deer neck stew | SouthernPaddler.com

deer neck stew

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

If ya come frum a big family 'er one where it wuz hard ta put the three squares on the table, ya know bout chicken necks. There aint enuff breasts ta go round. If ya wuz hongry [worse than hungry], ya gnawed on the neck. The meat wuz better'n ya figgered, but it wuz hard ta git at. I seen rite off that the wings wuz the best eatin'......jest not enuff to em.

Two days ago Lance dropped by with some fresh deer. Like most hunters, he whacked off the eazy stuff....tenderloin 'n hindquarters. Hiz four kids all live within 5 miles. That means there iz near bout 15 grandkids ta feed. Cuz hiz kids ('n one 12 year old granddaughter) whack Bambi ever chance they git, I dont figger I will ever git no more hindquarter....much less any tenderloin frum them, but he brung me a neck, some various parts 'n two front legs. [He 'n hiz granddaughter both dropped one.]

Dont git me wrong. I make a big daddy dip dog funky monkey chili frum any ground up venison, but I learnt somethin' today. Choppin' up a deer neck aint eazy like a hindquarter. I figger I dulled a Taiwaneze "never sharpen" knife on it. I'm still ahead.....a $7 knife fer 20 pounds of deer meat.

Miz Bear iz cookin' sweet cakes fer the office party tomorrow nite 'n the ice box iz mitey crowded. We froze most of the venison, but I put the neck in the crockpot this mornin'. I sprinkled some black pepper, red pepper 'n garlic powder on it 'n slow cooked it 6-7 hours.

No fat in a deer neck. I saved the juice fer gravy. I pulled all the eazy meat off 'n set down 'n gnawed on the neck fer supper. It wuz jest like the times I come up suckin' hind tit with a fried chicken neck, cept bigger.

All the neck meat in the ice box mite turn inta fine barbecue. Since ya'll know I wuz a long time Memphis in May barbecue judge, that oughta tell ya how tasty this meat iz. If the rest of it tastes az good az the neck, I likely wont buy no meat fer a while.

I dont figger I will make any deer neck stew, but if I did, it would knock yer knickers off.

regards
bearridge

The best minds are not in government. If any were, business would hire them away. Ronald Reagan

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Howdy Boys,

Jest like I figgered, that neck meat made good barbecue. However, when I went fer the sauce, I wuz down ta jest a smidgen of some of that gourmet gift barbecue sauce. It wuz okay, but not enuff fer a sammich with all the neck meat I aimed ta put on it. Lucky fer me oldyaker saved the day. Better'n ketchup, better'n fancy mustard, better'n steak sauce iz Heinz No. 57 Sauce.

There wuz no cole slaw in the ice box (I reckon no jewels fer Miz Bear agin this Christmas), so I had ta put lettuce on it. Even without cole slaw 'n without a lite smatterin' of Zatarains (my gut haz been kinda tender durin' these overeatin' days) it made a first rate sammich.
I'm sorry this aint a real holiday food tale. Mebbe next year they will kill a reindeer?
001.gif

merry near-bout-Christmas ta all ya'll
bearridge
bodine carolers

Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze. unknown high school student

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Howdy Boys,
Mebbe next year they will kill a reindeer?
001.gif

merry near-bout-Christmas ta all ya'll
bearridge
bodine carolers
Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze. unknown high school student

Br'r Bear, Don't knock it. Back in my young days when I was part of the flight crew. We had a trip to all those Nordic countrys fo a few weeks. Reindeer steak was on the menu in I believe it may have been Finland or maybe Denmark. Anyway, I ordered it. Darn that was some fine eat'n! It was one fine piece of meat! So light and tender and very tasty.

PS: The barber trimmed my nose hairs today. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Any part of those 4 footed critters is tasty , no matter how you cook , smoke or dry them. :D

Never got a taste for the hoof prints in the sand or mud but when we could get the critter that made them, supper was on the table. If it walked, crawled (babies excluded) flied, jumped, slithered, swam or ran and I could draw a bead on it or catch it ...... It was cooked.
Times were not bad but extra meat was always welcome , it sure helped on the food budget.

Still do it today............Ya Kill it ...Ya Eat it , Plain and simple.

Anything killed, except for a possum or diller ( Armadillo or Texas Turtles , ya call on what ya want to name it) was table fare.

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Stew

That would jus about be

Arm a dilla = Possom on the half shell.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Jest tryin' ta git inta the Christmas spirit.
fest25.gif

deck the halls
bearridge

Well kiss my holly! Good for you Br'r Bear! I'm mak'n sauce for the bourbon balls. I gotta a half gallon of Rebel Yell here for the sauce. Pat wants to know why it takes so much...."Well it takes alot dear to make good sauce." :lol: I keep tast'n it to make sure it's fit for the bourbon ball sauce. :wink:
I'm gett'n some Christmas Spirit my ownself. :roll: Try it Br'r Bear......You'll be Deck'n the Halls in record time! Merry Christmas Bear!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
BABY BRIAN COHEN:
[crying]
WISE MAN #1:
Ahem.
MANDY COHEN:
Ohhh! Who are you?
WISE MAN #1:
We are three wise men.
MANDY:
What?!
WISE MAN #1:
We are three wise men.
MANDY:
Well, what are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o'clock in the morning? That doesn't sound very wise to me.
WISE MAN #3:
We are astrologers.
WISE MAN #1:
We have come from the East.
MANDY:
Is this some kind of joke?
WISE MAN #2:
We wish to praise the infant.
WISE MAN #1:
We must pay homage to him.
MANDY:
Homage? You're all drunk. It's disgusting. Out! The lot, out!
WISE MAN #1:
No--
MANDY:
Bursting in here with tales about oriental fortune tellers. Come on. Out!
WISE MAN #2:
No, no. We must see him.
MANDY:
Go and praise someone else's brat! Go on!
WISE MAN #2:
We--
WISE MAN #1:
We were led by a star.
MANDY:
Or led by a bottle, more like. Go on. Out!
WISE MAN #1:
Well-- well, we must see him. We have brought presents.
MANDY:
Out!
WISE MAN #2:
Gold. Frankincense. Myrrh.
MANDY:
Well, why didn't you say? He's over there. Sorry the place is a bit of a mess. Well, what is myrrh, anyway?
WISE MAN #3:
It is a valuable balm.
MANDY:
A balm? What are you giving him a balm for? It might bite him.
WISE MAN #3:
What?
MANDY:
That's a dangerous animal. Quick! Throw it in the trough.
WISE MAN #1:
No, it isn't.
MANDY:
Yes, it is. It's great, big mmm...
WISE MAN #3:
No, no, no. It is an ointment.
MANDY:
Aww, there is an animal called a balm,... or did I dream it? So, you're astrologers, are you? Well, what is he then?
WISE MAN #2:
Hmm?
MANDY:
What star sign is he?
WISE MAN #2:
Uh, Capricorn.
MANDY:
Uhh, Capricorn, eh? What are they like?
WISE MAN #2:
Ooh, but... he is the son of God, our Messiah.
WISE MAN #1:
King of the Jews.
MANDY:
And that's Capricorn, is it?
WISE MAN #2:
Uh, no, no, no. That's just him.
MANDY:
Ohh, I was going to say, 'Otherwise, there'd be a lot of them.'
WISE MAN #1:
By what name are you calling him?
MANDY:
Uh, 'Brian'.
WISE MEN:
We worship you, O Brian, who are Lord over us all. Praise unto you, Brian, and to the Lord, our Father. Amen.
MANDY:
Do you do a lot of this, then?
WISE MAN #2:
What?
MANDY:
This praising.
WISE MAN #2:
No, no. No, no.
MANDY:
Er, well, um, if you're dropping by again, do pop in. Heh. And thanks a lot for the gold and frankincense, er, but don't worry too much about the myrrh next time. All right? Heh. Thank you. Good-bye.

Well, weren't they nice? Hmm. Out of their bloody minds, but still.