Easy but Tastey Broccoli | SouthernPaddler.com

Easy but Tastey Broccoli

JEM

I wanted a different way to cook broccoli. Boiling always made them have a soggy texture. Steaming works ok but still kinda bla.

So I got some frozen broccoli and let it thaw (because I didn't have any fresh on hand).

Crushed up a couple gloves of garlic, sautéed in some EVO, tossed in the broccoli until heated through.

Mighty tasty!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
JEM said:
Crushed up a couple gloves of garlic, sautéed in some EVO, tossed in the broccoli until heated through.Mighty tasty!

Fantastico! I ringraziamenti per le memorie

Matt! Or should I say Gumba Matt....You must be part Eye-Tal-Yun! That is the way Granny D used to prepare it! You brought back a culinary memory for me! Grazie!

JEM

thanks!

When the kids get back in town (they are on a road trip visiting both sets of grandparents) I'll make it again. I think they just might like it ... or at least despise it less.

My son likes broccoli when we get chinese food. So I'm betting he'll like this. As for my daughter..... well she'll eat it because she knows I'll make her. :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Matt, Since you seem to be a fan of the Eye-Tal-Yun Love Apple :p ......here is a recipe Granny D made you might enjoy. I sure do!
Also two additional recipes to choose from. I have seen it made many different ways, I have never disliked any way it's been made. Could also be made in camp since it's easy to carry pasta, olive oil, and garlic.

Aglio-Olio (Garlic and Oil)
Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil and Red Pepper Flakes

1 pound dried spaghetti
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled (more if you like)
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, plus more if desired
1/4 cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley (Dried OK)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (Dried OK)

In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander, reserving 2 tablespoons of the pasta water. The reserved pasta water will help create the sauce. Do not rinse pasta with water -- you want to retain the pasta's natural starches so that the sauce will stick.
In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until light brown and fragrant. It's important not too burn the garlic or else it will become bitter. Remove and discard the browned garlic. Add the red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute. Carefully add the reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Place the spaghetti into the pan and mix well for 1 minute.

Remove pan from heat and top with fresh or dried herbs and lots of Parmesan cheese if desired. Some say you never serve it with cheese, I love it with cheese. Of course I'm not a purist about anything!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ANOTHER WAY
1 lb. Linguine
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic (whole)
1/4 teaspoon dry hot chili pepper
1/4 cup flat leave parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
You have to work fast, make sure all the ingredients on hand and ready to go.
Sauté garlic in olive oil, over medium heat until brown, remove, and reserve.
Mash reserved garlic by using the back of a fork. Return mashed garlic to olive oil.
Cook at high heat for 1 minute.
Add dry chili pepper; cook for an additional minute.
Add parsley and salt, cook 1 more minute.
Add cooked linguine, toss well, arrange on heated serving dish, and sprinkle with black pepper.
Serve with or without cheese

Some swear you don't put cheese on this recipe, my Granny always did....personal preference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
YET AGAIN ANOTHER WAY
Pasta with garlic and oil (Pasta Aglio e Olio)is perhaps the oldest Italian pasta
sauce, in which garlic and pepper infuse extra virgin olive oil with a
surprisingly subtle flavor, and variations of this most simple dressing are still
the most widely used throughout Italy. Depending on local preferences, other
herbs replace parsley, and varying amounts of black pepper or hot pepper
seeds are added. Aglio E Olio becomes the well known Marinara sauce when
tomatoes are added.

Now that our harvest of heirloom hard neck garlic is dried, I was eager to pair it
with our Italian parsley in this traditional pasta. Paired with a simple salad of
heirloom tomatoes tossed only with sea salt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive
oil, it made a light and authentic Italian dinner, showing once again how our
summer crops adapt perfectly to recipes from the Mediterranean region.

Four generous servings:

2 - 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
8 – 10 sprigs flat leaf Italian parsley, stems removed
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher or sea salt to taste
1 generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 pound spaghetti, preferably imported semolina pasta

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Heat olive oil in a small pan over low heat. When oil is warm, add chopped
garlic, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is lightly
colored, then remove pan from the heat. Roughly chop parsley.

Cook spaghetti until al dente (taste after 6 minutes; do not rely on cooking
instructions which frequently result in over cooked pasta).

When pasta is just done, drain and return to pot. Pour the garlic and oil over
pasta, tossing well. Add parsley and serve immediately. Lesser serving sizes
make a fine first course, but we prefer it with a salad and a dry white wine as a
dinner. Feel free to substitute basil, rosemary or oregano as the Italians do for
interesting variations, but be advised that in Italy, cheese is never added to
Aglio E Olio.