Day Two on the St. Marys | SouthernPaddler.com

Day Two on the St. Marys

Commodore

Dec 13, 2003
Melbourne Beach, Fl
Day two on the St Marys
We are now away from all evidence of civilization. No people at all. We met absolutely no one in four days of paddling.
I am usually up about six but on this trip due to the weather and time of year I slept in until about 6:45. Usually we restarted the fire first. There were always embers still in the fire pit and so it was a fairly easy task. Hot coffee is the first priority. It sure is good on the river. We had oatmeal most mornings. As my mother used to say it sticks to your ribs. After packing up we were on the river about ten o'clock.
The river was quite wide and clear in this spot but after a mile or so it narrowed and had several blow downs. Personally I don't mind the challenge of going through. Over the years on this river we probably have went through hundreds. It always amazes me that (in most cases) you can pick your way through the brush.
However, on this day on this morning Harry Jr. and Gary were approaching an especially dangerous area. Fast current on the edge of the river and through was appeared to be sapling sized trees. At one spot you had to make a horse shoe turn in current in about six feet. You guessed it. Over they went into the ice cold water and unable to touch bottom could not get the canoe righted. finally the canoe went downstream and our swimmers made for the shore.
This is where the "Bear" saved the day. Stripping down to a bathing suit and wading into the water he attached a line to the canoe. Five of us were then able to pull the canoe to the bank and empty it of water. I must add this: on the way into the water all went well with Bear until the ice cold water reached some unmentionables. Was the first I had heard a big man talk in a high pitched voice. It was at this time we decided to remain here for the rest of the day. Up with the tents, set up the Commodores chair and start the fire. Cheese, pepperoni, drinks and food. Around the fire until ten and off to bed.
What would happen tomorrow?
Day three and four to follow.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Hell, it shriveled my pod!

We all seen that second big tree az a serius spot. The tree closed the river, cept fer a small slot over ta river left. When ya went round there ya had ta cut back rite quik 'er the fast water 'n trees wuz worrisome. It wuz a heap a trees in there.

I picked my way thru 'n pulled over amongst the limbs. I called out ta whoever wuz next 'n tole 'em how to run it. The High Sheriff, Harry & Ray 'n others done good, but when Harry Jr. & Gary give it a go, they come up crossways 'n leaned upstream away frum the trees. Splash.

I wuz settin' there waitin'. Az soon az Harry Jr. & Gary blowed out, I paddled over 'n started gatherin' up their gear. I filled my boat, tole 'em ta sit tite 'n worked my way over ta the left bank. I throwed their gear out 'n went back fer more. They stayed rite there with the canoe in the fast movin' water amongst the trees.

After two loads 'n yellin' down ta the High Sheriff ta give a hand ta gather up any gear I missed, I went back 'n tried ta help 'em with the canoe. It wuz underwater. I seen they wuz cold, but we sat there talkin' real calm. I kept tellin' how they had ta use the river flow ta help flip the canoe.

Harry Jr. & Gary kept real calm. Neither of 'em felt the river bottom. Both of 'em wuz standin' on underwater logs. They both fell off a few times. I seen they wuz in a tite spot...mebbe more than they did. In cold water ya start movin' slow....like after a glass a tequila.

They tried real hard ta do what I tole 'em bout flippin' a canoe fulla water, but they never could git it flipped. They done great, but they wuz gittin' mitey dang cold.

I finally got most of the gear on the bank 'n seen how they caint flip the canoe, so I tole 'em ta jest shove it 'n I would try ta bump it ta the bank. [I done that a heap a times.]

They shoved it outta the trees 'n I went ta bumpin'. Gary went river rite, Harry Jr. went ta the left bank. I done my best ta flip that canoe, then bump it, but it hung up underwater downriver. The water wuz movin' awful fast, so it wuz hard ta bump that ole metal canoe.

I emptied my canoe, put on my shorts, paddled out behind the trees 'n tried ta tie a rope on the canoe, but I wuz scairt I wuz gonna flip. I went back ta the bank 'n walked out in the river with a rope. Cold water workin' its way up yer leg turnt me inta a soprano.

After I tied it off, Harry, Ray 'n some more pulled the canoe off the trees. We turnt the canoe over 'n I ferried it over ta Harry Jr. 'n brung him back. We wuz all ready ta call it quits fer the day. I didnt have no dry britches fer a while, but wool socks kin keep ya warm....even if yer naked.

The High Sheriff 'n the other fellas grabbed a few things I missed. We lost the chairs 'n some shoes, but got nearly all their gear. Their dry bags didnt keep their stuff az dry az they had hoped.

We had three real close calls.....each one coulda had a real bad end. I warned everbody after the first one. Everbody made it thru that one okay. The second one wuz a booger wooger. I tried ta saw a hole in the third one cuz I didnt aim ta haul no gear along the bank.

I know we sound like a buncha characters, but when it comes ta truble, we all closed ranks 'n done like them Musketeers. I set rite there 5' downriver frum Harry Jr. & Gary. I looked in their faces........they done good.

respectfully,
bearridge

A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion but doesn't. Unknown

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Mighty fine readin Bro Bar. I can't recollect anyone else so good at draggin out wet Geezers ... Great to hear all went well .... The Mary kin drag ya in and the strainers can keep ya .... Ol Robert Service should have run it and I know'd he'd have a poem er two bout it .... Sparkey wasn't out lookin fer women when Harry Jr and Gary flipped over was he??? :wink:

Glad that the srinkage didn't up set you neither ... course we'll get an update later .... :roll:

Now I can take off my Southern Paddler "T" shirt ... been over a week now ...
Great reports from Harry and Chuck and you!

(Did Mac "over fish" ...?)

swampy

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Sweepers and creepers

Commadore--Bear: Man that's mighty fine reading. After reading that on the fifth time I finally realized I wasn't on the river but sitting in front of my "puter. You tale tellin' skills are no longer a secret. Keep up the good work. Lookin' forward to ""the rest of the story"". D. Al.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Swampy,

We missed ya....some. :lol: Mac caint fish in the daytime cuz the satellite way up in outer space mite be watchin' out fer him. The game wardens come up with high technikle tools ta keep him frum steppin' over the line.

We missed Jimmy too. We all tried hard ta figger out why. We agreed ta try agin next time. :wink:

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezers

Why is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person? Francois de la Rochefoucauld