Dehydrated Ramen Vegtable soup for the trail | SouthernPaddler.com

Dehydrated Ramen Vegtable soup for the trail

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about all of you but I like the Ramen Noodles for a lunch out camping and even around here at the house.
I have been getting an Ramen Rescue w/ Roasted Chicken pack ( $3.99 without the meat ) from the PackitGourmet folks to pick up the noodles a notch or two. There might be just over a heaping Tablespoon of the dehydrated mix in the sealed bag. 16 tablespoons = 1 cup or 8 oz. Keep this in mind.
In that pack are some dehydrated vegges you add to the soup as it cooks and they do add a lot of flavor to the soup. In fact plain Ramen does not even come close to this tasty combination.
http://www.packitgourmet.com/RamenRescue.html

Last week , I got a box of dehydrated Backpacking veggies from Harmony House plus an order for there medium sized Vegetable Soup mix and additional vegetables ( Cabbage , Corn , Potatoes - diced ) including some Chicken , Beef and Ham meat substitutes. I plan on making my own mix of soups for camping. For now I will skip past all of that except for the Vegetable Soup mix. ( On Sale right now $ 12,99 for the 12oz jar )
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dried- ... _1867.html

That makes some really good veggie soup with a good flavor and is simple to do , one part of the mix to six parts of water. The wife and I tried it for supper a few nights ago and yes I added some of the extra Cabbage ,Corn and Diced Potatoes to it. You always have to try something new at home before taking it outdoors. :D

That got me thinking , What is the mix they folks add to the Ramen Rescue mix ????

You guessed it , If it's not the same then it is a kissing cousin to the small amount they include in the pack.
Today for lunch I tried it.
One pack of the Chicken Flavored Ramen Noodles. Broken into quarters.
2 Heaping Tablespoons of the Veggies mix... (16 tablespoons = 1 cup or 8 oz , see the savings over the other ????. )
1 Heaping Tablespoon of the dehydrated Cabbage. ( I like Cabbage )
A splash of Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Fill pot with 2 cups of water.
Add the veggies. Bring to a boil , give it a stir.
Add the noodles and flavor packet. ( Not the whole packet just the dry ingredients inside it ) :roll:
Splash in some Hot Sauce. Give it another stir.
Remove from the burner and set aside for a few minutes till the veggies are tender and the noodles are done.
Enjoy..........

Freezer Bag Cooking...........
Everything can be packaged at home for the trail later on except the hot sauce. BUT ...If you visited a Taco Bell get some of there small packets ( Mild , Medium or Fire ) and use them which can be packed with everything , just remember to remove it before adding the hot water to the bag.