Dutch Ovens | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Dutch Ovens

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chuck, just bring your favorite dutch oven. You can ALWAYS fit ONE MORE THING into the canoe when you really want to. :) The extra weight might cost you .00197 mph in speed( or .00198- hard to say) :wink: which will get you to the first campsite slightly later( seconds?). Any inconvenience will be made up the first time you lift the lid and take in the aroma of that first dish.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Chuck, just bring your favorite dutch oven. You can ALWAYS fit ONE MORE THING into the canoe when you really want to. :) The extra weight might cost you .00197 mph in speed( or .00198- hard to say) :wink: which will get you to the first campsite slightly later( seconds?). Any inconvenience will be made up the first time you lift the lid and take in the aroma of that first dish.

Joey

Joey....

Only trouble when I do that , Bear is there standing over it and drooling in the pot.
Bear is like the old TV show Richard Boon was in called Paladin. His calling card was "Have Gun will Travel" Bears is " Have Spoon , Will taste anything" :lol: Guess I could use the lid as a shield since it is not really needed for cooking what I am thinking about.
Now I will not even say anything about Mac, he is sort of a Bear also.... Dam good pot cleaner when it comes to enjoying the chow when out camping. :lol:

To be honest on any trip with the gang if I can't fit that Dutch Oven in my canoe someone always finds a space for it , it never stays behind , just the Hot Dog Rolls do that , Jezee ..... they even made a migration out to the west to stay safe on that one trip. :roll:

One nice thing about being the cook , no one leaves you behind ... or the ice chest or the cooking gear and we do eat pretty good on the trips. No one has ever lost any weight on one of the trips. :wink:

I always have thought that a well fed camper/paddler is a happy camper/paddler. Thats one reason I am working on a Beef Stroganoff that can be cooked up in the Oven without the lid on it. My Gunnie Pig will be the wife , pups and myself tonight for supper.
Never have used the McCormick Sauce mix for it , have the beef , and all the rest even the sour cream and noodles for it. If it works out , a good easy supper when out camping. ( Also have the extras hat can be used ..... white wine , Ground Red Pepper - cayenne- , fresh parsley out back growing and mushrooms in the frig) All of those would not be a problem to have along on a trip.
By the way , everything will be done in a flat bottom Cast Iron pan ... but on the stove. :D

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
RE: the above post.......

I am cheating and using ground beef a 90-10 ground Sirloin , not the strips of beef like you should use.

Two reasons , it is simpler to do , costs less ( It was on sale at the grocery store) and I want some of the cooked hamburger to save for breakfast. YEP , Breakfast :wink: I take it and drop it in a skillet , get it warm if it is already cooked then add a few eggs to it , scramble the whole mess , Salt & Pepper with a chunk of toast on the side.
Been known to add onions and garlic also or some good Salsa. :D

Chuck.
PS. A cold morning out camping , that will get you awake and prepared to handle anything for the day.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just took care of a part of the problem thanks to Campmor ., will not need the tri pod for the oven or cooking gear which weighs a ton. Doing like txriverrat.... simplifying my gear for cooking with a crew , when I am by myself no problem but I can still use this for steaks and all the rest I like over a open fire.

See Ron , Ya did teach an old dog new tricks and for that I thank you , you also taught me more but that or those secrets will be released as time goes by. Actually everyone on the trip , Darrell and even Ole Bear taught me some stuff about camping out West. :wink:

80705.jpg

Only $16.00 and folds up to 12 x 16......... :D That is cheaper then I could make one. With a cast iron sitting on it it will be easy to adjust the heat ( Fire) and if not the cast iron then a good stainless pot. Still looking at options. :D

Chuck

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
That cookin' tripod I seen on the Buffalo wuz made on the spot. They didnt tote it with 'em. They jest used some long sticks with rope (wire 'er mebbe chain) with a "S" hook fer the pot. I didnt git close enuff ta see how they made the shelves on the sides of the tripod....but I bet figgerin' that out would be a heap a fun.

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop. P. J. O'Rourke

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
That cookin' tripod I seen on the Buffalo wuz made on the spot. They didnt tote it with 'em. They jest used some long sticks with rope (wire 'er mebbe chain) with a "S" hook fer the pot. I didnt git close enuff ta see how they made the shelves on the sides of the tripod....but I bet figgerin' that out would be a heap a fun.

regards
bearridge
sideways bound

"O"Great , cut down all of the vegetation so you can hang a pot to cook with . :twisted: A simple grill saves all of that damage to the environment and keeps the tree huggers away. NO BEAR , not the ones ( tree huggers ) we use for the hammocks those almost Sierra Folks. :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Why not leave the fire there , it would sure cut down that visit to it unless someone wanted a Rump Roast for dinner. :lol:

Not me ... I will get mine from the Publix Grocery store since it is USDA Grade and approved. :roll:

By the way that Beef Stroganoff mix made for a good supper if anyone is interested. :D

islandpiper

Chuck, here's my Harbor Freight dutch oven. It has been hot many times, turned out some great meals. Just for the record, it is seasoned every time I use it, and i wash it with soap and water...and it never sticks. I personally think a lot of the "seasoning ritual" is pure crap. I'd rather have a clean pot to start with. But, to each his own. I don't think mine is Six quarts.....i have one that size i don't paddle with....this one may be four quiarts. And I think it cost $12.50 or so.
three%20great%20tools.jpg

Also shown are two other great tools: the Thermette is a terrific water heater/boiler, and with the included rings and lids is a pretty good stove, too. Also shown is Joey's campfire grill, another great and simple thing. Takes up just a little space and saves spilling food on the fire. I really think that with these three things and some utensils and a cup a fellow could get by really pretty well.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper said "I really think that with these three things and some utensils and a cup a fellow could get by really pretty well. "

I would say we did VERY well with this set-up. 8)

Joey

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
islandpiper said:
Chuck, here's my Harbor Freight dutch oven. It has been hot many times, turned out some great meals. Just for the record, it is seasoned every time I use it, and i wash it with soap and water...and it never sticks. I personally think a lot of the "seasoning ritual" is pure crap. I'd rather have a clean pot to start with. But, to each his own. I don't think mine is Six quarts.....i have one that size i don't paddle with....this one may be four quiarts. And I think it cost $12.50 or so.
three%20great%20tools.jpg

Also shown are two other great tools: the Thermette is a terrific water heater/boiler, and with the included rings and lids is a pretty good stove, too. Also shown is Joey's campfire grill, another great and simple thing. Takes up just a little space and saves spilling food on the fire. I really think that with these three things and some utensils and a cup a fellow could get by really pretty well.

piper

Piper, Are you an Aussie in disguise?

That Camp oven set up and the way you are cooking on the coals to the side of the fire and with more coals on the lid is exactly the way we do it. :D

33f6d663.jpg

7f977ae1.jpg

Chuck,

go with the cast iron mate.

stickbow

Feb 25, 2009
Americus, GA
Like a couple of people said, it sounds like you need a kettle instead of a dutch oven, since you are hanging over the fire, instead of using the lid and making an "oven".

For hanging when I have to tote it, I like my spun brass kettles like these: http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.c ... em_036.htm

You can get them at places like Crazy Crow Trading Post http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=820-300-000 or a lot cheaper from your local junk store if you shop carefully. They aren't all that cheap, but they tote a lot easier than cast iron "kettles" and they last forever - you can burn the tin lining out of them, but other than that they are mighty tough.

Here are a few of my brass ones:
brasskettles1.jpg

Though I have this cast iron "Potje" one for stationary camps:
ironkettle1.jpg

It works as a dutch oven, as a kettle sitting in the fire, or can hang over it.

islandpiper

mick, Sure, that's the ticket. Except i had a cornish hen going and you have multiple pots of RUMP OF 'ROO or some other chunk of meat capable of serving an entire aboriginal village.

Actually, men have been cooking with coals since we wandered out of the cave and waited for someone to invent coffee.

piper

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
"O"Great , cut down all of the vegetation so you can hang a pot to cook with .
Ya still dont git it. They use some driftin' wood. But I reckon that wuz jest bait? Well, I aint bitin'. [chuckle]

regards
bearridge

islandpiper

Back in about 1970 I was guiding pack trips in the Catskill mountains. The favored cook pot was a #10 can with a coat hanger bail worked into it. We walked with very heavy packs and in that mountainous terrain a stout walking staff was required equipment.

So, we'd make camp, build a fire. Bring two heavy rocks from whatever trout stream we were camping on to the fire. By arranging the rocks, the stick and the can, we could hang at any heat level needed. I think they call this a dingle stick.

The cans were good for a couple trips and then were tossed and new ones made. This actually worked out pretty well. Of course this was back in the days when the yuppies had not invented titanium to use for backpacking equipment or cook pots.

Piper