Edisto River Trip Page #1 | SouthernPaddler.com

Edisto River Trip Page #1

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The morning mist off the Edisto River in the cool of the morning.
edisto%20027.jpg

The Edisto River trip is over with and in the record books. There were four hardy and ready paddlers for this trip. Oldyaker , Swampy ,David and myself but only three got on the water.

Duty called for David so he was able to camp but not get on the water. I arrived at the Park (Colleton State Park) 1st.
Managed to talk to the Rangers, then look the camping grounds over to locate the best two campsites which were #19 & 20 for us.
#19 was idea for David's tent and my dog house since I planned on using it at the park and the hammock on the river. Oldyaker and Swampy wanted to use the hammocks in camp and #20 had the trees just right for two hammocks.

I was at the Ranger Station talking to Ranger, Karen when she got this freighting look on her face .... So I turned around and there stood Swamp.
After getting the campsites Swampy and I went to the campsites
when a short time later in pulled Oldyaker and shortly after that David arrived

My Camping area.
edisto%20001.jpg

Davids Tent
edisto%20004.jpg

Oldyaker & Swamps Hangout
edisto%20005.jpg

A overall picture of both sites.
edisto%20006.jpg

We got the camp set up then sat back for some chatter and a good supper of some potatoes (the size of footballs) and the steaks that Oldyaker brought.

Supper
edisto%20003.jpg

Up Friday morning to more good chow, eggs and hand made sausage links, big ones. Then figuring out how we were going to do things as far as the shuttle. Archie said he would do the shuttle for us but since David did not plan on paddling and had to leave Saturday morning he was going to do the shuttle for us, this way Archie could stay at his Blue Water Show and not lose a couple of hours doing the shuttle.
Plus we got a chance to look things and the area over in preparation for Saturday.

Friday night a supper of home made meat balls and spaghetti sauce, thanks to Oldyakers Mothers cooking.
edisto%20011.jpg

Saturday morning up and ready for the river run after some bacon and eggs.
edisto%20030.jpg

We were set for the river when Ranger, Larry stops by camp and tells us about the weather and when it is going to be in our area...... High winds, heavy rain, hail, tornadoes the whole ball of wax.
We dropped the plans to get on the river and broke camp, packed everything away for the simple fact none of us wanted to be in the park if something like that hit, those trees in the park are just to tall and to big. The day was written off to the weather and we sat the storm out in a parking lot away from any trees. After the worse passed we went back and set up camp.
To pick up our spirits we had some keilabasa sausage, kraut and baked beans which was nice since it did turn colder after that front passed thru.

Not much to do but hang out around the table.
edisto%20014.jpg

edisto%20013.jpg

Chuck.

4sons

Apr 5, 2005
trailer

I like the looks or that canoe trailer....

What model of the Hennessy was that in the pix?

4sons

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The guys said they are the Expedition and the Explorer Hammocks. I have the Safari Deluxe which is a slight bit larger and will hold more weight, not that I need it but after this trip it might come in handy.
You should of been there , Swampy gave Archie a short lession ( when he stopped by for a visit) on how to hang a hammock and let him try it since he has not used his yet.

This is from the topic ....
http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1403 about the trailer.

table2.jpg

Here is a better picture on how I used it in the park with the Tent Cot and a Kelty tarp.

edisto%20002.jpg

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

That iz indeed a fine lookin' Chuck Wagon. Now ya gotta git a sign fer the side "We Don't Rent Pigs". :mrgreen: :roll:

regards,
bearridge
bodine cattle company

Woodrow Call: ...and if that ain't bad enough you got all them Greek words on there, too.
Gus McCrae: I told you, Woodrow, a long time ago it ain't Greek, it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: Well what does it say in Latin? For all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance ta shoot at a educated man once in my life.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

That iz indeed a fine lookin' Chuck Wagon. Now ya gotta git a sign fer the side "We Don't Rent Pigs". :mrgreen: :roll:

regards,
bearridge
bodine cattle company

Got to watch that word (Pig) with me being a Retarded Law Enforcement and Swampy working for a while ( ago ) as a rent a cop at the local chop shop (Hospital).

I was thinking of helping the major minority by putting a sign on the side that said ...... "Honest Southern Lawyer on Vacation" but then I could see all of the wrecks it would cause going down an interstate when folks read it and broke out laughing which would make them lose control of there vehicles and cause wrecks. Then I would be listed as the cause of the wrecks........ No Thank's.

I still might just put on there ....... "No Rapids on this River , Follow me for a Good Time"...... Or "It never rains on me when camping" So much for truth in advertising. :lol: :lol: :lol: But we do have more fun then anyone and that is the idea about doing all of this.

Chuck.

JEM

Looks like it was a fine trip. Wish I could have gone.

I was supposed to get over to the paddlefest with Archie in SC but I had 2 things working against me: Had a family emergency come up and I manged to hurt my knee pretty bad.

Knee is healing and I'm sure I could have gotten plenty of help at the show unloading the boat and setting up a display. But the family thing needed my presence and a nice chunk of my money too. :(

Hopefully Archie isn't too mad at me. I hope I'll get an invite to next years show.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt

I asked Archie about your presentation at his show and he said you had a medical family emergency and both of us agreed that family comes 1st ... then anything else.
If anything Archie was like me ... sad on missing seeing you and having the pleasure of your presence but there is always tomorrow or next week. :D

Now , I will not tell you all of the names we were calling you while sitting around the campfire because it would not be nice to pick on a guy when he is down or trying to make a living for his family........ We can do that later when you are sitting there with us and able to defend yourself. :lol: Like next year after his show so we could get in a few days of camping at the Colleton State Park and padding on the Edisto.
Something to think about. :D

Chuck

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Archie told me (If my memory serves me right) there were between 200 to 300 folks there .... Now take into consideration the Air Show was going on in Charleston, the Grits Festival at St.George and his show only had a 3 month time span to let folks know about it.
Next year he said it will be planned when there is not anything else going on so it will have more , lots more of folks there.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
(If my memory serves me right)
:roll: :roll: :mrgreen: Good ta have ya back. Yer the joke tellin' king....'er mebbe the duke. :wink: That wuz a good un.

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true. Demosthenes