Diner Salisbury Steak | SouthernPaddler.com

Diner Salisbury Steak

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pretty good and pretty quick for these cooler Autumn evenings...

Diner Salisbury Steak
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 container (12 ounces) beef gravy
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons prepared white horseradish
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, scallions, bread crumbs, egg, and mustard; mix well. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick oval patties.
Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until no pink remains.
Add the gravy, water, horseradish, and mushrooms and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
NO onions? NO garlic? CANNED gravy? What is the world coming to?
From the top, The recipe sounds quite good, and I plan on trying tomorrow night. However-----

Onion Gravy.
After frying the patties to perfection, remove them to a warm plate, and eyeball the volume of the drippings, and add about the same amount of flour.
While the patties were frying you SHOULD have been slicing a large yellow onion very thinly, instead of slamming back tequila shots, and washing it down with Dago red.
When the roux is about a peanut butter color, add the thinly sliced onions, that you have hurriedly cut, at the grave risk of your fingers, and stir until very wilted.
Stir constantly, it will burn in a heart beat!
NOW, you have a legitiment use for the Dago red! If there is any left, tip in a quarter cup, and stir! It may flame up, but worry not, it will die out quickly.
Now start adding beef stock, until your gravy reaches a consistancy a little thinner than you want, add the horse radish and a clove of finely minced GARLIC!
and put the patties back in an simmer a few minutes.
Although I am a dyed in the wool grits eater, I prefer mashed potatoes with this dish, and a coarsely cut up vivian lettuce salad, dressed with red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing. A lot of Tony's on everything, and fresh oregano minced in the vinegrette.
Grilled Gold of Bacau beans will be the perfect side dish.