Do's and Don'ts of River Camping | SouthernPaddler.com

Do's and Don'ts of River Camping

Gringo Salado

Jan 13, 2008
Angleton, Texas
In light of Ron and Jack's recent trip and with all the knowledge on here I thought it might be a good idea to discuss some of the do's a don'ts of camping on a river. If it just saves one person from becoming a statistic it will have served it's purpose. I am by no means an expert, so chime in if i try and lead someone astray.
Do -
- keep an eye on the water level (rising, falling, holding steady)
- check any river flow gauges before your trip
- check the weather for conditions that may affect the river both in the area you'll be and upstream
- let someone know of your plans(floatplan, where you'll be, how long you plan to be on the water, how many in your party,how many boats,when you're putting in, take-out, more info the better, even better WRITE IT DOWN)
- carry a first aid kit
- pack plenty of drinking water

Don't -
- take unneccesary risks (increase chance of injury in remote location)

Come on ya'll, help me out here, I'm drawing blanks....................

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Gringo I agree with having a trip itinerary listing where camping will likely take place. Give that to a trusted person. Maybe have a scheduled call in if on an extended trip. Learning some rescue signals would be helpful.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here is a format for a float plan:

Float Plan - NAME ________

If we do not report in by <time on <name-of-day <date , please call:
<-Emergency-Search-Agency at ( <telephone#
Report us as overdue/missing and provide them with the following information:
Name:
Age & Gender
Phone#
Colors of Boat & PFD
Colors of jackets
Skill Level
Medical Info

Signaling Devices:
Communications:
Hand held flares
Family Channel radio Call Sign:
Aerial flares
Cell Phone #
Smoke Color: <_____________
Hours of daily monitoring
Strobe

Equipment:
Flashlights
Tent(s)/ Hammocks colors: Rain fly
Chemical light sticks
First aid kit
Camera flash
Fire starting materials
Signal mirror
Water for many days. (Filters)
Markers
Food for _ days.
EPIRB

Launch Site: <________________________________________ Final Take out: <_________________________________
Launch <Date <Time - Anticipated <Date <Time

Vehicle# 1: Year __ Make ______ Model ___ Color ____ License#
Vehicle# 2: Year __ Make ______ Model __ Color ___ /License# ___ state __
For further information or notification contact: ________

Dates From & to
Put in, vias, take out name & Lat/Long
# people & medical information

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
All excellent points, :D

I also subscribe to the ideal of "leave no trace"

Most of our rivers pass through privately owned farm land. The farmers are generally OK about canoe/kayak campers overnighting on their land as they pass through, provided they leave no mess behind. 8)

This could easily be stopped if people start trashing up the place and doing the wrong thing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the rest of the area but the National Parks around this area require a float plan from the paddler including emergency information.

The state areas don't along with the rivers on public and private land. When I paddle them the wife knows when I left , where I will be on the water and all of the information. If an outfitter is used ( say shuttle work) then they also have that information.

If you don't have a wife or use a shuttle service ...then you can leave that information at the local Sheriffs Office and don't forget to go back and let them know you have returned.

The normal information is. Anyway the information I requested from anyone filing a float plan when I was at the Sheriffs Office working the waterways.

1.. The dates of the trip including the completion date / location both put in and off the river /
2.. The description / location of the vehicles even if at a secured area.
3.. Persons paddling , Names , ages and addresses with home phone numbers.
4.. The colors and makes of the boats.

That simple amount of information made it a lot easier to locate someone since we have over 100 miles of rivers in this county that a motor boat can use , plenty more for paddlers on the backwaters.

Chuck.

Deer Slayer

Sep 4, 2006
If you know the river well, then listening carefully and paying attention to your surroundings can keep you out of trouble. Rivers are like women, constantly changing and suprising you :wink:

As an example, on the New (Fries to Alisonia) I know when I should start hearing rapids by certain landmarks. If I start hearing rapids either before or after those landmarks, it's time to scout to see what's up ahead.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It's called "Situational Awareness". Ask any pilot who's still alive. Knowing what is going on around you is a step towards getting to play the game again. I've camped (only once per nerd) with people who don't keep a weather eye out, or pull some damned fool stunt that unnecessarily endangered him or someone else. Never twice.

Best insurance I've found is the buddy system. I have two, iron clad rules:
First, can I trust this person with my Life?
Second, can we get along together?

Doesn't make any difference which one is first or second - both are required.

And, yeah, I've been guilty of not always being heads up. I've probably been quietly dropped from some other experienced outdoorsman's group because I didn't measure up to my own standards.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Boots, when it comes to tidal information, I always rely on my olde buddy Chuckus Tidicus. I listen very carefully to whatever he says - then do the opposite.

I wish I'd started that policy a lot sooner; it would have saved some tough paddling. :D :wink: But, I guess hard work builds character, ehh?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Boots, when it comes to tidal information, I always rely on my olde buddy Chuckus Tidicus. I listen very carefully to whatever he says - then do the opposite.

Time and tide wait for no person , so the tide was confused and running the wrong way. For any pleasure in this world it is best to work for it , this way it is appreciated. Easy paddling is never any fun. Or could it of been we were going the wrong way and the tide was correct.

"O" well just one of those many unanswered question in this universe a person has during there short time here. :lol:

Chuck.