deep fried sea spiders | SouthernPaddler.com

deep fried sea spiders

islandpiper

i figure Chuck is about the only one here who will know about these little critters. nothing better than a plate of hot, fresh deep fried sea spiders.

Actually, they are the head meat of the huge shrimp we get several times a year. There are 16-20 shrimp (count per pound) , good for regular shrimp dishes. Then there are 8-10 shrimp....they run 6-8 inches long with the heads on and can be had for about $3.00 per pound here if you know where to shop.

Pull the heads off and peel and de-vein the tails. Then, slide your thumb into the the head, pushing the head meat and legs out the bottom of the shell. Rinse, drop into seasond dry breading mix and fry at 375-degreees till medium brousn. A little red-sauce, a cold beer and there ya go!!

The tails are good, yup. The heads have a different flavor and are crunchy with the legs sticking out all over......thus the look and name, SEA SPIDERS.

Merry Christmas!! Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When you are over dipping shrimp and some of them come by you think some monsters have arrived, we named them, Shrimp eating Shrimp, due to the size of them.
You sure don't leave the net in the water when there is one of them in it.

For you folks who have not dipped shrimp, you use a long handle with a nylon net on the end, The net is about 3 to 4 feet deep tapering down to a pocket (just smaller them a basketball) in the end of it to hold the shrimp in the water so you can continue dipping as the run is going by you. This way you don't have to dump the shrimp in a bucket or cooler till the pocket starts to fill up. The shrimp can't jump out of the net because of the pocket at the end, well some do at times then it is time to dump the shrimp in the cooler.

Shrimp of any type are good eating but they have an awful strong iodine taste to them, anyway that is the taste I get from them, not saying I would not pack a lot of them away at a sitting.

Chuck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dad spent some time on the Oregon coast in the '20s. He said that when they go clams or oysters, they'd put them into fresh water right away and they'd purge themselves. That work with shrimp too?

I've heard Chuckie purges off his clothes near rapids. Somebody heard a comment from gals on the bank about something kinda shrimpy. Not sure what they could've meant, though.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Dad spent some time on the Oregon coast in the '20s. He said that when they go clams or oysters, they'd put them into fresh water right away and they'd purge themselves. That work with shrimp too?

Never done that, unless you want to consider the ice and some ice water in the cooler doing the same thing.

I have never had a gritty shrimp, have had shrimp with grits a few times. :lol:
Heck even with .......Hush puppies, Corn Fritters, Potato chips, French Fries, Baked potatoes, Beans, Salad , Corn Bread , Crab Cakes , Fried fish , Crackers or a Cold Beer.
Sometimes even a combination of one or more of the above mentioned items. :wink:

Chuck.