Death of Lenore | SouthernPaddler.com

Death of Lenore

Pirogue

This morning I was out getting some tools from the shed and was met with a dreadful site.

I haven't dipped a paddle in months. For some reason it seems like we have always had something going on. Our lives have taken a new direction- but for the better I think. More family time.

Anyway, as I rounded the shed, and stored behind my camper is by Raven canoe I lovingly named Lenore.

But, with the always damp Florida weather, water has penetrated the epoxy and she has delaminated.

"Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow, sorrow for the lost Lenore,.
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore,
Nameless here forevermore."

islandpiper

lenore

Our sympathies are with you borther. It happens......it just happens..

How about (grimace) cutting off the first foot or so of the bow and mounting it like a moosehead on the wall...the bow that preceeded you on those many eventful and relaxing days on the water, seeming to emerge from the wall......the walls that hold you in......ah, the symbolizm.....if you can't do it, then ask a friend and have her there to remember those happy times.

Then, write to JEM, get some plans and build a new boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pirogue

Darn I hate to hear that, she was something to look at and you paddled her like she wanted to really go places on the water.

Do you think the damage came from the hole she received back on 04 that was patched. Sometimes it takes a while for the moisture to set in and do the damage. It just takes a little.
The heat and humidity down here really does not help.

I was trying to locate a picture of her but struck out, those trips we did were before I got the digital camera.
Pirogues was just like this one but in the natural wood. http://www.selway-fisher.com/Opcan16.htm#RAVEN

Is there any possability you can save a part of her to be used as a book shelf or something that can keep the memories of her :?:

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend pirogue,

We been missin' ya. I reckon yer new baby iz growin' up? I aint wet a paddle since May. Sorry ta hear bout Lenore.

New life direction, huh? We got one too. Ya didnt listen ta the Master of Flowbizness, did ya? :|

Life in the fast lane jest about make ya lose yer mind. :mrgreen:

sorry fer yer loss,
bearridge

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one tenth part. Benjamin Franklin

Pirogue

291693379oYtLiD_ph.jpg

Thanks all.

Chuck,
It could have been the damage. You never know. I may cut the hand print and Kokopelli off and hang it in the shop.

Bear,
I have been visiting, just haven't had much to post. Lotsa family stuff, and same stuff working for the man!

It just dawned on me. The other day I was talking to a guy at work and he asked me what my next project was. I told him I was going to be selfish and build a kayak for myself. I guess this was God's way of saying "No, you are going to build a bigger canoe for the family."

I think this one will be a stripper.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I know that picture :D ......Lenore (Your Raven) and my Peterborough canoe.

Late August , 03 at the Econ (SR 419 bridge) before we took out with Andrew in his Pirogue for a wet paddle (rain) down the river.

He He ..... we arrived at the Econ to unload the boats and it was nice and sunny, as soon as we stepped out of the trucks to get everything to the river it was raining on us with the sun shinning. Did that off and on for the whole trip ( darker skies and harder rain) and then when we arrived at Snow Hill Bridge and got out of the boats it stopped raining.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Pirogue said:
I have been visiting, just haven't had much to post. Lotsa family stuff, and same stuff working for the man!
Friend Pirogue,

Reckon ya need ta tell somebody? We kin all listen.

regards
bearridge

Knowledge is never a substitute for experience. Greg Henry Quinn