Do I need a pirogue? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Do I need a pirogue?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My guess is that each of us are referring to the state and it's laws , where we live , which makes the information useless as far as Australia goes.

My point about the roof rack that I use is that there is a lot of overhang on the rack , about 6 feet on each end which makes it about a foot ( give or take a few inches more depending on which boat ) over the length of the vehicle. The narrow rack does carry a boat quite well. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack like I said in the above post over length is measured from the overal length of the vehicle not the rack it is mounted on
Ron

From what I can gather, the requirements in Queensland (Australia) are that the rear overhang, measured from the centre of the rear Axle, is to be no more than 60% of the vehicle's wheel base.
For my vehicle, Suzuki Vitara, the wheel base is 2480mm (97.6") and therefore the allowable overhang is 1488mm (58.6" = 4' 10 1/2"). So it seems it will be too much, but would have to check.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron, is there a USDOT rule you're citing? That's what I'm asking. I've observed a lot of boats that overhang as Chuck was describing, mine included. Haven't seen or heard of a problem. So am wondering, what ruling covers the situation? If you can't cite it, that's OK.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here in Florida if the length is to long , The persons guess on the length , what most folks do is to attach a red flag or rag on the item. Most of the time it is on lumber some guy is carrying home for repairs or to build something. I have never seen or heard of anyone being stopped for an longer then normal car topped boat. Not even the guys with trucks that slide one in the back of the truck and take out.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Same here in the Great Lakes area too, Chuck. A bandana (clean, of course) on the tail end overhang is a requirement after some length. I don't know how long, but normally anything over 3'-4' overhang has a red banner of some kind. Oh, that our society had only these small-type problems to worry about.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
I ran 150,000 miles +a year and ran 48 states with never a ticket one ,alot of the time with over length loads , they do measure from the overall length of the vehicle ,flags have to be 12 in +12 inches 144 sq inch total.
I answered the question about length of the rack not mattering just the length of the vehicle.
Now not to be rude just speaking plain. I was getting paid to do that,so I stayed abreast of the little twist and turns of the law,knew where to look and laws references just in case I meet a law officer that was misinformed.
I am not digging out my references and handbooks to look up any numbers of a law . If you want them google them and dig through all the bs to find them. This forum doesnt pay me enough to do that. :lol:
Ron

FB
I do visit here from time to time but haven't posted for a while as this topic sort of went off topic!
No, I haven't considered a skiff or dory and don't know much about them, but would guess they are much heavier boats and that would exclude them as I wanted to keep the weight down to about 20kg or less so I could handle alone and car-top the boat.
I have sort of stalled for a while as I wasn't sure which way to go (lots of boats to choose from) as well as other things got in the way.
My latest thoughts are that I might be better off with small canoe (about 14'), but who knows?
Probably end up going back to the original idea and just building a piro!!!!
Jeff

hairymick01

G'day Thumbs,

Just a thought mate. The only coppers who enforce the length thingy here are the Transport mob and they rarely, if ever pull over a passenger car unless it is a real sh!t box. They are way too concerned with the trucks etc.

I drive a Nissan Navara dual cab ute (pick up) and there is only about 4 feet between my roof racks. I carry all my canoes and kayaks on them without a problem. my Jem Southwind is the longest of them at 17 feet 9 inches.

The Brits are carrying full sized canoes, (15' to 17') on their dinky little rice burners all the time. :D Poke here, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php

If you are still concerned about your boat length, have a look at an Uncle Johns skiff. Poke here :- http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14/Default.htm

The beauty of the this build methodology is that you can easily build to whatever length or beam you want, (within reason) provided you keep to the angles of the frames. :D I started building one a couple of years ago but then started renovating my home and just haven't had the time to finish it. I am building mine using 4mm ply and reckon it will be about as light as a pirogue and will be finishing it in the coming months now that my renovations are nearing completion. My build thread is here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7557

A much better and more complete build (Chuck's) is here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7336

I think this design is genius in its simplicity of build and versatility of the craft.

FloatingBear

Aug 10, 2012
Hot Springs Arkansas
Good luck with whatever you build. I am in the process of building a 15'6" X 26" Uncle Johns Pirogue. May many fishes find passage in your boat.

Let's update that width. She is going to be about 30" wide at the water line.