dancin' with the flames | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

dancin' with the flames

Over the last 12 months, how many times did ya watch the flames of a fine wood fire?

• more'n 52

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more'n 26

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • more'n 13

• more'n 6

• not hardly at all

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
BearR and Kjack:

That stove is the main reason why my utility bill has never been over $150 a month this winter. The highest my utility (gas and electric combined) bill this winter was $156.50 for the month of January. I usually pay about $200 to $300 for a large load of wood (about 10 face cords) and I am good for the winter. I get the wood from a friend of mine that is in the wood business, so he gives me a good price. It is mostly maple and oak. As you can imagine, that is quite a savings on my annual heat bill. I had the stove installed when I moved in here 13 years ago, so I think it has paid for itself. I also have a couple of chain saws and a hydraulic log splitter, etc., etc. I can and do cut trees when available.

Conversely, in the summer my electric bill is rather high because of the A/C and heating my hot tub (which is 220 V). Usually runs about $100 per month.

Jack, I can't imagine what your heating bill is like, in the winter, where you live. And, unfortunately, the cost of all our utilities are only going to go up and I do not forsee them coming down anytime soon.

JC

Jim

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Jim,

Must be some Scot in ya....aye laddie. :wink: I truly hope the joy of the dancin' flames dont wear thin when ya got 'em in yer den all winter. Next year when ya see some cold weather 'n ya gotta build a fire, have a toast 'n send us a pichur.

Most of my dancin' flames come out back. Got two fire pits....too far ta haul all them limbs 'n sticks ta jest one. I aim ta slow cook a deer shoulder tomorrow on the close fire pit. I laid some of them big, heavy, iron garden/fence rods cross the fire pit, put an ole display rack on it 'n then I aim ta put my cookin' grill on top of the metal rack. It may not work out, but if it dont turn out too good, I'll make chili. :wink:

regards
bearridge

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good. George Washington

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Jim,

Miss Robin and I installed a similar stove in our place here when we moved down from the tropics about 8 years ago.

By your standards, our winters are very mild to probably non-existant but to us they seemed very cold. We are still only about 230 miles south of the Tropic of Capricorn but it is amazing how bad the first couple of winters hurt us.

We are in late Autumn now and the nights and early mornings are becoming beautifully crisp and cool and we are looking forward to lighting our fire in earnest for the first time this year. (probably tomorrow morning.

I find very little to be nicer than sitting in front of my fire of an evening with a very good port wine. :D or several of them :D :D My computor is set up beside the fire. :p

Like you, I reckon I save a fortune in heating bills in the winter and I just love going bush with the chainsaw. I am not sure how big a chord is anymore but about half a dozen 6' X 5' trailer loads of cut timber is enough for our winters. :D Costs me nothing except a little petrol and time.

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Good Morning Folks
I voted over 52, cause Ms. Val and I try to have a fire behind the office each evening to mull over the groups we have had each day and to think about the next group to enter. It seems that setting by the fire and recapping the day give us a sense of oneness with the world as a whole.
(Chuck what cha think perty deep thought for my shallow brain huh)

But it does give us time to consume an adult beverage or two.
Just to knock the edge off.
Joe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Joe....
Deep thoughts from a river paddler. :lol: Folks .. Joe is not joking he has a fire going everytime I have been there and the last time he even built one at our camp for the gang. He keep mumbling something about a camp has to have a fire or it is not camping and this was at the outpost , we had one every night while paddling /camping on the river.

31 years ago when the wife , kids and I moved into this house the very 1st thing I did was to install a cast iron Franklin fireplace in the living room. We have cooked a lot of chili next to the fire in the winter and tons of baked beans in the iron bean pot on the swing arm ( it's like a dutch oven). Easy cooking and it keep the place warm.

The wood of choice is citrus , nice and seasoned or oak.

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
oldsparkey said:
There will be some changes coming down the river in a little while and the tom foolery will be reduced and limited to only to the General area.

... might be less , we are deciding on that at this time. Better git mah 2 cents in now on thiz un!

Because of the number of folks on here we will have to act like adults
What th' H..... !!??? adults !!?? why I ain't never seen th' likes!

Chuck.

Some folks just love to answerer with things not related to anything in that post. Not pointing fingers but you know who you are <gulp>!
If this pisses you off ..... LOL nevar!!!!

hairy here, Watchoo talkin 'bout Chuckles? :D