinade every time you open the fridge door to grab a beer. :wink:
(I'll double bag mine in food storage bags and into the cooler in the pick up bed. I figure it will roll around in my drive down about 5 hours)

Early next Sunday morning I'll chunk the potato's and carrots and onions, throw them into the crock pot. I'll put the roast on top with a little of the marinade liquid, maybe a half cup or so...shake of S&P. Set the crockpot on low.
When we bet back to the house about 10-12 hours after I put the roast on, it will be ready. I'll pop some crescent roll in the oven and dinner is ready!
:p :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye god, Jimmie - you'd make some man a good wife! Too bad ya ain't more pleasin to the eyes, it is. I'll betcha that's a 5 quart cooker for that big mess a vittles. Sets my mouth ta watering - I'll give it a bloody go.

Here's a crockpot recipe I like. Four - five pound pork roast. (I prefer the pork loins from Sam's - ALL meat). Pierce all over with tip of knife, and insert garlic slivers made from about 5-10 good sized cloves.

Pack sweet marmalade or jam all over the roast about 1/4" thick or more if you can (cheap, store brand orange marmalade is especially good; peach, cherry, apricot, NOT berry jam). Use a slow cooker insert bag, put roast into cooker for 6-8 hours on low. JARVIS good eatin'!

I do potatoes & veggies separate, but some imaginative sort (Mz Jean, maybe) will figure out how to combine flavors here.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Do you guys ever make garlic oil by putting a divided clove in oil? Then saving that jar in the fridge. The longer it rest there the better it gets.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
That must explain what's wrong witht he Eye-tal-yuns. (Where's Jimmie when I need him?)

You may be right, Piper San, but I'd bet my left, uhhh, oval shaped appendage that it's an OK thing to do. Cuz, I've done it a bunch. They call it Italian salad dressing.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ozark said:
Do you guys ever make garlic oil by putting a divided clove in oil? Then saving that jar in the fridge. The longer it rest there the better it gets.

I believe Granny did it. Only they used 50-60 cloves!Also seen it done with dried hot peppers......stick of thyme....and a few other things I can't remember right now. OH YEAH! Seen it with oregano and sweet basil! Check out the price of Flavored Organic olive Oil, case of Twelve 360 ml Bottles of White Truffle Flavored Organic Olive Oil :shock: http://www.elikioliveoil.com/gaoloilflolo.html

PS: What causes organic material to rot......or bacteria to grow? Oxygen!
Organic matter submerged in olive oil.......oxygen is locked out.

Which reminds me of a story.....When Admiral Nelson died, his body was transported in a large barrel of rum below decks to prevent decomposition.
It was said the lowly sailors started tapping that keg. Hence the saying, "Taking a nip of the Admirals Blood."

I don't know of anyone here that would do that...do you Jack? :wink:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
It don't sound like you are using this jewel often enough if you are worried about it going bad. Oldyaker I am anxious to meet you. I lived in little Italian in DSM, now I have those I know send me care packages from the Grazianano Bros. store just to live.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Ron - I'm about to add garlic bulbs tot he recipe for those power bars. Hadn't never thought of that before. We can have those little odor denoting waves in the air over our heads like the guys in cartoons, ehh?

Shucks, I figure we can keep away the skeeters and hold moccasins at bay too. Whatta ya think, Ron?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Yes Brr'ridge the ice box. I'm just forgeting my up bringing and tring to be a soicilite. my feet are back on the ground now.
Thanks
Paul

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Ozark said:
Oldyaker I am anxious to meet you. I lived in little Italian in DSM, now I have those I know send me care packages from the Grazianano Bros. store just to live.

OZ! If you get a horses head or a fish wrapped in newspaper in one of those care packages.....run like hell! :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Mom used to brown up some hominy in bacon drippings. In those days, we were supposed to save fats etc. and turn them in to the War Department. Darned if I know what they did with it?

I also had to cut the other end out of tin cans, place both ends inside the can, and stomp those suckers flat. We turned those in too and they went to make some kind of war machinery.

I also gathered lots of milkweed pods for kapok for life jackets. I musta gathered enough to save a battalion or three. Even little boys in Kindergarten - second grade could help out.