Edisto River trip 2006 | SouthernPaddler.com

Edisto River trip 2006

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Thursday morning finally came! Four thirty in the morning. Dark outside I slipped out of bed and got dressed in the dark. I put on a pot of coffee and pulled out items from the frig that I had placed in there the day before to take with me on the trip. The truck was packed and everything save a few items for the last minute.

After saying goodbye to the wife , I headed to town to fill up with gas . Next I returned home which was on the rote south anyways and checked to see if I had the ropes I needed. By 05:25 I was west bound on my planned route. The day bloomed as predicted . A beautiful Carolina Blue sky was promised by the clear night sky. Cool but refreshing. My spirits were high as I headed south at Lumberton, NC on I-95. Two hours from there I would pull up in a very shady South Carolina, Coleton State Park to see a familiar Jeep with it new red cedar pirogue ( sans black bottom) on the trailer behind it. The high sheriff was inside a park office talking (?) to the park ranger. Karen. Chuck said he had toured the campsites and that two of them would serve our stay. Our plan had so far, been to camp and after meeting everyone, wed pull out for the river on Saturday morning.

The campsites were next to each other and very pretty. A swamp buffer separated us from the river and our tents.
Edisto%20035.jpg

My report separates into two reports here. One is about the river and the plans and how they had to change. The other report is about how we ate on this trip. Condemned men do not get this well of fare on their last day.

Chuck and I enjoyed the day by taking a trip down to the next state park , Givhans SP, some 15 miles down the road. This was to be our pull out on Monday morning. Turns out that the park is undergoing some road work. Lets say the one foot of sand needed something to keep it from blowing all over all the time! Plans were being changed already. Wed present the others with the scenario that wed pull out here but return to Coleton SP on Monday morning. The barren look of Givhans also endorsed our new plan.

Somewhere around 5 pm we looked up and saw Yaker pulling in. Smiles on our faces as we were glad the guy had found his way some 800 miles into this little piece of heaven. Fifteen minutes later Dave drove in. No boat on top his Jeep!!! He explained that he had to be back on Sunday , yet he came up to visit with us in camp. That was very great. At least to talk with him and allow him the privilege to be embarrassed by us !

So the night began. After Jimmy had rested, he pulled out some steaks that Paul Bunyon would have considered as large. I had the baked potatoes re-heating. They had been prepared the night before by my wife, Katie, and now were heating up anew on the fire grill. The camp was taking on a grand aroma .
Edisto%20003.jpg
It was quiet when the eating began.
Edisto%20004.jpg
The steaks were tender and juicy, the potatoes soft and melted butter and sour cream added their tastes to the plate. This was not a meal for babies.

Nest came the time to sit back and talk if one wished. And all wished to talk. Laughs began and never ended. Old tales were re-told. The new paddling plans were reviewed and Oked by the three of us who would paddle Saturday morning. I went to hit the Hennessey early. It had been a long day for me. But the others soon followed. The South Carolina adventure was to begin the next day.

The locals were more than nice. A small country store just outside the campgrounds declared egg bisques every morning beginning at 5:30 am. Soft drinks and a few other items were all that were on the shelves. But I did buy my fishing license there. Back down the road where I-95 and highway 61 crossed ( and where we all got off I-95) are three gas stations/store with one having a restaurant. Truckers know of this place by the local Cber at the helm in the store. Bags of ice were bought there . St George is ten miles north on highway 15. That road is the road off 61 that the camp ground is on. Everywhere is accessible from these two roads. The road to Givhans ( 61) was country and we noted that a public landing to the Edisto about half way between the two campgrounds was easily marked along the road. South Carolina was making paddling easier for travelers. Their prime rivers and lakes are now being marketed and you will meet many folks from all over the world around there. Yes, around the world. We met people from Europe Canadians next to us several nights were completive cane racers. Old geezers who followed the trails of competition that muscled their way up and down the river as fast as an electric motorized canoe could. One claimed that they run from 7 to 8 mph !

The two ladies at the corner grocery store thought me to young to flirt with but the high sheriff was primal meat. The sheriff hadnt lost his public image he had lost his youthful waist line.

Friday meals were bacon and eggs for breakfast, brats at noon, and home made spaghetti and sauce from Mrs. Dorazio ( Jimmies mom) . I have had the pleasure to have eaten this meal before in Virginia last fall when cold weather broke up the fall retreat in the Natahala River Gorge. It is to say breathlessly wonderful. The full aromas awaken the Italian in all of us. We all become bonded through the meal. No noises came from anyone while smacking our lips and gums tasting and lingering over each mouthful. Thats again and again Mrs. Dorazio for such wonder food! Boy we were roughing it eh?
Edisto%20039.jpg
bacon on taco ...

Saturday morning came and we had the camp packed up. Dave was to bring us all back from Givhans SP where wed park our trucks for the take out on Monday. Sipping the last of the hot coffee, Larry one of the nicest Rangers youll find anywhere came into camp and told us about the storm surging across South Carolina and would by early afternoon be on top of us. Winds, tornadoes warnings and watches, and winds over 60 mph across the areas it was hitting at that moment , it looked to be a paddlers night mare.
We have been I strong storms before, but to ponder on sitting along a swamp shore and wondering if trees would drop on us caused us to re-group and re-think the plan. Clearly we had been warned and it was clearer that we would be risking everything to head out on the river now with full blown weather forecasts. The better part of Valor today was to hunker down here in camp. So we went ahead and decided to stay in Edisto SP. We got one of the lots we had. But didnt want to un-pack with winds headed into the area. We kept our gear loaded. When the rains came, Jimmy and I headed into St. George and Dave headed home. Chuck stayed with is Jeep and my truck at the crossroads of 61 & 15 where no trees grew to fall down on us. The rains were putting a damper on a circus in St. George but not on our store skills. One laugh after another. Even grocery shopping had its humor. This brightened up the locals who wondered what the storm had brought into their fair town. In the rain we headed back to camp and found Chuck reclined in his Jeep. We drove back into camp and with a break in the rain set up our new campsite. And no sooner had we set up that the rains began anew. Heavy at times but we were snug as bugs in a rug. Coffee was drunk, brats were eaten with sauerkraut & buns.
Edisto%20013.jpg
food was great .... here Italian sausage and kraut Gadz were growing boys! Our waist lines were beginning to show an increase already. With now exercise to boot!

Night time and the sounds of the swamp enclosed us. Many birds were coming home to the their northern boundaries. Many more to continue north as spring has begun its course northward. Canadian hookers were driving north and their pleasant honking was appreciated by all below. Owls courted among the trees. I saw pleated woodpeckers, male and female. Squirrels jumped all around us.

Edisto%20016.jpg
and some wonder why green lights and aliens stories begin in the swamps ...
A four foot “worm

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Good Report Swampy.

Except for a few things ..... The Pirogue is California Red Wood , twenty to thirty years old cured , dried , RED WOOD not CEDAR :evil: (Yuck) and the one picture where you are wrapped up in tin foil to warm up that is me taking my shirt off so I can cool down, ya can tell for all of the scares on me, not to mention the expanded waist line from all of the chow....Darn Good Chow which Chief Swampy cooked up and was furnished by the green light Yankee.... Oldyaker. ( Of the Save the >>>---------------> KELTY Fame ). :lol:

Por Oldyaker , I thought he was going to split a seam or wet his pants on this trip with him laughing at us all of the time. Ya had to be there to enjoy that.............We had ton's of fun. :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Very good report Swampy and 99% true. :roll: I couldn't have done better than yours or Carlos report. Bumper stickers are being made up, "Save The Kelty!" I feel bad for any of our friends who missed this trip. We wish you were there..... :( You were, at least in our thoughts and laughter. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Since I have two that is (2) Keltys send me one of those bumper stickers.

I have to protect my Kelty Canyon Tarp (they are collectors items :D ) and the other is just a normal Kelty tarp , if anyone could or would ever call a Kelty tarp normal...... Shame on them.

Ya know there are some folks out there in this Cruel, Nasty, Mean, Cold, Unforgiving, Snooty, Yuppie, lattie (Or Scotch) drinking windy world that do not appreciate the finer things in life like a good Kelty Tarp. :D

"O" NO they have to have something made my someone else or ones used to cover roofs after hurricanes :roll: ..... but if they want an inferior tarp .... More power to them and there BMW'S which have a lot of power.

In serious trouble here but my Kelty ( Sought after and Desired Collectors Item) Tarp will protect me.....
Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Mah K-Mart - Wal Mart tarps will survive ya'lls ... and I don't have to collect fire burns to keep it safe ... :wink: and sound :roll:

Those Cooke tarps ... everyone sez they have one an I ain't yet to see on first hand .... now I do save a heap on those things... I don't buy em :mrgreen: !

But I do haz to get me another mattress fer the ground sleepin ....

swampy , Camp Cook , Fireman and BS Detector
Bodine School o' Social Graces an' Such

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
We used Swampy's tarp as a colander to drain the water from the pasta. :lol:
What Swampy saves on the purchase of a cheap tarp over a Kelty or Cookes, he spends on duct tape patching the holes in his Wally World tarp. He say's it gives his tarp character.:lol: 3M sends him a Christmas card every year.
Swampy also packs light. He uses a dish towel for drying dishes and also as a bath towel to save space packing. Small enough to dry those small crevices in those camping pots........(ahem...cough) and other areas.
OK, OK.....So I had a small stove fire.
:? My Kelty was in danger. Swampy is my hero. I was protecting my tarp and Swampy, that unselfish great guy, put the fire out with a pot of his precious coffee. What a Guy! However, he should thank me!!! Yes, THANK ME! When his tarp was near that fire, the heat melted his tarp and sealed up all the leaks! All I get is jabs in the a$$ with a sharp stick. :cry:
"SAVE THE KELTY!" Yep Chuck, any Paddl'n Geezer worth his salt owns a Kelty. We are kindred spirits when it comes to Kelty's.
Hello, my name is Yak, and yes it's true, I have a tarp fetish..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldyaker said:
... My Kelty was in danger. Swampy is my hero. I was protecting my tarp and Swampy, that unselfish great guy, put the fire out with a pot of his precious coffee....
Good thing none of that coffee got on a boat or car - it would have etched the epoxy or paint.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Truthful Jack,

I drank a heap a hiz java. It aint nuthin' wrong with it. In fact, it iz bout the best coffee this side a Denny's....which used ta be "Sambos" til the PC folks went ta foamin' at the mouth.

Mister Starbuck hizownself would lay rite down 'n cry if he had a cup a Swampy's joe. Heck, it makes ya talk poetry, Wordsworth 'n Jimmy Dean.

If we wuz all gwine ta take a herd up ta Montana (a cattlemen's paradice ta hear Jake tell it), I reckon we'd want Swampy pourin' the joe ever mornin'. I'd want the Chuck Wagon with a proper sign. I'd want purty gals ta rub out the sore muscles ever day.....oooopps. Now don't any of ya little pardners try that on the range. Hirin' some workin' gals ta massage wore out ole geezers aint the reglar way....but it iz dang sho on the Path of the Geezer. 8)

regards,
bearridge
bodine cafe

I jest want to see one more place that aint settled before I take up the rocking chair. Gus McCrae

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Bro Bar, the next pot iz on me. :wink:

Mah coffee don't do nuthin to paint cept maybe thin hit out sum whilst it's still in the bucket.
The "new" method I lernt last fall seemed to be great fer all. Lernt it frum a 1923 book on th' outdoors. So it ain't much o' a secret to sum ... but how many read anythnag from the outdoors o' yesteryears? Not many I recon.....

Yep Bro bar ya missed a truely eatin trip .... all ya'll did ..... but we did git to have all them extras .... now it's a challenge to git th' wife to make such a table everytday hare at home .... :cry:

So when the Fall Gatherin is announced ya'll be ready to pack up fer the weekend and head fer the table...
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
The space blanket is not only for a comfortable nights rest, but can also be use for protection from those pesky aliens and also very stylish as evening wear around the campfire. Here Swampy models his space blanket showing it's benefits of taking off that evening chill, alien protection, and it's stylish looks. Order today and he'll include a free pack of Cowboy Coffee as a bonus. If you don't like the space blanket, return it for full refund, keep the coffee as his gift!

Edisto%20030.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

If he had been paddlin' with Ole Burt 'n the boys on the Chahoulawaysse, those crackers would have kept their distance. :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge

Courage is the greatest of all virtues, because if you haven't courage, you may not have an opportunity to use any of the others. Samuel Johnson

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Seems when the old geezers git together that the party on both sides move the next morning ... :shock:

I think it's cause we so nice .... :roll:

Chucky ..... cedar ..... :wink: ( he loves this )

Kelty Tarps .... one stage from a tissue .... designed by a cross eyed tent maker ..... for keeping rain off of pebbles and other small things .....
Started to buy one once ... then not .... it did keep Chucky's cot dry .... and caused Jimmy's "ballarina" to dance on high ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

swampy