Drunk Plums. | SouthernPaddler.com

Drunk Plums.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Had a chance to try something real good over the past Holiday and want to share it with you.
An Ol' Timer gave me some preserved plums to munch on and wow were they good.
1 glass gallon jug. Fill with washed fresh plums. Pour in 5 Lb. sugar. Top jug with gin. He says it takes about a fifth.
He does this in August and has great ice cream syrup by Christmas.
The plums he had me taste were a few years old and wow, not only good but gar-on-teed to put a hem in Swampys skirt! Would be easy to carry in a canoe when placed in a zip lock bag. Dessert after some of Kahunas beans.

Jean

Cherry Bombs

Hi Oldyaker,

That does sound good, those old timers know a thing or two about preserving fruits.

In Pensylvania when the fire department has the 4th of July parade at Lake Ariel, they sell what they call Cherry Bombs- similar to your plums. Here is the recipe my cousin sent:

Cherry Bombs

Directions:

Take one jar of maraschino cherries. Drain off 2/3rds of the red syrup. Replace it with Vodka. You will notice a cloudiness as the alcohol strips
some coloring from the cherries. When the cloudiness is gone, it means the cherries have reabsorbed the coloring. Pop one in the mouth and chew.

I make homemade chocolate covered cherries at Christmas, and usually, I go about 1/3 of the syrup removed and then fill that third with vodka. Let it sit 2 wks before using. Makes great chocolate covered cherries. :D

Jean

A

Anonymous

Friends 'n Lovers a Fine Food 'n Drink,

While I wuz at the lake last week Dicky tole how he makes Lil Debbie Smackeroos. He gits a empty plastic bucket, puts Lil Debbie Cakes on the bottom 'n covers with a layer a Salty Dog (heavily salted grapefruit juice 'n vodka). Let sit fer 2-3 minutes 'n dig in.

Ya kin substitute fig newtons 'er fruit cake, but Lil Debbie iz Official River Food.

regards,

bearridge

Warnin' ta the little pardners: leave out the Salty Dog til yer on a downhill slide. :mrgreen:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
A Lil' bit of alright!!!!

Miz Jean, You got a ton of recipes and everyone of 'em is great! You ever think about publish'n a cookbook? I'll buy the first copy! Since I don't see those "Special Chocolate Covered Cherries" on the ADVENTURE FOODS website, I guess I'll have to try and make Mizzus Yak some for Valentines Day, she loves chocolate covered cherries. Come to think of it, we may have to hook up Chuck with a box of 'em whilst he's layed up. Course he may like gritz covered cherries better. I thought of chocolate covered gritz but it would be real tough to coat them little tiny gritz with chocolate!

Remember your biscotti recipes? I printed it off and showed my mama. We discussed the good 'ol days and how when Granny made biscotti's, there was like two flavors, regular and anise. It was looked on as a peasant type cookie. Cheap to make. But 'ol Granny made 'em every Christmas, Easter and for weddings and funerals. We loved 'em. Gramps and his brothers and relatives used to dip 'em in wine and eat 'em. He made two to three hundred gallon a year, a dry red wine. I still have his wine press in my garage and it's gotta be almost a century old.
Anyway, Granny should have a smile on her face 'cause every yuppie coffee shop has gourmet biscotti's now. Who would have ever thought?

Anywho, thanks for all your great recipes. I like your bakepacker, daughter and son-in-law camp and canoe camp alot. They met as Canoe guides in Ely, MN. back in '98. That is giving me an idea for a gift for them!

PS. You ever make pizzelles Ms. Jean? If you have an iron to make 'em, I can hook you up with Mama's recipe. Sometimes, instead of the flat ones, she rolls 'em up hot and than fills 'em with cream. Not exactly diet food!

Brudder Bear, Is it considered proper back woods eddykit to make Salty Dog without the grapefruit juice :?: I'm not to fond of grapefruit juice.

Jean

Hi oldyaker,

What a nice thing to say about my recipes :oops: Thank you!! I sent you an e-mail so you could make miz yaker happy for Valentine's Day. :)
I work on cookbooks now and then, my brother and I just did my mothers recipes up in a book for our family for Christmas. Everyone was thrilled to get them. My mama was a really good cook. I bet your mother is a good cook, and your granny was too.

I'll have to give that cookbook some thought. I have been working on a pressure cooker book off and on for some time.

If your kids like the BakePacker, they might like the cookbook I did called "The BakePacker's Companion". I took a lot of my families favorites and converted them to dry ingredients for the BakePacker.

I would love your mother's recipe for pizelle!! How wonderful that you will share it. I have an iron, that I just bought and haven't used it yet.
It is a non electric, but a friend of mine moved over Christmas and sent me an electric one that she had. Both un-used-
My mom had somethng similar to a pizelle iron, but she called it a wafer iron. I think they are pretty similar. Wish I had her recipe. My brother does have the iron, it is one of those designed to sit in the fire on a ring(all cast iron).

It is interesting how a simple recipes like biscotti, could become what it is today. I bet your granny is not only smiling, but laughing at the fuss folks make over them.

If you have your granny's biscotti recipes, I would love them if you will share. Recipes from friends are the best!!

Jean

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Okee Dokally!

Miz Jean, Thanks for the cherries recipe, now when Mizzus Yak is off visit'n her sister for the weekend, I can make her a Valentine surprise.
Sent you the family secret recipes for biscott's and pizzelles via e-mail.
Mamma sez to enjoy! Granny started out on a wood burn'n stove and iron mak'n pizzelles, than gas, now Mamma is wired with an electric iron.
Wood fire to nuclear energy, pizzelles thru the century!

A

Anonymous

Re: A Lil' bit of alright!!!!

oldyaker said:
Brudder Bear, Is it considered proper back woods eddykit to make Salty Dog without the grapefruit juice :?: I'm not to fond of grapefruit juice.

Friend oldyaker,

How many Salty Dogs ya drunk so far? Grapefruit juice warnt high on my list before Salty Dogs. Double up on the salt 'n vodka 'n see if that dont make 'em better.

After two 'er three it dont really matter....but be sho ta drink 'em outta a jelly glass with a handle....so it dont fall out yer hand. :wink:

regards,

bearridge
bodine vacation 'n tecknikle school

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Last time I drank salty dogs was at a promotion party in Viet Nam. Drank a lot of them - too many. About 03:00 someone had triggerd off a trip wire on the perimeter, the horns sounded, and we headed for the bunkers.

I sat down, my tummy turned a few flips, and I exited the bunker. Standing beside it, leaning my pounding head up against it, I wished for an 83 mm mortat right on the back of my neck to put me out of my misery. No such luck.

Jean

Bearridge, that sounded like a fierce recipe. I bet it would still be good with a screw driver instead of a salty dog!

Oldyaker, what a treat to get those recipes!! I am going to try them soon. Maybe it would be a good Valentine treat for Sam, I could make your rolled Pizzelles(or try) and fill with some chocolate mousse! Got to have some chocolate for Valentine--might could just dip the ends in melted chocolate and let it drip down the center- what do you think?

I think you might be on to something with the chocolate covered GRITS!!

We could send Chuck a box for his day at the hospital. (You better make it a day Chuck). I bet kayak Jack would be watering at the mouth for some of those!!
:wink:
Jean

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Jean said:
(SNIP) I think you might be on to something with the chocolate covered GRITS!!

We could send Chuck a box for his day at the hospital. (You better make it a day Chuck). I bet kayak Jack would be watering at the mouth for some of those!!
With roaches? That'd improve them a LOT!

(You guys are sick ....But , my type of people ...... cause we sure do have a lot more fun then the average bear , and eat a whole lot better...just put the gritz inside some of Ms Jeans Cherry bombs ...even Jack would eat them ....Chuck)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
MMMM, MMMMM and a double MMMMMMM!!!

[quote=" make your rolled Pizzelles(or try) and fill with some chocolate mousse! Got to have some chocolate for Valentine--might could just dip the ends in melted chocolate and let it drip down the center- what do you think?
:wink:
Jean[/quote]

Miz Jean, What I think is, if you pack those lil' devils with chocolate mousse and dip the ends in chocolate, well, :shock: tell Sam to give me some elbow room at the dinner table on Valentines Day, cause I'll be there for dinner and drooling at the mouth wait'n for dessert! :p
Sometimes, Mama would cover the flat pizzelles with chocolate, not bad. :)

pancho

Nov 29, 2003
Idaho falls Idaho
Ok what a charge; lil Debbie an sum sauce :D Dija know that they is made by by a Seventh Day Adventist bunch who would consider that ta be a TREMENDOUS sacrilage.
They be a religious cult what thinks they kin git inta heaven by not drinkin,or eatin meat. Especially pork. one a my favorite things ta eat is Big Franks wrapped in bacon. :twisted: YUM YUM but iffn ya havn't ate Big Franks I really dont recomend em caus mosta the folks I've met what was'nt raised a eatin em, hates em.
P.S. when I met Jesus I hadda leave that bunch. Religeon's a really bad sbstitute fer him.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Sufferin' Paddler Cookbook

A few months ago when we talked about how to ccok fish - you guys talked more about the breading to go on fish than you did about fish itself! If we talked about boats the same way, we'd be discussing the color of the dock and length of the grass on the beach.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Re: Southern Paddler Cookbook

Jean, Chuck and I are talking about this. We'll let you know. :D Kahuna
Jean said:
Kahuna,

Sounds like a good idea to me. What do you think, Chuck?

I could sell them on my site for you. There really are lots of good recipes on here from all the folks.

Jean

A

Anonymous

Swampy said:
Have a special chapter on the bugs!

Friend Swampy,

Remember when Ole July Johnson went after Jake Spoon over ta Texas? Hiz wife run off ta see D. Booth who wuz headed ta Ogalala. They sent Roscoe Brown, July's deputy off ta bring him back.

Well, he run up on the little girl who wuz gwine ta cook a possum fer Ole Sam's supper. That nite she whacked Ole Sam in the kneecaps with a skillet 'n broke 'em so he wouldn't catch her.

She tole Roscoe that if he'd let her go with him ta git away frum Ole Sam, she'd cook him a frog. He sez he never et a frog.

That's bout my favorite movie....next ta Life of Brian 'n Searchin' fer the Holy Grail. We named our Himalaya cat "Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw". Sometimes I call Miz Bear "Blue Duck", but not ta her face.

regards,

bearridge

takin' a break here, boss.
take a break there Luke.