Design Softwear | SouthernPaddler.com

Design Softwear

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Any amateur builders on here useing computer boat design programs (CADs?)? I think there are free ones available online. Any advice or recommendations?

beekeeper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
seedtick said:
i've tried using sketchup but either it's not suitable for boat design or i'm not suitable for using sketchup.

reckon i'm not as smart as i look
There are some really good sketchup users on the woodworking forums. I find it most useful for straight lines and "easy" angles. Complex angles are NOT easy.

I used the plans for the Bear Mountain Prospector Canoe to build this model in sketchup:

I was basically lofting the station molds on plywood to see if I could get away with two sheets rather than three (in the foreground). Turns out, the point was moot, 'cause I never even got that far yet in my build :roll:

If you look closely, you can see on the layout that the curves are not fair. I just connected the dots to make the molds. Then I copied the molds, turned them upright and put them on a strongback. One more time, I connected the dots to trace out the hull shape (in the background).

This was a very tedious process. I was bored, and I had plans. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone trying to design a boat!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
rpecot said:
<SNIP> This was a very tedious process. I was bored, and I had plans. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone trying to design a boat!
Being lazier'n the average bear, I'll sit back, sip an adult beverage, and let Matt do that part. I figure that my part (growing the 120 year old tree from seed, felling it and making lumber with my Boy Scout jackknife, splitting those boards into thin plies with a Veg-a-matic and Ginsu knife, gluing them into plywood on a kitchen table, cutting out panels with pinking shears, and then stitching it all together) is enough. I'll leave the hard stuff to someone else.