Cutting bevels with a skil saw | SouthernPaddler.com

Cutting bevels with a skil saw

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I'm building a hard chinned boat. Do you have any advice for cutting bevels with a Skil saw only? Maybe a jig of some kind?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Yes, to all three. The boat is hard chined. The chine logs must be beveled to 19 degrees, transom to 15 degrees, stem and bow sides to eight degrees.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Went to Trade Days in Winnie today and about took off the end of my little finger on a wooden plane. :shock: Ya might know that the one plane with a sharp blade was sticking out the bottom of the plane. Lost presence of mind and put my hand on the bottom without looking. :oops:
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
Went to Trade Days in Winnie today and about took off the end of my little finger on a wooden plane. :shock: Ya might know that the one plane with a sharp blade was sticking out the bottom of the plane. Lost presence of mind and put my hand on the bottom without looking. :oops:
Bob

I hate to Hi Jack a thread .... BUT..... "O" Lord I have to ask this....... How graceful are you are gargling Peanut butter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dam.... You are making me hurt just thinking about that " Bo Bo " you did ( Not like we have not done almost the same in the past , but will not admit it ) . Better let Winnie check out the tools before you handle them , then she can hand them to you.

Chuck.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Wannabe said:
A plane makes no noise like a skilsaw. The noise and feel a well tuned plane makes and gives is soothing to the soul.
Bob

I started my first paddle - a Greenland. I couldn't find the tool to taper the blades til I remembered where I left my small plane. It took a while to get it set right, since it's a $9 piece of junk from Home Despot. The depth setting feels like "all"or nothing. When I figured out I had to support the back of the paddle (since the wood was flexing & making the plane "chatter"), it was magic. The plane just glided, and long ribbons of shavings fell off. Probably mundane for folks with more experience, but it made my day. After five hours with the plane, jigsaw, and handsaw, I have a bowtie shaped 2x4.

islandpiper

Even the regular tasks have a rhythm about them. Take the carving of a violin’s head as an example. The wood is selected, then two faces are planed square and flat. The maker lays out the outline and saws it out, then hollows the pegbox and begin the turns of the volute. Carving large chips first, then smaller ones until he scrapes the gouge marks away...and moves on to the next job. Over and over he does these things, thinking about each push of the tool while imagining the finished instrument, even while parts of it are still under the bench. Real makers dream of violins that are still standing out in the forest. Perhaps they dream of the violins others will make after their passing.

At times the men spoke quietly and the work continued. The bright chips continued to hit the floor . At times the conversational silence was broken by the little noises the scraper made when pulled along the edge of an instrument. These workmen were so proficient, so well practiced, that even when talking about things which concerned them, their attention never wandered far from the job at hand.

Whisp.......whisp.........tap-tap.....the shuffling of a foot....it was just another day in the shop.

From "THE VIOLINMAKER'S APPRENTICE", Keith Davis, Release Pending.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Actually, Ger, Piper San may be the one guy whom I do trust with a sharp object. Unless I'm a block of wood, that is. Even his wood shavings have an artistic flair about them. (Or, was that autistic?)

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Come to think of it, dad had a several old planes. I remember them being rusted and in need of repair, but this article may be just the thing to help me get them back in shape. Thanks!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yer a sly dog, Piper San. I figured that you would escape prior to your release day anyway.

What was your shoot-down date? That was a prime consideration in release of our prisoners from North Viet Nam.

keith

i cut my chines on the table saw, put a bevel on both sides, then i attach the chine to the sides while laying flat on the work table. i then tie the side ends together put on saw horses place jigs in place and with boat upside down, install ribs and then plane chine, bottom of sides and ribs for bottom. OK