Dagnabbit | SouthernPaddler.com

Dagnabbit

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Last Saturday, my sons and I were canoeing. I learned many things, sharing a plastayak with my 14 year old.
1) 14 year-olds do not immediately know left from right when approaching an eddy
2) "No, your other right" is probably not a good way of coaching them
3) Going through the eddy backwards is exciting, but not always successful
4) getting dumped on a 90+ degree day is not that bad
a) unless the bag holding your camera and cell phone snag and start to leak
b) and, like an fool, you wore tennis shoes and get a lace caught on a cleat
c) and you hurt yourself bouncing off the kayak

Said son had his revenge walking the boat over to the shallows so I could put a foot down and free the other one. Since Murphy has no pity on a fool, this happened about 50 yards from the take out at the livery.

On the plus side, if this had been filmed, I might have made the YouTube top ten list. On the minus side, 5 days into summer I've either sprained or torn a tendon in my right forearm. My doc said not to grip or lift with that arm until I see the ortho doc next week.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
:lol:

Life is a learning experience , some pain , some embarrassment but all pleasure and worth passing it on. We heal and then carry on with teaching the younger ones on how to do it.

The benefit is the healing time , that can be very relaxing. Sit on the porch , sip Ice tea with the good arm and get well.

Chuck.
PS. Thank your lucky stars no one was there with a camera. :wink:

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
We can rust out - or wear out. We're not rusty around here.

Since I missed this performance, could you do it again sometime for my entertainment? :wink:

Repeat performance? I consider it a success when I find NEW ways to screw up. I'm sure I'll provide inadvertent amusement when we meet in real life.

Saw the bone doctor today. It's just tendinitis. Apparently there a two muscles that cross in the forearm. Certain repetitive motions cause them to rub together. Good news is no tear, bad news is 2-8 weeks to fully recover. No paddling or weights until I can do it with no pain.

I guess I'll have to learn to use a double paddle correctly. I wonder if my wife will believe that the doctor ordered more time on the water?

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Bears Buddy said:
Its worth a try. Good luck Where do we send flowers if she doesn't believe you?

I don't have to worry about that or divorce. She's afraid she'd get stuck with the teenagers. Four years from now ... then I'll have to worry.

Kayak Jack said:
Sometimes these doctors are difficult to find, but worth the effort.

Just look for the one who gets lots of gifts from his male patients at Christmastime?

PS - I can now say I'm suffering from de Quervain's tenosynovitis. Or I could if I could pronounce tenosynovitis. Sounds much better than inflammation of the tendon. Sadly, it's also called Washerwoman's Sprain. To bad it's not called He-Man Double Paddle Overuse Syndrome, or Bear Wrassler's Forearm.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
"de Quervain's tenosynovitis" sounds French; maybe it's something the voyageurs thought up? No one here has ever heard of it. So go ahead and call it "He Man's Bear Wrassling and Double Paddle Over Use" syndrome.