Cucumber , Onion & Vinegar Salad | SouthernPaddler.com

Cucumber , Onion & Vinegar Salad

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Cucumber , Onion & Vinegar Salad :D

Since everyone is talking about Vinegar, I have something that I enjoy and it was my Grandmothers recipe (German) and quite good plus simple to make.
(Even Swampy & Jack could make this) :wink:

1.....Take a good onion ( I like the Vidalias when in seasonand ) slice it thin ( 1/8th in or slightly larger )then cut those in half.

2.....Now grab a cucumber ( A med. size not a big one like Jack slays rabbits with) peal it and slice it thin ( Same size as the onion) then cut those in half.
At this time I put them in a zip lock bag and sprinkle some salt and black pepper in with them, close the bag (tight) and shake everything to mix them up.
The amount of Salt & Black Pepper is to taste but a lot is not needed ... I use just the right amount for me.... :? More pepper then salt. :wink:

3.....Take this mix and put it in a glass jar and pack it down just a little not real tight then fill it with distilled vinegar, cover and cool in the frig a couple of hours or longer.

4...... The Best Part .....Spoon out what you want with your meal and it will cool you down plus it goes good with beef, chicken or fish as a salad.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
A 'lil bit of alright!

Sparkmeister, Read your recipe and went out to the garden and got me two cukes about 8" long, gonna make that stuff this morn'n and it'll be ready when we all get back from our river trip with the kids tommorrow.
Will serve it up with my BBQ pulled pork samiches, cole slaw and baked beans. Thanks Chef Chuck!

(I'm rais'n two cukes 'bout 2 foot long, will ship 'em to Jack as "Weapons of Wabbit Destuction" as soon as their big enough!

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Lordee Chuck,

I growed up on that salad 'n ain't EVEN thought about it in recent years. I had ta give up stuff lak that fer a few years when I'uz ailin in th middle. Now I's sittin here droolin.

Oldtimer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldtimer

Not to make you feel bad but last night we had some fresh Salmon with baked beans and I had a large helping of the salad with it... It was good.
Now I just have to find out where the wife located fresh Salmon here in Florida and it was not the farm raised stuff but wild and it tasted like Salmon.

The wife will not touch the salad so that just makes more for me and I do touch it, sometimes to much of it. Heck that is why it is there. :D

Almost as good as pickled Banana Peppers, stuffed with pickled Okra or Sauerkraut .

Chuck.

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Chuck,

I kin see you 'n me is just ol salts outta th same er similar brine barrel. I'uz sittin here rememberin that salad. It was always on the table in Summer when the fresh vegetables were flowin outta th garden. 'N yep, pickeld peppers, pickled eggs, pickled chitlins, 'n EP'll gag here--pickled pigs' feet, too. We had homemade sweet pickles, dill pickles, bread 'n butter pickles, red chow-chow, green chow-chow, pickled okra, 'n some kinda pickled/spicey corn in a jar with sum kinda red pepper but I cain't pull it up whut it waz called rat now. Oncet we moved to th country, EP learnt how ta make pickles sum kinda fine. Learned that in less time than it took her to make good biscuits 'n cornbread.

A treat fer breakfast in th old days wuz salt mackeral. Soak it overnight in water, then serve it up poached in th mornin with boiled taters with a bowl a melted real butter 'n sum toast. Last time I'uz able ta find real salt mackeral in a wooden bucket wuz in '64 at a Kroger store in Houston, TX 'n I had ta call ever grocery store in th phone book 'n then drive halfway crost town. Musta got their last bucket cuz I ain't found none since. Kippers is purty closet but sum got too much smoke taste.

Fresh, wild salmon is about th onliest thing I miss about Californy. Usta drive all th way to a little ma 'n pa grocery in Pasadena ta buy a whole one ta bake 'n git some good cheese.

Now I lak sum other things that most folks cain't abide:

menudo
tripe
chitlins, boiled/pickled/fried (only if'n EP er my mother er me cleans em)
cracklin cornbread
fried sowbelly
duck eggs

Jest never......'n I mean NEVER put no damned blackeyed peas in fronta me. :evil: Et them suckers when I'uz a wee pup out on th share crop farm til I cain't stand em no more 'n cain't git past it. Damned things taste like dust ta me. Jes give me purple hulls cooked with okra instead er some purple, speckled butterbeans with th pot likker on my cornbread.

Dammit, I gotta quit all this talkin bout food afore I git on a buyin spree 'n git a whuppin in th grocery store this afternoon in fronta God 'n everbody. :cry:

Oldtimer

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chuckie,

My old, grey-haired Momma would make that cuke & onions & vinegar stuff with brown sugar in. She put it in layers in a large salad bowl. Mom and Dad learned to pass the bowl to me last - after they'd gotten some.

Also, try fresh leaf lettuce with vinegar and brown sugar on it, put in layers in the salad bowl.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Ya said ..... " Also, try fresh leaf lettuce with vinegar and brown sugar on it, put in layers in the salad bowl " . We called that wilted lettuce and it is some sort of good.

The wife told me she found the Salmon at Sam's Club ... I never would of thought it was from there. Fresh not frozen , wild not farm grown .... Go Figure , leave it to Sam's. :D

Oldtimer....

Yep, we are from the same barrel and I do enjoy just about everything that you said but you can have the pickled pigs feet, my folks, both parents and grandparents loved them ... I could never do it ... just would not make it all the way to my mouth.

Has to be a reason for it but it beats me cause I like Gator , Turtle, fried or made into burgers, Rattlesnake, Frog Legs, just about all types of fish, wild ducks, wild turkey , venison and even the stuff that comes wrapped in cellophane from the store. :eek:

All of it goes really good with some Swamp Cabbage (Heart of a cabbage palm) but you need to be in Florida to get that , if you want it fresh. :wink:

Not pickled pigs feet , the rest of the hog .... YES SIR and I will come back for 2nds or 3rd's for that , sometimes even more.... :oops:

When I was working I ended up out in Salem, Oregon and the Warden for the State Pen fixed supper one night ... Prong Horn Antelope (the backstrap) and boy it was good.
No, I was not in the State Pen ..... at his home , I was returning one of there customers to them that helped clean up 72 burglaries here in my county.

In fact it was so much fun I moved my return ticket over a couple of days, called my office and told there was a little trouble and I needed a few more days (the trouble was I did not want to leave there) then had a good look see of the area and some more good chow.
Salmon cooked over an alter wood fire, just for starters. They had watermelon for desert and I had some more of that delicious salmon.

Don't tell swampy but while I was out there I drove a Ford "T" Bird..... The Warden was using a 4 wheel drive Dodge. Lordy I sure don't want him to know I was in a ford even if I was younger and did not know better. :oops:

Chuck.
Government Jobs .. Right Jack ... they rule. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Chuck,

Yep, we wouldn't argue about eats. Pigs' feet are ok with me but I don't crave em.

When I was working I ended up out in Salem, Oregon and the Warden for the State Pen fixed supper one night ... Prong Horn Antelope (the backstrap) and boy it was good.

It just occurred to me that I've never had pronghorn. We had em out in Texas but I never hunted them--ya need a .270 flat-shooter er somethin like a 7 mil or 7 mil mag ta reach out them long, flat distances in west Texas to knock onea them rascals down. My .30-06, even reloaded with light bullets to shoot flatter, would still have a trajectory like you were lobbing em in over the distances they hunt pronghorn out there.

Now then, I've et buffalo, bear, moose, 'n elk along with venison varieties but the one thing that I ate that really surprised me I got at our Lonestar Bowhunters annual cookout. Everybody brought a sample of what they'd bagged. Ol boy had gone to Ely, Nevada 'n bagged him a cougar with a bow and that rascal was some mighty fine eatin. It went fast 'n he had to tuck some away for me cuz I'uz late. I guess I figgered it'd be tuff 'n stringy 'n taste lak a ol tomcat smells but it was tender and delicious. I didn't try th nutria when I had th chancet.

Always wanted sum but I ain't never had no gator, though, 'n I've looked high 'n low fer it over three states. We got emu 'n other weirdnesses hyar and I guess they must be a gator farm over ta Louisiana, er mebbe in my own backyard but it seems ta be a big secret. Reckin ya could UPS me a froze gator tail in a Igloo ice chest? :shock: :lol: What's it taste lak, anyhow? ......'n don't go atellin me "chicken". :?

Oldtimer

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldtimer

Heck ... everything tastes like chicken .... Even chicken. :lol:

Gator , Fresh, tastes just like gator it has it's own flavor which is mild but good. It would be really hard to explain it, the flavor has a lot to do with how you cook it and what you use on it when cooking it.

Now you can jazz it up so all you taste is the jazz and not it, which most folks do and then say it tastes like chicken cause they are eating nothing but the breading like with a KFC chunk of chicken or some shrimp from any fast food place. 1/4 inch of meat and three inches of breading. :p

Best I have ever had was what a buddy cooked up one day. Took the meat and cut it in chunks about the size of a persons thumb, up to the 1st joint (no not the beer type) of the thumb.

Then he put some flour in a zip lock with a little Salt & Pepper, drop in a good handful of the chunks and shake them up to coat them ..... Take them out and put them in the 2nd bag and shake again to get rid of a lot of the flour. Now drop them in some hot oil, Olive or peanut and when brown pull them out cause they cook almost as fast as fish does.

Put them in a brown paper bag to soak up some of the oil and to keep them warm. Do the rest then enjoy your meal. They will disappear quite fast.

Something about Gator when done that way it just vanishes. He did some turtle chunks the same way that day and they disappeared rather fast.... Let's say there were not any leftovers. :D

Ya can put a little lemon juice on them but I like them straight .... Nothing but them. Some folks want a cocktail sauce with them but then that is what you will taste because the gator (fresh) has a very mild flavor.

The cocktail sauce (Never buy it make your own) Some ketchup ..... a spoon or two of horseradish (chopped) and about three drops of lemon or lime juice ... stir and then use. The percentage of each is strictly to your taste, I like horseradish (fresh graded) but bottled works.

Wish I could give you a better answer but fresh gator just tastes like gator , the frozen stuff has a sort of fishy, chicken taste to it .....There I go with the chicken again , might be cause the gator is all white meat.

Ya got a lot of these critters swimming around in your area, surely someone chases them over there........ :?

By the way ... I paddled up on some folks , one day , that were doing a gator tail on a grill and they invited me to have some ..... Man that is GOOD stuff. No I did not tell them who I retired from or what I did in the past. I never asked where they got it either ... just assumed they purchased it :? . Sometimes it is best not to stick your foot in your mouth , they have gas powered boats and you are paddling.

Just the pleasures of paddling a home made boat...... Look ....Joe Bob , he is just Like us.... out here after food in his wood boat....Poor guy can't afford a store bought boat.

........YEA........ :D
Darn I hope they don't have a computer........

Chuck.

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Chuck,

Gator , Fresh, tastes just like gator it has it's own flavor which is mild but good.

Ok, that's fair enough 'n a good enough description overall that I kinda got the idea. I think that a lot of the time, the taste is "enhanced" or defined by whatever the meat is called. Some folks are just addicted to exotic nomenclature 'n let it affect their taste buds. I think we'd agree that a lot of folks could eat spoiled meat 'n not know it the way they over-season or over-bread it. 'Course they'll tell you that's bull$h** and then demand extra tender, US Choice beef which has been aged 'n well on its way to spoilage. There's a method behind the madness of overbreading/overseasoning by fast food joints 'cause they don't buy all prime quality meat. Of course, seasoning the untasty is why Europe so desperately wanted a trade route to the orient back in the days when they weren't no ice boxes. Them ornamentals had all that seasoning that'd make a spoiled hog taste good. Then too, you only want so much salted, smoked, or dried meat--fresh is better. Now I do over season when I'm cooking stuff that ain't real prime like some chicken legs we bought in bulk one time (I favor crab boil in extreme cases). Those things were nasty. The seasoning I use the most of is salt. Seems like us European decent folks never got over overseasoning once Frigidaires came along.

In my mind I kinda figure that gator is a lot like rattlesnake or turtle or a combination of the two only maybe a little easier to dress-out. The hardest part of eating the freshly killed rattlesnake was cleanin the jumpin', squirmin' s.o.b. Poisonous snakes give me the jitters--not paranoia or a phobia, just......they wire me up like a mongoose facin' a cobra. Anyhoo, I spect where ya git one affects his taste jest lak it does fish--don't eat no moss bed/weed bed bass......they taste like a dryin'-up slough smells. I used ta catch em fer weigh-in in th tournaments 'n then turn em loose. Farm raised catfish don't taste good to me neither.

If I run across any gators paddlin' th lost waters here, I may just load up some .44-mag-hot .357 mags with some FMJs 'n just harvest me a ol, make that VERY YOUNG, gator. :wink: My S&W .357 is built on a .44 mag (N) frame 'n just bored 'n stroked for .357. Or, what the Hell, just go a tad hotter with some .44 mag loads 'n FMJs. That assumes, of course, that they are small. Don't want no PO'd full growed gator around 'n me in a paddlin' boat with nothing twixt me 'n teeth but 1/8" plywood. :shock:

Your cocktail sauce is nearbout like mine--I just add a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, dependin on how big a batch I'm mixing. Something you might want to try, if you haven't already, for delicately flavored meats, seafoods, 'n veggies is to use tempura batter. A Japanese friend introduced me to it and to Japanese foods and preparation out in L.A. They had a dedicated Japanese grocery store out there--Meji Market. You can buy it in packages at decent stores out yonder in civilization but it's kinda hard to find in backwaters. Use peanut oil or your choice for the most tasteless oil 'n batter-up very lightly. Excellent for delicate flavors 'n as easy as sin er loose wimmen. :wink: :lol: Great for using in wok deep-frying, speshully vegetables like fried zuccini. Dammit, Jack 'n other feller done gone 'n got me ta rememberin' 'n got me all wired up ta go git me anuther stove-top wok! All this food talk on here today has bent my mind.

Sometimes it is best not to stick your foot in your mouth , they have gas powered boats and you are paddling.

Yessiree, the best part of valor is, indeed, discretion......anything else is foolishness. Like ol Kenny Rogers said in th song, "... ya gotta know when ta hold em 'n know when ta fold 'em..." 'Sides, ego-foolishness er pride should never git in th way a good eatin'. :wink:

Oldtimer

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) I do enjoy just about everything that you said but you can have the pickled pigs feet, my folks, both parents and grandparents loved them ... I could never do it ... just would not make it all the way to my mouth. (SNIP)
Well, Chuckie, if you don't want to eat something that came off an animal's foot, we'll just fix you up with a fried egg sandwich.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Ya lost me ........1st you are talking about animal parts and then you switch over to eggs and everyone knows that eggs comes from the store in those plastic containers. :?

Make that a bacon & fried egg samich with a little catsup on it and you got yourself a deal. :D

"O" can the bread be some fresh sour dough sliced about 1 inch thick and still warm from the oven and thick sliced bacon .. none of that whimpy thin stuff :?:

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

I reckon its a mitey fine blues tune that kin tie this thread all up in a knot.

"If I don't love you baby,
grits ain't groceries,
eggs ain't poultry,
and Mona Lisa was a man."

Little Milton

regards,

bearridge

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
(SNIP) grits ain't groceries, (SNIP)
Well, Br'r Bear, I'm guessing he was pulling her leg then. Cuz gritz ain't groceries; they's "drool gruel". Gawd awmitey - even possom n greens sound good compared to gritz!

You Suthrin boyz kin look forward to being shut up in the old folks' home casue they gonna pump you fulla that stuff. Cheaper'n dirt and you grin at it. Probly git it IV (Swampus Interjectus, that stands for intra-venous, not II squared)

No wonder that big Indian ripped out the drinkin fountain.

A

Anonymous

Kayak Jack said:
You Suthrin boyz kin look forward to being shut up in the old folks' home casue they gonna pump you fulla that stuff. Cheaper'n dirt and you grin at it.

Friend Kayak Jack,

Ya sho got us pegged. We jest a bunch a ignerant Alvin Yorks 'n Andy Griffins. After we ate most of our rats 'n shoe leather, grits seemed jest like Christmas dinner.

Then them Cajuns come out the swamps 'n we aint never looked back. :wink:

Bam.

regards,

bearridge

You can observe a lot just by watching. Yogi Berra

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Does the pope wear a bennie?
Is gritz groceries?
Does a bear "Dump" in the woods?

All certified YES

But see'uns how ya'll up thar don't know what gritz is ( by the way... all Yankees down here have turned over to them) I suspect ya wouldn't know that un.

Now there is the always famous kidney ... and I know fer a fact that ya'll up thar know of this... specially Oldyaker and Jack, and probably the Bay boys : Bears friend and Draino... and yourng geezer Justin.
How ya cook em? First ya gotta boil th' P*** out of em! :lol:

They is good.... Tripe .... when young and stomack could handle it they was good. Tounge and brain... I don't like brain az they tend to stick in mah throat... ( Now does that open the door or what... :wink: :lol: )

Ya'll forgot the desert fer breakfast ... Karo syrup and butter mashed up together! Now punch a hole in a bisqet and pour sum in ...

swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Yer a sick man, Swampus Vomitus - a sick man. Hell of it is - THAT'S what I like aboutcha!

I get a real chuckle outa folks's favorite foods and how we kid each other about them. If you don't tell anybody, Swampus Secretus, I'll admit that I've actually enjoyed gritz from time to time. But - you gotta promise.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Bro Jack, hitz a promise.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pssst.....Chuck! ...... Did ya knowthat Jack ......

Well sinse we're barin our souls at the earlier ages of history, I might as well confess this one. Living in Detroit way back then, I had read James Fennemore Cooper's "Deer Slayer" and had been a regular, early adventures of TV legions of "adventure extreme" ( az they were known then :wink: ) When one day I captured a mouse back of th' lot... Now mamma fixed dinner every night and two other meals during the day az I re-call , but "us' woodsmen had to etch out a menue on a daily bases... sooo I skined out the mouse... first time had done such a thing and I did a most effectual job on the tiny thing. Then came the gutting... it was hot... very hot.... but a "woodsman" never gives up even in the extreme! But after lookin at the corps and feeling a tad queezy... I shucked the dern thing and went into the house and got me sum food from the refrig... mamma came by and said,"My yer hungry today son!" And I replied," Mamma, if I ever go camping, I'm taking enough of yer food to see me through!"
Well mamma haz been gone fer a long time now.... but now I haz Ms Jean to feed me from Adventure Foods and I don't have to ever steak out a rat!
Next time I tell ya'll about the gangs first time to take a scalp......

swampy
Dis-claimer: Little Pards ya'll need not try this at home as at this time of age, some one would haul ya away from home and surround yer home with ATF agents packin ACLU documents to get them to not spank ya...