Drought in TEXAS | SouthernPaddler.com

Drought in TEXAS

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
The wife and I went for a short weekend trip to the TEXAS Hill Country to visit an old friend (80 yrs,) who was not doing real good and needed some help getting things straightened out around the place. Let me tell you, it was HOT !! 104°F in the shade, 113°F in the sun, and things were parched bad.

This first picture was taken last year on June 13 and shows the town lake in Utopia
GwenTrip8-6-11003.jpg

This one was taken last Friday
GwenTrip8-6-2011003.jpg

This one was taken last June from our friends deck overlooking the Sabinal River. You can see how green and lush everything is.
GwenTrip8-6-11001.jpg

This is what that stretch of river looks like now
GwenTrip8-6-2011014.jpg

PRAY FOR RAIN

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
That's amazing. I'll try to bring some rain with me on Friday, but the trailer's gonna be pretty full already. :shock:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Might need an extra coat of graphite on the bottom of the boat. :roll: There is not enough water left to keep the fleas off the fish. :wink:

beekeeper

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
We have had less than 3 inches of rain this year at our place at Lampasas. The food plots and oat patch we planted did not grow. My brother and I have been running feeders and hauling water for the wildlife. We have found three dead deer that just died from stress and heat. The last two weeks have been 105 degrees plus with no hint of relief. A stock pond that has never dried in my life time is now a dry cracked hole in the ground. The predators such as coons and grey fox are being seen out in day light hours on a regular basis as they can not find enough to eat on their night time hunts. I have not seen any rabbits in quite a while. The turkeys and quail have disappeared, I suspect they have headed for the Colorado river which is very low and not running in some parts of the State. Fire is a over shadowing threat. We have had record sales of livestock at the sale barns and many ranchers are having to feed now. I do not know what how they can afford to keep stock over the winter with no rain or grass. If we have another year of this there will be no wildlife left to take care of. ET :roll:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
guys we are dry here but not like you guys . :( i feel for ya. amazing how 1 year changes. yea its bad for everyone and everything when its like that. i,m sure with what the ranchers have already sold will have an impact much less any more. well all be eating rabbitts and tree rats. :wink: will keep you guys up that way in our thoughts . will be praying for some rain.