Easy weight loss? | SouthernPaddler.com

Easy weight loss?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, don't ya just love all those exercise gadgets on TV? My favorite is the exercise ball. It "isolates specific muscle groups, tones and sculpts". It's a freakin' glorified beach ball, for Christ's sake!!! :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dad always told me that if I wanted to "work out", there was a shovel handle that fit my hands pretty well. Hoe handle would fit me too, he figured. Wheel barrow, axe, hammer, etc. Darned if they didn't make lots of tools that would just fit my hands like a dandy.

I miss Dad.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I worked in my grampa's garden when I was growing up. He grew potatoes, carrots, green onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, and strawberries. I would dig up the ground, work it over with the hoe, draw the rows, plant the vegetables, weed, cutivate some more. No lawnmower was allowed in the garden, so I scraped the footpaths clean of grass with the hoe.
He never failed to bring vistors to show them HIS garden. :roll:

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My Granddad had his pig lot next to his garden. Every 4-5 years he'd rotate them. Ground was so rich all you had to do was wave a seed packet in the air and it would sprout. He had BIG tomatoes before they were hybrid.

Also had a woodshed about 12'X 15 that hadn't been empty since the day it was built. Back wall hadn't seen daylight in 50 years.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I allways find it strange how we spend a fortune buying gadgets to make our life easier, then bleat about how fat we are getting - and then spend another fortune buying even more gadgets to replicate the work w used to do as routine just to try to pull off a few pounds.

We spend even more money on low fat / no fat special dietry foods because, in the main, we are just too freaking lazy to get of our fat arses and burn calories.

All we need to do is get off our fat arses and actually DO SOME BLOODY THING. anything will do. Go for a freaking walk! It really is that simple.

For me, I build boats, paddle, swim and do gardening. I get my own firewood, swinging a Stihl 065 chainsaw round. My high teck mechanical block splitter is nothing more than a 14 pound, wedge shaped head on a strong handle. I can easily buy a chord of cut and split firewood delivered to my house for about a hundred bucks. But I would much rather spend that hundred bucks on food that I like and that all the so called dieticians tell me is bad for me or fattening. Load of horseshit. If you burn more calories than you take in - YOU WILL lose weight. Simple mathematics - Even a redneck hillbilly like me understands that.

Sorry bout the rant guys.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
My Mother and I dicussed this "diet" problem at lenth many times , the last few years of her life. My great great grand parents were skinny, My great grand parents were nicely filled out, my grand parents were a little chunky, my Mother was a tad rotund, I am moderately obese.
As a preteen, I knew I was going to have problems with my weight. My Father. who was genetically skinny, reminded me often.
However, I was able to stay slim and trim until I was fifty, when the disaster of my life happened(neck broken in two places, back broken in two places.).
I could no longer maintain the lifestyle that kept me at 185. No more 12 to 18 hour days of work. (and then running a farm). no more gigging twice a month and jamming twice a month. (I think the thing I am most bitter about, about the accident, is the loss of my singing voice, and most of the use of my left hand. I loved my work, but I loved the music even more.) No more running 70 miles a week.
In eleven years, I have gone from 185 to 260!
Now, back into context, I have no direct knowledge of my great great grand parents activity, But I do of my great grand parents, And eye witness of my grand parents.
Life in rural America was HARD! Every Monday, my great grand father took my great grand mother and my grand mother to wash clothing.(Grandpa was either blasting holes in mountains, buiding dams and bridges,or building the long beach seawall. Grandma declined to accompany him.)
Wash day involved getting up at four AM, milking feeding all that needed to be fed, brushing the horses, hanessing the horses, hooking the horses to the wagon, loading the clothing, a couple of 20 gallon cast iron spiders,food for the day,and all the kids and grandkids.
They left brfore dawn, got home well after dark.
And this was just one day of the week!
Going to town to sell anything, or to buy anything, involved the same regiman as wash day.
All the field work was done with horses, all the garden work was done by hand. Every recipe was done from scratch. All the meat for the household was killed, dressed, butchered, cured, smoked, pickled, or dried in the proper season.
Although, I grew up on a horse,(we ran a couple tousand acres of pasture)
but I have never worked horses. But I have gardened all my life. It's one of one of my passions. And it's WORK!
Until I got hurt, I raised, killed, dressed, and butchered ost of my beeves, hogs,and birds. An occasional sheep or goat. And a few deer, rabbit, and squirell. Stocking up on meat is WORK!
Heat for cooking and for the heating of the fresh from the sawmill grade house, insulated with newspaper, sealed with tarpaper house, was provided by wood.
Unless they were flush, and could afford coal from SE Oklahoma, Wood came hard.
Chuck, we need a draft mode here. I am nowhere done with my saga, but I can only sit for s long!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I have found a LOW (not NO carb ) diet is about the easiest thing to keep the weight at bay. You can't hardly live on a no carb diet. I just eat twice as much meat and vegetables and half as much bread and potatoes. Any diet that allows a good steak or thick pork chop and all the fresh vegetables you want is a winner in my book.

A heads up on margarine. It's poison for your body. I went back to eating real butter. Butter is natural--margarine is man-made. Your body doesn't handle it well. It's kind of like putting a bit of diesel in your gas tank. Your engine may or may not burn it, but it's not good for it.

Joey

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
jdupre' said:
I joined a health club last year- spent about $400 bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.

Of course you did! According to MSN Money's current exchange rate you lost 217.00001 Pounds (British)!!! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist, been there, done that!!! :oops:

Richard

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
j

Jim, any time ya want ta get a bit long winded, just ust [word ] or something like it. After ye be done, just copy and paste.

Works for me. I have to use that method just to have a spell checker.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We're all spoiled nowadays. ............and, a few of us are rancid

Yeah Jack - sorry mate. I wasn't having a shot at anybody. I was just trying to make the point that these exercise machine sellers are charlatans. Nobody needs their BS machines.

Apart from the few who are injured or physically unable to do something to burn a few calories, there really is no need to squander huge amounts of money on gimmicks, fad diets or gym fees.

All of our armed forces personell manage to maintain athletic levels of fitness without these things - so can we.

We in the western world are slobbing ourselves into ill health and early death.

Jimmy - real sorry to hear your sad tale mate. Your early life must have been very hard indeed.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Our ancesters didn't have an excercise program, excercise was the life style of the day. drinking water had to be carried in from a spring or a well. Just going to the john involved a stroll.(As an aside, I learnedI could hold it a long time, in the Winter, in South Dakota. Bathing on the porch
,in a tin wash tub was also a thrill worth experiencing!)
Most clothing was handmade, and even in my time, a lot of clothes were made from feed and flour sacks.
Now, with all our labor saving devices, and what HAS been, cheap energy, a new industry has developed-devesting ourselves of fat and money. Instead of growing an preserving our own food, we have come to depend on our government, which really has no interest in the populace, other than as a commodity, to supply us with our every need. Using what ever method it can devise. From creating things we think we need, to using slave labor to undermine almost every American industry, then exporting any job left over, taxing farmers out of existance, then any
time a farmer might make a profit, the fed imports commodities to drive the prices down.

This sociaty, in general, has no respect for anyone that actually works. Oh, working folk get
lip service from nearly everyone, but that same everyone, does everything he can to avoid work.
Instead, we admire anyone wearing a neck tie, and professional athletes. (I have come to view
anyone wearing a tie with suspicion. I might give our Pastor a bye, but I'm keeping my eye on him!)
Anyone wearing a tie wants something he didn't earn, and of couse professional athlete are useless.

Educators continually harp on getting an education. Their brand of education. The education required to be in the trades, or a farmer, or even a driver is, substantial, but folks with dirt on their hands is vaguely shameful.
I don't know how I got from an excercise machine, to a condemation of American society, but
I'm done. It's time for breakfast.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Superb Rant Jimmy! and a good wander too!! Love ya work mate. :D

There is much that is wrong with our Western societies but they are still the best ones available.

I think it is probably just they we have had things way too easy for too long and that there ar parasites at every level who are only too willing to exploit what our forebears had to fight so hard for.

I see little wrong with professional athletes. If they are good enough and are prepared to dedicate the best part of their lives to becoming that good at their chosen sport that people are prepared to pay to watch them compete, why shouldn't they get a fair cut of the action?

It is just that what is deemed to be a fair cut seems to be a little exhorbitant at times compared to what others - who may work just as hard at an ordinary job get. But that is just my opinion.

The whole beauty of our capitalist systems is to reward effort, excellence and productivity. Even the Chinese are grasping the concept now. What is left of the communist block is a smattering of backward countries that, unless they wake up soon will sink even further into the third world.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Southern Dakota.....well, I reckon that iz okay. :lol: Van come frum there too. I posted a pichur of him on here a few days back, paddled til he give out.....layin' on a Mister Sam Walton lawnchair, up on the Buffalo River, got one boot off before he commenced ta snorin'. He wuz plum wore out. Him 'n one 'er two other geezers must have a jake leg.....near bout drained my jug of fine sippin' whiskey the evenin' before. I had some Dago Red hid in the canoe, but I aint a true blood Italian 'n gotta have a sip of whiskey frum Kentucy 'er Tennessee before bed.......sometimes dream of the stars 'n the Southern constellations like the Dolly Parton Peaks, the Big Possum 'er the Bear Bryant Crimson Tide goal posts.

I think there iz somethin' bout Southern Dakota in the Birmingham Sea Scrolls. IIRC, it sez good ammo at a fair price. Not exactly, but when ya read a sea scroll, ya gotta be a high trained prognostiklizer 'er own a sheepskin on ancient scroll readin' frum Bodine College online....like that fella frum Southern Bend, Notredamus. [Bodine online aint quite up 'n runnin' yet....but Billy Gene 'n Bubba been workin' on it....so far they found the windows.]

The sea scrolls will be on display next ta the Bud Lite women wearin' extra small t-shirts at the Texas Motor Speedway next month. This iz the first time they left Miz Rose Etta's truck stop in Opelika, cept when Mister Stone takes 'em over ta Tallydega fer folks ta oogle. Most of the folks who show up there know a fair amount bout scroll readin'....drunk 'er sober.

regards
bearridge

ps Some of ya'll like heard bout Touchdown Jesus in Southern Bend? Well, in Opelika there iz a cafe with Barbecue Jesus. [It iz smaller 'n made outta plastic, but the scrolls got nuthin' bad ta say bout plastic.....so far.] The first time I drove ta the sunshine state ta paddle with the geezers I got turned round drivin' inta Opelika 'n ended up there. I figger it wuz a sign. Wont raize my eyebrows if the scrolls have a good word fer their barbecue plate....but the translatin' haz been movin' kinda slow cuz everbody spent the summer wonderin' what Brett aimed ta do come fall.

All power corrupts, but we need the electricity. Unknown

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
:shock: :shock:

Bear, that is a bloody CLASSIC mate.!! :D bloody priceless. :lol: :lol:

Man, I wish I could do that.

Only a highly edumicated lawyer type bloke could use sooooo many words and completely confuse me so. I have absolutely no idea what you just said mate.