Don't waste that lemon peel | SouthernPaddler.com

Don't waste that lemon peel

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I received this in a email and do not know if it is true or not. I do like Lemon any way it can be used so this makes sense to me. Heck I even peal them and eat them like an Orange at times. :shock: Besides a lot of the chief's use Lemon Zest in there cooking as a spice and it is nothing more then the skin of the lemon graded off.

Subject: Don't waste that lemon peel

Many professionals in restaurants and eateries are using or consuming the entire lemon and nothing is wasted.
How can you use the whole lemon without waste?

Simple..place the lemon in the freezer section of your refrigerator. Once the lemon is frozen, get your grater, and shred the whole lemon (no need
to peel it) and sprinkle it on top of your foods.
Sprinkle it to your whiskey, wine, vegetable salad, ice cream, soup, noodles, spaghetti sauce, rice, sushi, fish dishes. All of the foods will
unexpectedly have a wonderful taste, something that you may have never tasted before. Most likely, you only think of lemon juice and vitamin C.
Not anymore. Now that you've learned this lemon secret, you can use lemon even in instant cup noodles.

What's the major advantage of using the whole lemon other than preventing waste and adding new taste to your dishes?
Well, you see lemon peels contain as much as 5 to 10 times more vitamins than the lemon juice itself. And yes, that's what you've been wasting.
But from now on, by following this simple procedure of freezing the whole lemon, then grating it on top of your dishes, you can consume all of those nutrients and get even healthier.
It's also good that lemon peels are health rejuvenators in eradicating toxic elements in the body.

So place your lemon in your freezer, and then grate it on your meal every day. It is a key to make your foods tastier and you get to live healthier
and longer! That's the lemon secret!

The surprising benefits of lemon!

Lemon (Citrus) is a miraculous product to kill cancer cells. It is 10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy.
Why do we not know about that? Because there are laboratories interested in making a synthetic version that will bring them huge profits. You can
now help a friend in need by letting him/her know that lemon juice is beneficial in preventing the disease. Its taste is pleasant and it does
not produce the horrific effects of chemotherapy.
How many people will die while this closely guarded secret is kept, so as not to jeopardize the beneficial multimillionaires large corporations? As you know, the lemon tree is known for its varieties of lemons and limes. You can eat the fruit in different ways: you can eat the pulp, juice press, prepare drinks, sorbets, pastries, etc...
It is credited with many virtues, but the most interesting is the effect it produces on cysts and tumors. This plant is a proven remedy against cancers
of all types. Some say it is very useful in all variants of cancer. It is considered also as an antimicrobial spectrum against bacterial infections
and fungi, effective against internal parasites and worms, it regulates blood pressure which is too high and an antidepressant, combats stress and
nervous disorders.

The source of this information is fascinating: it comes from one of the largest drug manufacturers in the world, says that after more than 20
laboratory tests since 1970, the extracts revealed that:
It destroys the malignant cells in 12 cancers, including colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreas ... The compounds of this tree showed 10,000
times better than the product Adriamycin, a drug normally used chemotherapeutic in the world, slowing the growth of cancer cells. And what is even more astonishing: this type of therapy with lemon extract only destroys malignant cancer cells and it does
not affect healthy cells!!!!
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

Chuck............................

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
The size of lemons Chuck grows, 2 or 3 would last him a whole year. Chick, you still have that picture of that lemon setting on your fence? That was a Big lemon. Thanks for the info on lemons.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Got it around here someplace. That tree was the neighbors and half of it was over the fence and she told me to have as many as i want. It was a Ponderosa Lemon Tree. The last Freeze killed it so she had it removed.

Here is what they are like along with a video...........The guy in the video is an IDIOT which you will learn if you watch it. All you have to do is to grab the Lemon , give it a twist and pull , it is separated from the stem that easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WHb3pzPbA

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I wouldn't go getting all excited about this miraculous cure all. The world doesn't usually work that way.

Besides, the white, pithy part of lemon peel really is waste. It tastes yucky. And, yes, I eat lemon chunks whole too. But I do't expect it to cure everything. I just do it cause most others can't.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The pith.
It has some anti-cancer properties and antioxidants actually, so it is very good for you. In fact, the white pith contains the highest amount of bioflavonoids (an antioxidant), and vitamin C of the whole citrus fruit. It has about 80% of the vitamin C in it. Also there's some great fiber in it.
Source(s):
http://juicing-for-health.com/basic-nut ... lemon.html (scroll down to Nutritional Benefits)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I forgot to mention this and wanted to check it out. My Grandfather would take a grapefruit , peal it and scrape the pith off to make a drink with it , his reasoning was the pith contained quinine in it. Well besides all the vitamin C it also has quinine in it , more in the pith of a grapefruit and also..... Cranberrys and Coffee , one reason they are bitter is the high amount of quinine in them.

" All citrus fruit contain quinine or quinine-like compounds in their pith; grapefruit has quite a lot, hence its bitter taste. Quinine often stimulates histamine release so it's entirely plausible it would produce migraines."
Taken from .... http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 35834.html

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
very interesting chuck. I wonder how much I get with my lemon in my tea? :D :mrgreen: guess I will be eating more grapefruit and lemons. I like the wifes she squeezes her own and makes it got a lot of pulp that way. jack anything is bad to you even sardines and gritz. how you gona eat lemons? :roll: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I think I am going to cheat with the Lemons and do it the easy way.

Take the lemons , scrub / wash them really good to make sure they are clean , quarter them and remove any seeds , drop the complete Lemon pieces peel and all in a blender and grind / blend them into a liquid. Add a little water if it is needed and pour that mix into a ice cube tray and freeze them into Lemon cubes to drop in my tea or water. One or two of the Lemon cubes with some regular ice cubes should be good.
Heck they would even be good in a glass of Ice Cold Coke , Lemon Coke. :D

Chuck.........

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
had mine today, after I emptied my tea glass chewed up the lemen pieces. after they stay saturated in the tea most of the bitter is gone. I guess instead of an apple a day a lemon day keeps the doc away? :shock: :D

maybe Kj can freeze gritz in his lemon cubes? :lol: :mrgreen:

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Love using lemons (and limes) when cooking! I don't use the whole peel, however. I do remove the zest right down to the white though. It improves many things.
Sometimes I remove the zest with the edge of a knife, but when I get serious, I love a microplane.
Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL