Different Pirogue prow and stem piece | SouthernPaddler.com

Different Pirogue prow and stem piece

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at all the examples of UJ pirogues that I could find and wondering whether I could do anything to make the ends of the outer rails look smarter. The usual process seems to be to cut them off and just sand them down at the ends.

I am not building true to the UJ plans anyway, as I didn't order the kit and so my stems actually follow some free plans that I saw which described making the stem in two parts (http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_o...ilding_Plans/recreation/equipment/Pirogue.htm).

Here is a pic of the stem as first fitted:
pir_bow1_1.jpg

As you can see it is basically a block with tapered sides (I suppose that technically is a trapezoidal prism!). The outer rails were left long while gluing. Once stuck' I cut them off by following down the plane of the front of the stem block.

I have now made an outer block which cleans up the lines of the stem and this matches a block above which then continues the lines of the rails around the bow and stern.

pir_bow2.jpg

pir_bow3.jpg

These pics were taken just after the saturation coat was applied. I am going to post a different thread about glassing in the questions section in a moment...

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend double steve,

Nice....but it looks mitey heavy ta me. Geezers worry bout how much yer boat weighs, how far it iz ta the latrine, bein' off the river by cocktail hour 'n what iz that smell comin' frum the skillet. :roll:

regards
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Why you crazy, the fall will probably kill you.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Fair point Bearridge but I think the wideangled lens made it look a bit lumpier than it really is. I am impressed with how little the pirogue weighs so far. I will try and get it on the scales before I glass it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Steve2,

You did a very creditable job of rounding off the prow. With the boat inverted, I was reminded of the rams Alexander the Great had on his boats when he attacked navy of Tyre. "Stand by for ram!"

It is likely the perspective or a trick of the lens, your sides look tall in comparison to beam.

I'll bet that you and your family will enjoy some fine trips in that boat. Many memories are there to be made - go get'em!

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Thanks Mick,
Glassing the hull this weekend I hope although it's tricky in the space that I have and the forecast is for rain outside :(

Then I can sort out the inside which I am looking forward to. Then the best bit... putting it on the water.