Double barrel .45 | SouthernPaddler.com

Double barrel .45

ezwater

Feb 22, 2011
There's a bill in the Georgia legislature to allow hunting using silencers. The sponsor said it would cut down on annoyance of people nearby and would (somehow) make hunters shoot more accurately. :? I suppose it would apply only to small caliber, lke .22. Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other? When I'm using a .22, I like for people to know I'm active.

JEM

The noise/report would be softened. How much decibel difference depends on the round and the quality of the suppressor. If you're using high caliber rounds that break the sound barrier, there's no way to silence that except using loads that don't break the sound barrier. But then range and performance is impacted. A good suppresser also reduces recoil since the gases are dispersed slower. So your 2nd shot is more controlled. Maybe that's what the bill claims. Putting one on a .22 would be pretty effective. To be truly stealthy, a bolt action should be used to trap all flash and gas.

A lot of people miss the fact a suppresser extends the length of the barrel (unless you special order an integrated one from Red Jacket) significantly. Harder to move through the brush and they have a "tinny whistle" as a tree branch scrapes along them. Covering them with cloth helps but than that cloth gets snagged by the brush.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Silencers should be valuable for hunting. An arrow is an example of a good sound level. Carbines (short barreled rifles) have a lot of muzzle blast. Downs'em for 200 yards and scares'em for 2 miles. Stealth can accomplish more, I'd expect.

The other side of that coin is, if I were 30-50 years younger, I'd have a Remington 1180 12 gauge with a 3 1/2" chamber, Poly Choke on the end, 26" barrel, custom fitted stock with a shock absorber, a sling, and a black, Parkerized finish. I'd hand load and test against a patterning board to know exactly what each load and each choke setting delivered. Then, I'd select favorite loads to reload for hunting and all. Also, a 30" slug barrel for long range work. A noisy gun, but it will hunt nearly anything. Maybe an Easter Bunny will bring it????

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re-sidetracking back to silencers; I have a question. Muzzle brakes do part of the job of a silencer, by venting off gases before they reach the muzzle. Does that act to quieten the muzzle blast? Would more holes - a Super muzzle brake, so to speak - become a silencer after some number of holes?
I guess I had two questions.