DOJ Wants to Suspend Certain Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency | SouthernPaddler.com

DOJ Wants to Suspend Certain Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I hope none of this is true. I hope you can all laugh at me for being an alarmist, but we have to be diligent to protect our rights.

The DOJ has requested Congress allow any chief judge of a district court to pause court proceedings “whenever the district court is fully or partially closed by virtue of any natural disaster, civil disobedience, or other emergency situation,” according to draft language obtained by Politico. This would be applicable to “any statutes or rules of procedure otherwise affecting pre-arrest, post-arrest, pre-trial, trial, and post-trial procedures in criminal and juvenile proceedings and all civil processes and proceedings.” They justify this by saying currently judges can pause judicial proceedings in an emergency but that new legislation would allow them to apply it “in a consistent manner.”

But the Constitution grants citizens habeas corpus which gives arrestees the right to appear in front of a judge and ask to be released before trial. Enacting legislation like the DOJ wants would essentially suspend habeas corpus indefinitely until the emergency ended. Further, DOJ asked Congress to suspend the statute of limitations on criminal investigations and civil proceedings during the emergency until a year after it ended.

And it gets worse..........

SOURCE

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
I understand, Jack. But, they have broken important news in the past and they are not really known as a grocery store gossip rag. Not a top news source, for sure. But we have to be diligent.

Last edited:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
He’ll! As a Clinton once said... “What difference would it make?!”
In New York, you can rob a bank and released in hours. One guy robbed three banks in two days!
I just seen two states have told police not arrest people for robbery, just rapes and murders.
Although this news article may be true, I also read it came from “unknown sources”
Your right about vigilance though, I would trust Mexican tap water before trusting politicians. Lowest form of scum on earth!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jimmy , I'm with you about the politicians and what I think of them.
A long time ago I was asked , Why don't you run for county commissioner. My answer wrecked any chance of ever doing that.
My answer was , I like arresting criminals and don't want to be one.

The irony of it was ... Later I served arrest warrants on all of the county commissioners and county attorney for violation of the sunshine act.

Reactions: oldyaker