Dehydrate...... | SouthernPaddler.com

Dehydrate......

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I have dehydrated tons of beef jerkey. I got to thinking about dehydrating ground beef for river trips to use in chili and other resipes. Anyone here ever dehydrate ground beef? If so, how did you do it? Can you leave it out of refrigeration lets say for up to ten days? No accolades on the benefits of tofu please! :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here's how you can dehydrate any ground meat - sausage included.

Fry it brown, keep chopping at it to get it into small crumbles. A really easy way to do this is to cut both ends out of a tin can that's of a comfortable size for your grip. Then hang on to one end of the can and use the other end to mess around with the meat. As you're frying, remove excess grease.

When it's fried up, take it out into a wire strainer. Hold the strainer of meat under a hot water faucet to wash off all grease. Shake/stir some for full exposure. Rinse a bit longer than you think necessary. When done, let it drain, and turn it out on a dry towel.

After it's dried a few minutes, put it into the dehydrator and dry it down until it looks like Grape Nuts. I use pieces of plastic window screen cut to the shelf size to keep it from sifting down to the bottom of my dehydrator.

Store this is a non-metallic container (vacuum bag is perfect) in a freezer. Carry it camping. I don't know how long it will keep outside of refrigeration; it has never gone bad on a week long trip. I suppose it can be rehydrated with water; I use beer.

You can dehydrate spaghetti tomato sauce by cooking, then cooling it. Pour it out onto Saran wrap laid on your dehydrator shelves. After it's dry, break into small chunks so water can mix with it easily. Carry the meat in a smaller, separate bag inside the bag of dried sauce.

In camp, mix the sauce & meat in the larger bag, & add boiling water, and reseal the bag. Carefully mush it around to mix it , let it set. Cook the pasta, pour the wine, start the music.