Cypress Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Cypress Paddle

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
A friend recently said he wished he could get a paddle today that was made from solid wood. Technically this one is not all solid wood. The shaft has a 1/8" strips laminated to each side for added thickness, but I think he will like it anyway.

It is not old growth cypress like Keith and seedtick have, but it should last a while.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys for the compliments. :D

loafer said:
Bee
you do such neat work
by the way, was that a wedding gift
Loafer

It was not a wedding gift per say. We attended the wedding and there was also a 70 yr. wedding anniversary celebration. There were other presents for that.
Mr. D. just wanted a solid wood paddle, not the laminated kind they sell today.
Interesting note, He still has an oar made by Brown Oar Factory in the 1940's. I think it is made of ash. Guess I need to search for a local source.

Beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The paddle will not be used as a primary power source. My friend has an outboard motor and a troll motor, but no boat should be without a paddle. The most important feature on a modern fishing boat is the electric trolling motor.
A paddle is still needed to move the boat in places the elec. motor want work. May even be called upon to keep a snake or gator out of the boat, or other non paddling duties. Very crude and rough work for a cypress paddle. A harder wood, like ash would be better, but cypress is what I had. I know it will hold up better than the glued together store bought ones.
I have located a source for ash lumber and plan to get some for my next build.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
JD, please let us know how your friend uses the new paddle? Fishing? Camping? Photography? Other?

Jack I have an update on the paddle usage and how it is holding up.
My friend said it shows no wear or damage, and the finish still looks good. Asked how it paddled and he said he didn't know. He thought it was too nice to use so he hung it on the wall.
I guess that would be "Other". :roll: I kind of wanted to know how it would paddle and wear, but if he is happy, I'm happy.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
With a heavy wood like cypress, I think he chose well. Compared to cast iron, it's light weight.
I have a wooden propellor hanging over my fireplace. And, a cow skull with horns. I'm hoping that neither one, all of a sudde, comes to life!