East Tx pirogue....water | SouthernPaddler.com

East Tx pirogue....water

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Tomorrow is the big day, headed to the Neches Wilderness canoe race. Yes, I'm taking my pirogue. I won't race, it's 22 miles, the river is down and not moving fast, I'm just not ready yet. The pirogue is as much of a boat it will ever be. I have 3 coats of epoxy over all the glass, not finished yet, I know it will float, at least till my big butt gets in it.
finished%20bow.jpg

finishrd%20seat.jpg

finished%20seat%201.jpg

I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow and post Saturday night.
Papachoochoo
"waiting for the fat lady to sing"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
WOW , What a boat and I want that seat. Send it to me and I will make the fat lady sing for ya. :lol:

Dang ya hide , now ya are going to make me make a set from the left over red wood I have. :p Good move on only having 5 panels on the back rest.

Chuck.

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
seat back slats

Paddlin4reds,
Thanks to yall for the kind words. The seat back has 5 slats cause it fits me, I'm long wasted and big.... I mean low center of gravity, 6'2", 270 lbs.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here's a thought. Sit upright ion the floor with your shoulders up against a wall. Put a strip of masking tape up the wall from the floor to your shoulders. Have someone measure at, say 2", intervals up from the seat. At each station, measure how far out from the wall you are. This will establish the curvature of your back.

Write down the measurements; remove the tape, and cut the uprights of the seat to match this curvature. Put in as many slats as you see pressure points.

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
Kayak Jack ????????

Boy, I have always heard you yankees were weird... wall, tape, measure, get someone to help. Where do you get these ideas? Down here we look, guess and start cutting and nailing. However your idea might work if you could get someone to help.
THE FAT LADY SANG HER HEART OUT THIS MORNING, pictures to follow
papachoochoo

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G;day Papa,

Bloody well done mate!!! :shock: :shock: :D

That is a great looking boat and I am sue she drew lots of admiring "oohs and Ahh," at the launch site.

Beautiful mate, just beautiful.

BTW How did you achieve the colouring?

papachoochoo

Jul 30, 2007
Tyler, Texas
cedar coloring

Harily Mick,
The wood is local red cedar, with white veins running through it. I did not put coloring of any kind on the wood, that's the way it comes out after epoxy.
Thanks for all the compliments.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Papa...

Have I got a deal for you.... :oops:

To save you any embarrassment when you have this boat out and about and people actually see it and you at the same time.

finishrd%20seat.jpg

I will help you to keep your reputation and self esteem where it has been ( in good standing in the community) by offering you $35.00 (including the seat , I usually only offer $20.00 ) if you wrap it in some plain brown wrapping paper so I can put it on my vehicle and bring it over here without anyone knowing about it.

I do have my reputation to think about and that is why the brown wrapping paper is required for the trip to Florida , folks do know my Jeep. But what are friends for if they can't help someone.... :roll:

When can I pick it up , sorry the computer deleted the date you sent me , or was it the message ?????? The dang thing is smoking like it had a bowel of that good , almost warm , Texas Chile.

Chuck.
PS. OK....$32.50 and that is my best offer since there is a few slats missing in the seat. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Papa, That is one sweet looking cedar strip pirogue. :shock: You won't have to worry about termites makin supper out of her. She is gorgous, well done!

Paddlin4reds, I made the seat in the stock formation and love it, although like Papa did I almost wish I would have left out the bottom slat cuz it rubs a little on my low back but nothing too concerning. Maybe you could try it without the last slat and add it later if you desire.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
cctyer said:
...Paddlin4reds, I made the seat in the stock formation and love it, although like Papa did I almost wish I would have left out the bottom slat cuz it rubs a little on my low back but nothing too concerning..
I'll send you my Japanese hand saw and you can modify the seat back.