Dehydrated condensed soup | SouthernPaddler.com

Dehydrated condensed soup

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I like the Alessi Traditional soups , especially there Tuscan White Bean Soup. If you try it make sure someone is with you or you are really hungry since it takes 36 oz ( 4 & 1/2 cups of water ) to reconstitute and cook the soup.
http://www.vigo-alessi.com/products/gro ... php?grp1=7
I take some of the Lipton soups with me as mid day snacks or a meal at night.

My personal favorite ( when weight is not a consideration ) are the Campbells soups , condensed ( Reconstituted with an equal can of water and heated in a pot ). I usually add more rice or noodles to them and don't forget the crackers.
Then there are the non condensed or what could be called the open and eat ones. The can sits real nice next to a fire to heat the soup up with the top pealed back to act as a handle.
The soups are a personal taste item and as with any soup there are a lot of things a person can add to them if they wish to. Personally I like the soups , they are filling , offer a lot of liquid and are easy to fix and darn nice on a cold day.

John Deppa ( who is on a 30 day trip at this time ) always mentions the Lipton instant soups in his trip reports. They appear to be a standard item in his pantry when paddling and camping. He does the North Woods and makes a lot of portages so weight is an consideration for him.
The last trip , towards the end John was making a breakfast from instant oatmeal and instant grits , mixed together, he said it was not that bad and quite filling especially when the fish were not biting. I'm sure he would of preferred the fresh fish fillets. :lol:

Heck , if you like potato soup a pack of the Idaho instant potatoes ( Roasted Garlic ) and some onion flakes with a little dried milk and butter beads would make an acceptable potato soup.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It sounded to me as though he was asking if anyone had taken a can of soup, particularly a cream of something soup, and dehydrated it. But, maybe I still don't understand the question. I sure didn't understand the answers. :wink:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
yep easier too just buy
I think even in the low fat content of some soups
that there would be some fats or oils that
would hinder dehydration as a storable product.
any thoughts?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yeah, it's easier to buy it dehydrated already. I think that trying to dehydrate, say, cream of mushroom soup would be sticky disaster. But, maybe not?

That being said, I do dehydrate a variety of veggies (mushrooms, corn peas, cabbage, etc.) meats (chicken, beef sausage, etc.) and cooked brown rice. From that, bouillon, instant potatoes, home made noodles, etc - I can create soup.