Elliott Heads & River (lots of Piccies) | SouthernPaddler.com

Elliott Heads & River (lots of Piccies)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G,day Guys,

Robin and I just got back from a short trip up the coast. The local canoe/kayak club had a weeksend trip planned for this weekend and we decided to join them.

Elliott Heads is a small town (about 700), about 65 miles by road north from here. It sits on the north shore at the mouth of the Elliott River and while we have visited the town a couple of times, we had never paddled the river.

To get there, involves driving through a lot of very good farming land. Rich,red, volcanic soil & fairly reliable rainfall. The predominant crops in this area, are sugar cane, small crops and the Queensland Bush Nut. A native fruit that took the Hawaians to devellope into a commercial crop. I think you guys know them as macadamias. :D

DSCF2245071640x480.jpg

DSCF2246072640x480.jpg

We had booked a cabin in a park on the beach at Elliott Heads and when we arrived, this was the view from the front verahdah :D

IMGP0749054640x480.jpg

50 yard walk to the beach. :D

DSCF2175001640x480.jpg

If there are any surfers here, you might enjoy this one. if not, it will make for a very nice kayak wave. :p Classic left hand reef break and no surfers? :shock: :shock: :D Will definately be spending some time here.

IMGP0762067640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Put in was 300 yards away from the cabin, right at the river mouth.

IMGP0789016640x480.jpg

IMGP0707012640x480.jpg

IMGP0708013640x480.jpg

IMG_1893002640x480.jpg

IMGP0711016640x480.jpg

It was low tide when we put in, so we headed up stream with the current and wind. Forecast was for 20 to 25 knot N to NE wind and another hot day. With the wind and tide at our backs, we headed up stream & across the vast sandy shallows here.

DSCF2233059640x480.jpg

IMG_1900009640x480.jpg

and past some likely looking camp sites. :D

IMGP0717022640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
We continued up stream. The current was very strong and the wind was freshening all the time and it seemed to be funnelling right up the river. This made for very good paddling upstream but I started to worry about paddling back in the heat, and against it.

We did not know this river and whether shade, if any, was available. As it turned out, there was very little shade to be had and we had to make do with lots of cooling swims. :D

We got to this sand bank, about 5 miles up stream where decided to call it a day and head back after yet, another swim.

IMGP0737042640x480.jpg

While I was in the water, Robin saw a shark nearby (probably a river whaler or bull shark) si I didn't stay in there very long.

The tide was still rising so we used the eddies along the banks as much as we could coming back into the tide and wind. Even so, it was a heck of a slog. Temps were up around 100 by this time and by the time we got back to the put in, we were mildly heat stressed and totally exhausted. Seems we are not as paddle fit as we should be and will have to work on that! (lots more trips coming up) :p

Some of the other paddlers were playing in the waves in the mouth of the river when we got back but we were in no state to join them or to even take some piccies. A quick chat and back to the cabin for a shower and little lay down.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Today, was too hot and we were both too tired and sore to join the club members in their organised paddle, so we just sat round in the shade till it was time to come home.

Robin made friends with this bloke - a magpie who kept harrassing her for her food.

IMGP0774001640x480.jpg

And this little guy also came in for a look. Not sure what sort it was but I think it is a small Eastern Brown.

IMGP0780007640x480.jpg

The birds went beserk when he showed up and they soon chased him off. :shock:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Really nice Mick! Makes me wish I was there. Thanks for that great report. Very soon I will really wish I was there....Here is a picture for you taken from the front porch of my house. :cry:
This is not from this year, but your heading into summer, and I'm rolloing into winter. :? :( :cry:

Picture_26.jpg

gator_8_em

Oct 30, 2005
Southeast Georgia
Next time I go to Subway's I'll ask for some Queensland Bush Nut cookies. You think they'll know what I'm talking about? And, nice pics.....looks like a beautiful river to paddle!!

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I have done a bunch of traveling and Ill say mate the only 2 places outside the US I want to go back to are Aussie Land and New Zealand
Awesome country scenery and water
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I felt like I wuz rite there with ya'll. I seen a few good lookin' campin' spots along the bank. Not takin' nuthin' away frum yer bungalo....with magpies 'n snakes. :wink: That kinda surf looks perfect fer a Yahoo.....

regards
bearridge

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.  James Madison

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day and thanks guys,

The Elliott River is little more than a big creek, really but it is very pretty. This part of the coast is off the main tourist route so it still remains a very pleasant, old fashioned style. We like that :D

Ron, the snake was probably an Eastern Brown (venemous) but also could have been a stree snake (non venemous) or a small taipan (very venemous) They all look very similar and they all live in this area.

There was a bunch of little honey eating birds in the park at the time and they just swarmed the snake, swooping and pecking at it till it got back out of sight in the long grass. Quite a sight.

Bear, I am not real sure exactly what a Yahoo is, but any surf capable kayak would work there. I was wishing I had made the cockpit on my Laker to fit one of my spraydecks.

Oldyaker mate, We sure would like a LITTLE of that snow here just now. It is 04.00 and I am sitting here in shorts and nothing else and in a lather of sweat. Each summer seems a little hotter than the last.

A cooling SE change is forcast for tonight with storm fronts preceeding it so that will be something to look forward to. :D

Here is a piccie of the bar at the river mouth

IMGP0772077640x480.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Looks a little similar to our wave skis :p and yes, they would work very well on these waves.

A very low volume, sit in kayak with a flat bottom, good rocker and hard rails would work even better :D

JAYCEESFOLLY

Jul 8, 2007
Upstate New York
Mick:

I like the beautiful beaches, but where are the beach bunnies? I wish it was warm here in Upstate NY, the weatherman is calling for lake effect snow for Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a cold front coming down from Canada and is supposed to cover the eastern half of the country this week. It's almost snowmobile season here! Another few weeks and I will have to put the piro away for the winter.

JC

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

All snakes are permanently protected here. It is illegal to kill them. :shock:

G'day JC,

I was going to take some piccies of beach bunnies, (Bear calles them Landscapes) :D but Mis Robin has no sense of humour when it comes to stuff like me taking piccies of other beautiful women. :D and I don't like having my knees broken. :lol:

Re the cold front approaching you. - I can only guess what that must be like. We had a total of about 4 weeks winter here this year and then it got below freezing only 3 times.

The forecast cool SE change has just come through here and the temps have dropped to about 85 - lovely. :D Might get some sleep tonight.